Apple recovery key

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Furzul, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

l have just had to use my Apple recovery key. The one you get when you enable two step verification.
    My question is, now I have used it, do I have to get a new one or can I use the same one again if necessary?

2. Rigby macrumors 601

Go to appleid.apple.com. Under "Password and Security", you can generate a new recovery key. I think the old one should also still work, but I'm not sure, so it's probably better to get a new one.

BTW, the recovery keys will be phased out as Apple updates people to the new 2-factor authentication over the next few months.

3. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

And how will the new system work? The recovery key is used when you lose access via a trusted device.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

You'll have to go through a lengthy recovery process with Apple support. I'm not very happy about this either, but apparently many people are unable to keep a recovery key somewhere where they don't lose it.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I wish they gave you an option. So Apple has to do this for the people who can't keep their recovery key? I rather have the recovery key then rely on someone at Apple.