Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Nobody with money wants to replace their Audemars Piguet Royal Oak with an iWatch,
Maybe during workout and certain occasions but as a high end watch, lollllllll r u serious

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Listen. There will be a range of models somewhere under $1000. Possibly starting under $500. There will ALSO be a special class of models in the thousands. They will all have the same functionality (save for GB or something), but in different tiers because of their band designs.

Don't think of it like the iphone or ipad pricing model. It's a range of devices to appeal to people's different design tastes. Different classes of designs, way different prices, same functionality.

Listen?.. you will have to shout up our kid, I think we are in a different country... #

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Nobody with money wants to replace their Audemars Piguet Royal Oak with an iWatch,
Maybe during workout and certain occasions but as a high end watch, lollllllll r u serious

You're talking about a market of perhaps tens of thousands of people worldwide who buy $60k watches. It isn't worth Apple's time to go after them. They're interested in the hundreds of millions who would pay a few hundred bucks for one.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
It would be very easy to spot someone wearing the iWatch in public. Just look for the duct tape.

I think it's packing tape... much sleeker. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the iWatch will become something many people use as much as their smartphone, while others never buy one. Will be interesting to see.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
You're talking about a market of perhaps tens of thousands of people worldwide who buy $60k watches. It isn't worth Apple's time to go after them. They're interested in the hundreds of millions who would pay a few hundred bucks for one.

Oh I totally agree with you.

The guy above thinks that apple will go after the high end watch market cuz "the rich ppl r using iPhones n the rumor says they will releze multiple watchz"

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
I think this is the problem that Apple will face with the iWatch: not a lot of people actually *wear* watches any more.

20 years ago it would have been unusual for anyone to not wear one, but now if you take a sample of random people on the street I'd be surprised if more than 5-10% were. It's something that is no longer necessary in day to day life.

Perhaps in order to be successful, the iWatch needs to not look like a watch.

Me waring a phone in my pocket, just next to my nutz with all that radiation no chance.

- me, 15 years ago

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Of course I don't know for sure, but it stands to reason. Of course Apple would want to sell millions of the lower priced cheap models, and several of a higher tier. Apple wants their product to be a status symbol. Why would a celebrity wear a cheap watch when all of their friends are wearing expensive ones?

But if there is an expensive high class iWatch, it'll be the one everyone with money wants.

You're there with the money thing again fella.. let it go, any Tom dick or Harry can afford 399 on a handset.. it's not expensive, it's not a status symbol. It's not for the wealthy.. it's a white goods commodity these days.. can you imagine buyers of proper luxury brands slavering over a new release only 8 months after purchase...ready to bin "their pride and joy" on Craig's list.. is that how long the current attention span is.. boy do those static icons quickly get boring!..

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
It better not cost thousands of dollars even for a high end model. Apple better keep the price under $300 or there is a very small chance I will get it. I am not a big watch wearer as it is.

Pan321

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
It's a good marketing strategy, if nothing else. Get a whole lot of top athletes wearing the iWatch on day one, and people are going to take notice.

And hey, if Apple does want to market this thing for fitness, it doesn't hurt to get feedback from people who are very fit and know what they want from something like this.

It's a good marketing strategy??????

Like the way they launched the ipod?
Or the way they launched the iphone?
Ipad?

I don't recall them lining up a pile of celebrities to use it.

In marketing this is called borrowed interest. The product doesn't carry itself so lets attach it to something else that people like and maybe it will rub off.

THAT'S what you do when you're concerned the product is too weak to sell itself. The marketing strategy for the iphone was to show it and demo it. Period.

That's been Apple's marketing strategy for years.

A lot of the moves I'm seeing come out of Tim Cook are the decisions that come out of all big companies. That's not the end of the world ... but the old apple is kind of dying ...

We'll have to see where this leads. I fear it's to an iwatch that will tell you your blood sugar levels 24/7 .... hmmmm.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
You're there with the money thing again fella.. let it go, any Tom dick or Harry can afford 399 on a handset.. it's not expensive, it's not a status symbol. It's not for the wealthy.. it's a white goods commodity these days.. can you imagine buyers of proper luxury brands slavering over a new release only 8 months after purchase...ready to bin "their pride and joy" on Craig's list.. is that how long the current attention span is.. boy do those static icons quickly get boring!..

only da rich buy the iphon mang.
po ppl dont use iphon.
dey use blackberr.

----------

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1747010/

It's a good marketing strategy??????

Like the way they launched the ipod?
Or the way they launched the iphone?
Ipad?

I don't recall them lining up a pile of celebrities to use it.

In marketing this is called borrowed interest. The product doesn't carry itself so lets attach it to something else that people like and maybe it will rub off.

THAT'S what you do when you're concerned the product is too weak to sell itself. The marketing strategy for the iphone was to show it and demo it. Period.

That's been Apple's marketing strategy for years.

A lot of the moves I'm seeing come out of Tim Cook are the decisions that come out of all big companies. That's not the end of the world ... but the old apple is kind of dying ...

We'll have to see where this leads. I fear it's to an iwatch that will tell you your blood sugar levels 24/7 .... hmmmm.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Maybe we can simplify this thread (and all iwatch threads) with the following handy multiple choice list:

1. I've paid (tens of) thousands of dollars for a status symbol that tells time, and I scoff at any watch affordable by the masses, even if it has 100x more functionality than my "handcrafted swiss timepiece."
  2. I've never worn a watch and won't wear this one because I have a cell phone to tell time, and clearly, since this is called a watch, it won't be able to do anything else useful.
  3. Fitness wearables are amazing, have changed my life, and will change yours too, if you'll only let them. Why oh why won't you let them?
  4. I know nothing about what this device will actually look like, do, or cost, but I will act as if I do because I choose to believe one of many contradictory rumors above the others.
  5. I will buy this no matter what it looks like, does, or costs because it will have a shiny :apple: on the back. (aka "shut up and take my money")
  6. I hate Kobe Bryant.
  7. Thank god I got my iwatch article fix. That was a really scary hour since the last one.

Put me down for a 6.

As for the iwatch itself, the reports are so varied and contradictory that I can't even have an opinion on it anymore. What I want is something similar in size to my Garmin Forerunner 10 and both a seamless connection to iphone in terms of sync/notification but also as much stand-alone functionality as possible. I don't care about the health aspect except for GPS (which I do want stand-alone, not just through iphone). And yes, I'm well aware that I'm 99% likely to be disappointed.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
---

On topic -- if Apple can make fitness band with all the rumored features AND make it look like a nice thin fashion watch it going to shock the world. That's a very tough sonata to play. I have high hopes, but I think we are a few generations off before it can fully mature into the watch of rumor maker's dreams.

My fear is if they make it too thin, it will only work sometimes or it will break within the year. It strikes me as hard to have an always exposed sensor on an object capable of measuring something like sweat and have that sensor work for years.

All these rumors and so little substance to them about how this could actually be done. The interesting thing is, what if Apple dropped a billion on R&D on this thing over the last two years. Think about that. Do you think Fitbit has spent even a million in R&D? Could Apple be leapfrogging our idea of what is technologically feasible.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
That watch Kobe is wearing looks pretty big. And remember he's a rather large fellow, so that watch must be... OMG is it 2.5" across?!?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Of course I don't know for sure, but it stands to reason. Of course Apple would want to sell millions of the lower priced cheap models, and several of a higher tier. Apple wants their product to be a status symbol. Why would a celebrity wear a cheap watch when all of their friends are wearing expensive ones?

But if there is an expensive high class iWatch, it'll be the one everyone with money wants.

Tissot use famous sports and non sports people to promote it's watches, I bet Casio have even done so, it means nothing to have famous people endorse your product, it's just a marketing tactic.

And I bet you A: Apple do NOT aim anywhere near the high end.
And B: if they did they won't sell any.

Someone who owns a Ferrari or 3, lives in a multi million pound home, is not going to wear an Apple watch no matter what it's made out of.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
My fear is if they make it too thin, it will only work sometimes or it will break within the year. It strikes me as hard to have an always exposed sensor on an object capable of measuring something like sweat and have that sensor work for years.

All these rumors and so little substance to them about how this could actually be done. The interesting thing is, what if Apple dropped a billion on R&D on this thing over the last two years. Think about that. Do you think Fitbit has spent even a million in R&D? Could Apple be leapfrogging our idea of what is technologically feasible.

Excellent post

I love Kobe Bryant

----------

That watch Kobe is wearing looks pretty big. And remember he's a rather large fellow, so that watch must be... OMG is it 2.5" across?!?

He's most likely wearing a luxury watch.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
If these sell well
http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches.html
I don't see why a watch made by Apple and marketed ala Beats would not?

Beside 'farting' kind of Apps what kind of Apps would they release?

Would they finally release not one but two of these iWatches/bands to use them as controllers for AppleTV games and compete with Xbox kinect and other game consoles??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.