Apple recently hired android programmers

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bbplayer5, Sep 7, 2015.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

What are the chances we will see the Apple Watch work on Android? I think this would be a great idea and broaden the sales base drastically.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Hiring Android programmers doesn't necessarily mean they're working on an Android-compatible AW.

3. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

True, but with Google coming over to iOS with android wear, Apple should probably consider it. For instance - my employer uses Android phones. A lot of people are getting smart watches so they dont have to check their phone for email, text etc. They have no option to use the AW even though we have 90% mac computers here.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They probably won't. Google needs Apple more than the other way around, given how much Android Wear sucks.

5. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

It's not about how much it sucks. It will continue to improve. The new moto 360 sport looks like the ultimate workout watch running android wear.

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I am curious, since I have not used it... What sucks about Android Wear?

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Neither have I, but there are many posts about Android Wear. You're a regular here and you haven't read them?

Same concept as not owning an Android phone but knowing that they suck based on what we've seen.

8. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

I've used it at work and several coworkers have the moto watch. Its actually really nice, and less buggy than AW. The real shocker is the new Samsung watch honestly. Has the potential to be better than both platforms.

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

They're hiring Android devs to work on Apple Music, which they're porting to Android and also the "Migrate to iOS" Android tool. Little chance of seeing Apple Watch support on Android.

If you're talking about Gear S2, which does look awesome, it's not Android Wear, they're running Tizen now and they're planning to support both Android and iOS.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

And that is why I hope Apple does a AW2 next year!

11. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thats why I said better than both platforms :p

Looks like Ill be forced to find a watch that will sync with both platforms :(

12. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

No, I had not seen any of the Android posts here that cover the issues. Given the strength of your statement, I thought you had first-hand perspective on it. That is why I asked.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I guess you didn't visit this sub-forum when it first debuted, because they were many such posts in the beginning comparing the AW to other smartwatches.

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They're hiring Android developers because of Apple Music. Sorry.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You don't have the AW, or you have an Android?

16. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

I have an Apple watch, but its annoying that I cant get notifications on my work phone with it. I don't care about replying to notifications on a watch, just that I get them.

17. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

0%