Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JosephDuffy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Great Britain
Hi,
I got my iPad yesterday, and I'm very happy with it (posting from it now). The only thing I couldn't get was a case. I'm thinking about getting the (PRODUCT) Red Leather Case, however, with the 2-3 week wait, I fear that it'll take too long. I do like the idea of a red one, but my question is, does anyone have one, and maybe the black leather case to compare?
Essentially I'm deciding between the Black and Red Leather Cases, the black I should be able to get in 2-3 days from my local KRCS.
So what's your opinion?
Thanks,
Joseph Duffy

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Although I don't do leather myself, for some reason black cases seem pretty boring to me. I know some people have reported that the leather smart cases bleed though. There seem to be a lot of options coming out so it may be worth it to look around and see what is available.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
depends on what you want - the red leather screams "look at my iPad!" and the black is more understated but classy - like a blue blazer - you never look bad in it, but most people don't remember what you wore....

up to you...

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I know some people have reported that the leather smart cases bleed though.

Huh? Bleed through what? I've had a black, leather SmartCover since I received my iPad2 and it hasn't bled through anything.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Huh? Bleed through what? I've had a black, leather SmartCover since I received my iPad2 and it hasn't bled through anything.

I have the poly, but I saw comments on here that indicated the leather dye was rubbing off on other things. Again, that is based on some of the comments, not personal experience.

ken987

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
we have 2 ipads... we bought black and red covers.

To me....I feel like I wasted 70 bucks....I have the black one..

The red....it looks unique...and money went to charity to boot.

I would go with the red.

Jemi9OD

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
Durham, NC
I wish I could find the red in stores again. I had initially went with red, but like ken987, I felt that it was too little protection for the price, so I returned it. (Kudos, Apple, for having such hassle-free returns!)

However, then I added an iCarbons black carbon fiber skin on the back, and I felt the smart cover would be a perfect compliment - but when I tried to find a Red smart cover again, those things seem to be in very short supply. I called all 3 Apple Stores within an hour of my house and none of them had stock of red covers.

I would have ordered online, but the 3-4 week wait was a turnoff. So I ended up going to the Apple Store and picking up a black smart cover. I figure this way I can give the black a try - it'll either grow on me or it won't, and if it won't, maybe red covers will be in healthier supply by the time the return period on the black cover is up.

So far I'm digging the black - I feel it goes very well with the black carbon fiber back skin, so I'm pleased.

(But, black is not my first choice.)

iWannaBeAdored

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2010
Scotland
I have the (PRODUCT) RED leather case and it looks awesome with a black iPad 2. Not much I can say about it though. It works great and it is so useful! Feels good as well.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
From Apple's site: Apple Leather Smart Cover
*The leather Smart Cover is crafted from high-quality, naturally treated material that gets its color from a rich aniline dye. Some color may rub off during use.

I have black also and can see some color rub but havent had drastic bleed yet but I definitely wouldnt carry it close to me if I'm wearing light colors.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I have the poly, but I saw comments on here that indicated the leather dye was rubbing off on other things. Again, that is based on some of the comments, not personal experience.

What you saw was a post by a sufferer of OCD and excessive worrier who read the 'warning' on the Apple site about how the leather is treated and, like almost any leather, it might rub off.

JosephDuffy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Great Britain
Ordered a Red iPad Case today, I think I'll be very happy with it, 2-3 week wait! I also got an AV Adapter, I must admit, mainly for Real Racing 2, but also other games.
For now, I've actually kept the plastic cover on it that it came in, I would hate for something to happen to it, although I think it'll come off soon ;)
Thanks for the help,
Joseph Duffy

JosephDuffy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Great Britain
I'm really happy with the red cover. I think it looks fantastic on the white iPad

That's real nice, thanks for the images, it's made me excited!
The only thing that's annoying me about my iPad is the absence of a few iPhone apps, namely Clock, Calculator and unified Movies/Songs into an iPod app. Nothing major, but I'm so happy otherwise! :D

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I had the red leather cover for my white iPad 2. I thought it looked awesome when first got it. But after a week, dirty and oil stains started to appear on the red leather. Some may call this the character that comes from aged leather, but I felt it was too soon for it to start looking old. I then became frustrated trying to clean the cover. Everything I tried, including several leather cleaner, wiped the red dye off onto the cloth I was using. It was disappointed that my relatively new cover was looking so worn so quickly.

I ended up returning it for a polyurethane cover that I can clean easily with soap and water. The other leather covers may age more gracefully, but the red one lost it's initial vibrance way to fast.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
What you saw was a post by a sufferer of OCD and excessive worrier who read the 'warning' on the Apple site about how the leather is treated and, like almost any leather, it might rub off.
So anyone noticing color bleed or worrying about a potential problem acknowledged directly from Apple has OCD now? I guess since you don't have the problem then everyone is just making this stuff up because they're the ones with mental problems. :confused:

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
So anyone noticing color bleed or worrying about a potential problem acknowledged directly from Apple has OCD now? I guess since you don't have the problem then everyone is just making this stuff up because they're the ones with mental problems. :confused:

Who noticed color bleed? Name one.

TrulyYuki

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
Washington
I'm really happy with the red cover. I think it looks fantastic on the white iPad

I purchased cream because I'm a girl who just loves white! But red is my next love. (I think being Japanese has a bit to do with it... I donno) well I want the red! Is it silky to buy another smart cover when I have one. Plus it gets dirty.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
I had the red leather cover for my white iPad 2. I thought it looked awesome when first got it. But after a week, dirty and oil stains started to appear on the red leather.
I noticed some stains on my red leather Smart Cover after just a couple of days. I applied several coats of Lemon Pledge and the stains went away. Now the cover is slightly darker and has a semi-gloss finish. I expect that the Pledge will help it repel liquids better.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
I noticed some stains on my red leather Smart Cover after just a couple of days. I applied several coats of Lemon Pledge and the stains went away. Now the cover is slightly darker and has a semi-gloss finish. I expect that the Pledge will help it repel liquids better.

Pledge on leather!?!? Are you serious?? :rolleyes:

Go buy some lexol leather wipes that is what everyone with any kind of leather product should have to maintain it at a minimum.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
Pledge on leather!?!? Are you serious?? :rolleyes:

Go buy some lexol leather wipes that is what everyone with any kind of leather product should have to maintain it at a minimum.
Actually Pledge is also marketed as a leather cleaner (read the label). It is a little-known use, but it does work. I agree that there are better leather treatments... but I live 500 km from the nearest shopping mall, so I take what I can find in the local grocery store :p.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I purchased cream because I'm a girl who just loves white! But red is my next love. (I think being Japanese has a bit to do with it... I donno) well I want the red! Is it silky to buy another smart cover when I have one. Plus it gets dirty.

Yuki, I bought a white ipad 2 and the cream smart case. I have also ordered the red smart case (which should ship April 18), so I don't think you should worry. Get however many cases you want. It's your accessory! Also, I lived in Japan for a while, and the Japanese really do like white! I had a white pearl phone while I was there but could have gotten many pinks and reds also. It was a very refreshing change from the colors we have here in the US.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010

Any chance of a cream and white iPad pic?????

jacoder

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
California
I love my Red Cover... :)

Here is mine. :D

5575520065_d13e491b45.jpg

5575520333_f4442f91a4.jpg

5575520565_9a6a14a8d0.jpg

5575520835_9eb98383c0.jpg

5575521045_436feb970e.jpg

5576107840_0722774748.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/sets/72157626396698000/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.