Apple recognises Rosa Parks

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Abercrombieboy said:
Well I think many years ago they said they would pull Think Different. out of the desk drawer for times like this.

Well, if that's the case then there won't be many times we'll see this on the front page - and then only when someone dies. That's kind of sad - they should come up with a new set of people....

D

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Interesting. Did Rosa Parks agree to this campaign? I know that she sued several companies for their misuse of her name in advertising. Perhaps this was an agreement between her and Apple before her death.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
wordmunger said:
Interesting. Did Rosa Parks agree to this campaign? I know that she sued several companies for their misuse of her name in advertising. Perhaps this was an agreement between her and Apple before her death.

Strange that she'd think that this ad would be a misuse of her name. I think its the type of thing that typifies what she did - anyone do a google search on that?

D

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
wordmunger said:
Yes, she did a few years ago. It is nice to see large corporations show some heart. It is very rare.

Here is one of the original Think Different posters...
http://www.redlightrunner.com/rosparthindi.html

Hickman

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
wordmunger said:
Apple does this for everyone really important who dies.

Like George Harrison.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
All the people riding in that bus are probably now dead. That was definitely a different time and place. Pretty foreign for me. Now gone into the history books.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
Wow.
I love it.

I love how they're raising awareness about civil rights leaders and protest instigators. (Can't think of a better phrasing. bla)

and standard mac user response:
*checks Microsoft site*
Hmm.. no mention of Mrs. Parks anywhere.

OT: I do wish they'd bring back the "Think Different" ads, though. I always got goosebumps seeing all the incredible artists and cultural icons.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Good for Apple. I looked at all the other computer companies I could think of, non of them had squat (not like I was expecting them to). Rosa Parks was defiantly an important person who thought different.
This also reminds me - Apple was the first to have a "donate" to hurricane katrina relief.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Great message and nice image for the front page...it's really clean and sets out the message perfectly. Go Apple!

I think "Think Different" was just the attitude that changed America in the 60s...it wasn't "Incite Revolution" or "Pray for Change", but it was the peaceful but firm mentality, the "Think Different" viewpoint.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
katie ta achoo said:
Wow.
I love it.

I love how they're raising awareness about civil rights leaders and protest instigators. (Can't think of a better phrasing. bla)

and standard mac user response:
*checks Microsoft site*
Hmm.. no mention of Mrs. Parks anywhere.
MS or Dell putting something up would be in poor taste, IMO. Apple can get away w/it because of the roots and culture of the company.

Lethal

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Lacero said:
All the people riding in that bus are probably now dead. That was definitely a different time and place. Pretty foreign for me. Now gone into the history books.
Sadly, it wasn't that long ago. We're still a few years away from true equality, but thanks to people like her, we are a few steps closer. I wish more people had the courage to stand up, so to speak, for their rights.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Apple is great. "Think Different" ads are great.

Rosa Parks is not so great.

Criticitize me for "Thinking Different"

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
What makes her so great? She refused to give up her seat on a bus?

Please! Give me a break! I thought Mac users thought different? I guess not.

I am not a racist is any way, but Rosa Parks is nothing special.

Sorry I should have been politically correct.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Frisco said:

I hope there was sarcasm in your post. Yes, Ms. Parks has been quoted that she was just "tired" and that was the reason for her not giving up her seat. Regardless she set in motion the bringing down the big wall of racism in the US at the time. Maybe you believe that Reagan's call for Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin wall was the true reason that the Berlin Wall came down.

No, these walls were broken down by a single person, acting out against repression - to bring about social change. Sometimes that individual loses, as they did during the Tianium (sp? - for sure) Square. But Rosa Parks struck a winning note for those held back by prejudices and hatred.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Frisco said:

Sorry I should have been politically correct.
It isn't the fact that she refused to give up her seat, I'm sure that had happened before. It's the fact that she kept fighting it, and let the world know how she was treated, it opened most everyone's eyes, that's why we remember her as such a great person, along with Martin Luther King Jr. <sarcasm>But I suppose he didn't make that big of a difference either.</sarcasm>
Besides, if I remember correctly, didn't what she did start a boycott of all of the buses, which really helped the fight against racism?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
There always has to be someone here to ruin these types of threads. If you don't think she's anything special, perhaps you should look her up. ;)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
solvs said:
There always has to be someone here to ruin these types of threads. If you don't think she's anything special, perhaps you should look her up. ;)
Just as 2000 years ago there was a rebel that defied the laws and precepts of that time. Funny how we now celebrate his birth and death. For the clueless, it was Jesus Christ. History is filled with those that "think different" and have a positive effect on mankind.