Apple Receives FCC Approval For What Appears to Be a New Beddit 3.5 Sleep Monitor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today received FCC approval for a nondescript "sleep monitor" in the United States. While much of the application is hidden due to a standard confidentiality agreement, one document reveals that the sleep monitor is "designed by Beddit in California" and has an all-new model number 3.5.

[​IMG]

Simply put, this could end up being an all-new Beddit 3.5 sleep monitor that Apple will eventually release, but no further details are available. It could also be a modified version of the existing Beddit 3 sleep monitor.

Apple acquired Beddit, a company that develops health-related hardware, in May 2017 and continues to sell the Beddit 3 sleep monitor for $149.95 on its online store. The thin, flexible sensor is placed under the sheet on top of the mattress and automatically begins tracking sleep-related data when you lie down.

[​IMG]

The data collected and analyzed includes sleep time and efficiency, heart rate, respiration, temperature, movement, snoring, room temperature, and room humidity. The data can be viewed in the Beddit app on iPhone and iPad.

Beddit technology is based upon a scientific principle known as ballistocardiography or BCG, described as an unobtrusive, non-invasive technique for measuring the mechanical activity of the heart, lungs, and other body functions:
    There has been hope that Apple's acquisition of Beddit could lay the foundation for first-party sleep monitoring on the Apple Watch, but this FCC application does not appear to be related to the Apple Watch.

Article Link: Apple Receives FCC Approval For What Appears to Be a New Beddit 3.5 Sleep Monitor

2. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

Wake me up when Apple comes out with a first party sleep tracking app for the Apple Watch.

3. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Let's hope they made it more durable than the past three beddits that apple replaced for me.

4. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

At the very-real risk of going full "Get off my lawn", what exactly is the purpose of this? I know when I don't sleep well. I know when I snore. I know when I can't breathe. I know when I'm too hot.

This reminds me of the "Smart Cups" that connect to your phone to tell you how much water you have drank.

I'm open for any explanations or real use-cases members want to share. Not trying to be snarky :)

5. OverSpun macrumors 65816

OverSpun

Same. I use Pillow now and it works good. Definitely interested if Apple makes a better app.

6. frumpywumpy macrumors newbie

Part of what I find appealing about these kinds of tools is the empirical nature enables me to check my subjective. So, for example, when I was getting an average of 6 hrs sleep for months after a newborn human child came to live with me, I got so used to sleep deprivation that I could honestly no longer remember what being fully rested was like. In my case, the baby's pediatrician told me that I was behaving like a sleep deprived person and I was actually surprised.

A tool that gives quantifiable feedback may help many people were in my boat but don't have a doctor to tell them that their subjective experience has actually been calibrated at sub-optimal levels, and then, depending on the ML/AI could essentially prescribe custom sleep adjustments, and then actually track whether those adjustments have hit target goals.

:shrug:

7. Rigby macrumors 601

Are you sure? :p

I don't necessarily disagree, but there are two useful features: detecting when is a good time to wake you up (in a "shallow" part of the sleep cycle) and detecting signs of sleep disorder that you may not be aware of.

8. wigby macrumors 68000

How do you know any of those things while you are sleeping? There are tons of metrics that you couldn't possibly observe, measure and log while you sleep. Sleep science is still relatively new so these products are viewed skeptically but it is a science that has lead to diagnoses of millions suffering from sleep disorders for instance. And until we can collect enough data from enough people, doctors and scientists will not be able to treat the incredible amount of disorders that many suffer from during the 1/3 of their entires lives that they sleep.

9. tennisproha macrumors 65816

Exactly. Apple Watch not having sleep tracking built-in makes no sense. They could probably incorporate this into the watch sensor.

10. grayskies macrumors regular

I have terrible sleep habits and so it is obvious. I'm regularly tired/exhausted. As posted earlier, it has become my norm. While I don't think such a device will help my individual situation, it may. The power in the empirical data lies in finding patterns that are not obvious. I feel pretty certain that new insights can be gained from this kind of device.

11. rgbrock1 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2018 ---
    Yeah, that's want I want. A tech company to keep tabs on my sleep. (Or lack thereof, if you know what I mean!)

12. McTool macrumors 6502

McTool

13. makr macrumors regular

What sort of problems you had, I'm curious? Also do you like it overall?

14. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

15. Stryder541 macrumors newbie

Stryder541

The problem with with sleep disorders like Sleep Apnea is that they gradually increase in severity over time. I was aware of being tired most of the time, but didn’t know anything about sleep disorders and thought it was a temporary problem. Falling asleep briefly during my morning commute caused me to contact my doctor and a sleep study confirmed severe sleep apnea.

I’ve used the Beddit for two years and it provides far more sleep quality info than anything else. I’ve never needed a replacement, but I check it each night to make sure it hasn’t moved or the cable isn’t snagged. I highly recommend it.

16. rcread macrumors member

rcread

I guess I could use the data from this device to prove to my wife that I sleep better when it's colder, but the odds of her agreeing to lower the thermostat are astronomical.

17. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Am I the only one who initially read this as a "BBEdit sleep tracker"? I was like whoa, I know older apps tend to take on more functionality but WTF..."

18. Arbuthnott macrumors member

I find this device brilliant. I am also on my third, but the latest one has gone for more than a year with no problems. The previous two simply stopped detecting/recording heartbeat, or only collected information occasionally through the night. No obvious reason or visible damage. The collected info is very complete and confirms all sorts of supposition - for example too much cheese at night; effect of alcohol; sleep disruption because of change of time zone (and how long to recover from jet lag); it picks up when I’m occasionally mildly under the weather even when it’s not obvious to me (eg everyone else has horrible colds or flu, but all I notice is a small increase in sleeping breathing and pulse rates). Could I live perfectly fine without it? Yes, of course. But it does allow me to track my overall health and well-being. And it keeps track of when I start burning the candle at both ends.

19. niji Contributor

niji

i bought the beddit device about 6 weeks ago.
    i had never heard of it, and actually didnt know that apple had acquired them.
    i have encountered no problems at all with it.

there is no way that through using this device/app that you improve yr sleep.
    but, the data it provides you is valuable to know what's going on.

1 sleep cycles is amazing to look at (beddit avoids the term REM sleep by calling the cycles deep and light)
    result: its really clear to me that these cycles are truely washing away something: the more cycles and the deeper the peaks/valleys does result in a more refreshed wake up.
    again, its merely reporting data, not actually helping you improve sleep.

2 respiratory rate. this kind of data is not otherwise available right now without a separate device.
    even the apple watch 4 can't do this yet (however, apple does have a patent that will eventually allow the watch to measure this. the patent involves pulse oximetry but hasn't been implemented yet).
    elevated respiratory rates are caused by a variety of factors. often times you yourself cant feel a difference between 12 and 14 rate. but for your body, that small difference seems to be quite large.
    again, just reported data, not able to be used to improve yr condition.

3 since i don't own an apple watch yet, heartbeat rate during the night to understand how low it becomes (within norms, in general the lower the better for a resting heart rate) tracking this while in bed and seeing what the rate was just before you even got out of bed is very useful

people have mentioned snoring. as i have mentioned above, the beddit device/app really doesn't give info about how to improve any of the data it provides, it just gives you the data along with some generalized info.
    but it is amazing that if the data is showing you have snored, i, at least, had not been aware of it. so that was also interesting.

if apple is somehow going to improve either the device or app, i am all in for it.

20. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Forget the analysis data for a second. Let’s look at the real quality of sleep improvements that can be achieved with a device like this.

Waking up to an alarm is like a lottery. If it rings just as you’ve come out of a REM cycle, you’ll wake up feeling rested and will start the day off on the right foot. But,if the alarm wakes you while in the middle of a sleep cycle, while you’re in deep sleep, you’re going to wake up startled and will feel groggy while you stumble out of bed and go through your morning routine. The odds of the latter happening are much higher rhan your alarm waking you up at the perfect time.

What if your alarm could wake you up at the perfect time every single morning? A sleep analyzer like this can do exactly that. It knows when you’re exiting a REM cycle so it can delay or ring your alarm early by a few minutes to wake you at just the right time. That alone justifies this device. The analytics are a bonus that can help you to make adjustments in your sleep environment.

21. Arbuthnott macrumors member

Ye
    Yes, it definitely shows dramatically better sleep at lower temperature and humidity.

22. JPSaltzman macrumors regular

JPSaltzman

1. You hit the bed at 10:30.
    2. You were asleep within 30 minutes.
    3. You slept soundly until 3:00 or 3:30 a.m.
    4. You tried to go back to sleep, but generally half-slept and tossed and turned until 5:00 a.m., when you got fed up and got out of bed.
    5. Go make coffee.
    6. End of report.

23. Arbuthnott macrumors member

I guess trying it first and critiquing it afterwards would be the normal approach. And clearly you have never used one, JP!

24. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

That’s the foundation of MacRumors.

25. bollman macrumors regular

I get up at 5am with or without an alarm clock. If I feel tired, I go to sleep earlier until I feel rested and go back to having a bedtime between 11pm and midnight.
    It takes at least of week off until I start to sleep a bit longer in the morning, regardless of bedtime. The other night I got home really late, like 1am, and I still got up at 5am. That made me very tired, so I went to bed at 10pm, and up at 5.
    No software in the world is going to change that.

I'm a bit curious, are people really that out of touch with their bodies?