Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today has rebranded iTunes Podcasts to be called "Apple Podcasts," and updated its marketing website for podcasters to learn how the new branding can help promote their shows. Apple Podcasts promo materials now include a new "Listen on Apple Podcasts" badge, while most of the pre-existing graphics standards and podcast identity guidelines remain unchanged.

The rebranding also stretches to the company's Twitter account, where iTunes Podcasts has now turned into @ApplePodcasts so users can get up-to-date recommendations on the newest and best podcasts right from their Twitter feed. The functionality and look of the official Podcasts iOS app appears to have remained the same for now.

apple-podcasts.jpg
It's official: iTunes Podcasts is now @ApplePodcasts. Podcasters, we've got a great new badge to help you promote your shows. ?💜📻 pic.twitter.com/c9ZWVmSCsq - Steve Wilson (@StephenWilson) April 13, 2017
The new name falls in line with Apple's recent decision to place the company's name in front of the service or product in question -- like Apple Music and Apple Pencil -- and further distances itself from iTunes. During the Code Media Conference this past February, Eddy Cue admitted that Podcasts are seeing a "huge resurgence," and that Apple will "absolutely" do more with the medium in the future.

Today's rebranding could be the first step in that direction for the company.

Article Link: Apple Rebrands iTunes Podcasts as 'Apple Podcasts'

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I listen to ~6 different podcasts right now during my commute to and from work. I expect I'll probably do something else with that time once my car is fully autonomous next year.

So the resurgence is probably short lived, assuming most people are just listening while driving right now.

Reactions: tennisproha
I'm waiting for the day iTunes on the Mac is renamed to "Music". I believe that day is coming too.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-rebrand-as-music-imminent.1896776/

Perhaps. But it would be breaking it up into several parts with only one of them being called "music".
[doublepost=1492096330][/doublepost]
What's next.. the "Apple iPhone"
It kind of already is the Apple iPhone... it would have to become the "Apple Phone"

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This sounds like they're finally breaking up iTunes at WWDC. My prediction for new apps on the Mac: Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, Apple TV (maybe like the TV app on iOS, and has all your "iTunes" movies and shows as well?), and something new for iTunes U. I almost put Apple U, but that seems a little weird. So perhaps a new branding. As for managing iOS devices, they'll probably include a utility for Macs and PCs for the users who still do that—which I imagine is a small but vocal minority.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
THANK YOU!

They may be finally working on this whole iTunes branding issue. Maybe a MASSIVE iTunes change is coming.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I love podcasts. But Apple really should have given people a way to monetize them. Free is great, but the people making them have to pay for it somehow. Which means a ton of ads. I'd happily pay for some podcasts to be ad free. Also for higher quality productions.

I don't want the free ones to vanish. I'd just like the option to either listen to ads or pay and not have to listen to ads for each cast.

I'm hoping that option is part of their future plans.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I think Apple is heading in the direction of axing the iTunes name altogether. They are already re-indexing in Google with iTunes Store content now being branded 'Apple Music'. I've noticed some album searches don't even include the '- iTunes' at the end of the title. I think it is a sign of things to come.
As much as I dislike it, I believe Apple is going to end up axing the iTunes Store and forcing users over to the Apple Music ecosystem.
We are seeing Apple consolidate in other areas of their business, wouldn't surprise me at all.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I welcome this rebranding, next should be "Apple Phone", "Apple Pad", "Mac" (iMac) and iTunes should split into Apple Media Store (which would be nice if you could buy Macs and other products from there too) and Apple Music IMO.

Reactions: 69650

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
If you think about it, evidence of the breakup of iTunes is right in front of us. iOS has separate apps for music, video (TV and Video apps), podcasts, and the App Store, which are all still currently integrated in iTunes on the mac side.

I would be surprised if Apple did not announce this breakup at wwdc.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I don't like the unnecessary move towards 'apple' in the name of products and services. iTunes has become well established as a term, similar to iPhone but I can see them moving away from it.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
So the resurgence is probably short lived, assuming most people are just listening while driving right now.
For once, until a significant proportion of car users will have fully autonomous cars at least 20 years will have passed. I wouldn't call that time span 'short-lived'.

But more importantly, compared to driving, how many hours per week do you spend on:
  • Running errands and what percentage of that time is spent not sitting in your car but, eg, walking, waiting in line, (un)loading your car, etc. ?
  • Doing household chores?
  • Doing any kind of exercise?

cn1dlm

Canceled
Oct 17, 2013
I'm not surprised they are gradually getting rid the 'i' in front of their products and services, but the one thing I'm not looking forward to is yet another iCloud name crisis.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
iTunes is not a bad name, it was just abused for too long. Glad to see Apple cleaning that up, but I don't necessarily agree with their direction ("Apple" everything).

Reactions: brendu

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
I love podcasts. But Apple really should have given people a way to monetize them. Free is great, but the people making them have to pay for it somehow. Which means a ton of ads. I'd happily pay for some podcasts to be ad free. Also for higher quality productions.

I don't want the free ones to vanish. I'd just like the option to either listen to ads or pay and not have to listen to ads for each cast.

I'm hoping that option is part of their future plans.

There are already plenty of subscription podcasts, e.g., https://www.connectpal.com/darksecretplace .

I'm glad Apple hasn't done this because if they did, they would take 30% and screw over the creators they way they do app developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.