Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_wifi_3g_signal.jpg

Yesterday, we began to hear word that Apple had intercepted certain iPad 2 orders while in transit, with FedEx tracking having shown the orders nearly reaching their destination before being updated with a "package returned to shipper notice". 9 to 5 Mac received similar information and discovered that the issue is affecting quite a few orders, although seemingly limited to Verizon models.

According to one Apple retail store employee, the company's stores have also been provided with a list of serial numbers of Verizon iPads that are to be pulled from inventory and returned to Apple, suggesting that the issue is not in fact limited to engraved units.
Apple has given all the stores a list of serial numbers to scan, if it's a match we were told to set aside and ship back to Apple, these are only for Verizon ipads. This was to be done on Monday and continue to scan all shipments thru June 11. I had over one hundred to send back.
Based on updated information, it appears that the issue may be a malfunction causing Verizon iPad 2s that have had cellular service activated to be unable to bring up account information for viewing and editing.

Customers calling FedEx and Apple to inquire about their order statuses are apparently being given conflicting information, although the overall picture does seem to be that Apple has pulled the order mid-shipment and is sending out replacements. The reason for the withdrawal of Verizon iPad 2 units is unknown at this time, although it seems reasonable to speculate that Apple has identified a bad batch of units containing some sort of defect.

Some affected customers have reported requesting and receiving credits or free accessories from Apple as compensation for the delays in receiving orders due to the issue, although it is unclear whether this is a specific company policy in place regarding the issue or simply customer service representatives acting at their own discretion within general policy guidelines.

Update: An Apple Store employee has informed us that the issue stems from Verizon having accidentally duplicated Mobile Equipment Identifiers (MEIDs), issuing on the bad batch MEIDs that had been previously used on other Verizon iPads. When users with iPads carrying duplicate MEIDs attempt to set up cellular data accounts, the system sees their devices as having already been set up.

Article Link: Apple Recalling Verizon iPad 2 Orders in Transit? [Updated]

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Some affected customers have reported requesting and receiving credits or free accessories from Apple as compensation for the delays in receiving orders due to the issue,

Here's a deal for you: Wait for a new one or we can give you the broken one today.

Go ahead, it's your choice!

chinesechikn

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, recalls certainly are a rareity with apple products considering how many innovative products they develop, so not a big deal

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
There are more VZW ipads sitting in the local stores around me that a recall would not effect them.

In the local Target's and Walmarts, there clogging the shelves cause no one wants them . Everyone's waiting for LTE from Verizon in this area.

AT&T dominates

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
What about those purchased at Verizon stores?

Yesterday I ordered an iPad2 at a Verizon store. Are Verizon stores going to be scanning their serial numbers for the recall or is it only Apple Stores?

There are more VZW ipads sitting in the local stores around me that a recall would not effect them.

In the local Target's and Walmarts, there clogging the shelves cause no one wants them . Everyone's waiting for LTE from Verizon in this area.

AT&T dominates

Where I live, everyone wants a Verizon iAnything. Ive been an AT&Teaser for a while, so I cant attest to one's superiority over the other.

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

got a white verizon model on inaugural day. no issues thus far.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

AT&T dominates

It doesn't seem to me that the VZW version is undesirable b/c of lack of LTE as the ATT is 3G too. However, what was a turn off for me with the VZW version is that the 3G service is limited to the the U.S. where as I can take my ATT version almost anywhere in the world, buy a relatively inexpensive prepaid SIM card on arrival and have data at my beck and call.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I saw this headline and hoped it was evidence of iminent release of iPad 3 :D

But I think the real story is these recalled iPads are contaminated from Fukishima. :eek:

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The issue is that a few Verizon iPads have been given the same meim number, so as a preventive measure all iPads are being scanned. It's no big deal so stop stressing. The issue is that when trying to activate you cant because the number has already been used. And as there is no sim card to switch out only option is new unit. If your Verizon iPad works then it doesn't affect you.

EGlasheen

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Just picked up my Verizon iPad 2 on Wednesday, my third exchange due to defective displays. So far no issues with logging on and viewing my Verizon account info.

Waiting to see if my new, and "perfect" iPad is on the hit list.

Do I go for exchange number 4 and chance getting a defective display or consider myself lucky that my third one is perfect?

Apple really needs to ramp up their quality control, fire FoxxConn ( hmmm. having Con and Fox in your company name... Suspicious ).

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010

The issue is that a few Verizon iPads have been given the same meim number, so as a preventive measure all iPads are being scanned. It's no big deal so stop stressing. The issue is that when trying to activate you cant because the number has already been used. And as there is no sim card to switch out only option is new unit. If your Verizon iPad works then it doesn't affect you.

I was on vacation last week, and I hadn't turned on my data till I was there even though I have had my Ipad for a while now.

Anyhow, it wouldnt activate for anything, now that I'm back I need to take it in, but I havn't had a chance yet. But is this an Apple or Verizon problem?

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
When AT&T blew out the refurbished 1st gens they set-up the data services as a post pay, which makes the same problem happen. For whatever reason, the only fix is to replace the sim card.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Just proof yet again that AT&T is still superior! ;)

Verizon has done nothing but embarrass Apple. First, they crippled the iPhone (no data/voice multitasking) and now they cause a huge financial and customer satisfaction mess with this iPad screw-up.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Just proof yet again that AT&T is still superior! ;)

Nope. Just a proof that Apple has no experience in releasing more than one model of anything.

Verizon has done nothing but embarrass Apple. First, they crippled the iPhone (no data/voice multitasking) and now they cause a huge financial and customer satisfaction mess with this iPad screw-up.

Being ridiculous, aren't you? Apple knew all well that by design CDMA does not allow for concurrent voice/data transmission and yet they begged Verizon to accept iPhone (after Droids started killing it). I hope it was sarcasm.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
First Verizon can't do math and now they can't keep track of MEID numbers that are in use and those numbers which can be deployed?!

And I am to trust "The Network"? And their LTE? :rolleyes:

No thanks! :mad:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
First Verizon can't do math and now they can't keep track of MEID numbers that are in use and those numbers which can be deployed?!

And I am to trust "The Network"? And their LTE? :rolleyes:

No thanks! :mad:

Reminds me of something that happen in the 90's with a company and network cards. It was not a pretty ending. Just can't remember the companies name. Oh well glad to see Apple is on top of the issue. Would have been one big PR headache if people had gotten these ipads 2.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

These ipads are the ones that support Flash. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.