Apple Refurb Display 23"- Why so PRICEY?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jason2811, Jul 10, 2007.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I was looking to buy an Apple Refurb 23" Cinema Display. I went to the refurb section of the Apple store site and I saw that the refurb display was listed at $749 and the original price was supposedly $1,999. How is this even possible? The brand new display is only $899 according to the site. Pics below. Can some explain what is going on? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

On the refurb site, for the original price, Apple always uses the ORIGINAL original price, regardless of the current original price. When the 23" displays debuted, I do believe they were $2k.

3. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why is the refurb still so damn expensive? I was looking at some Dell refurbs and they had like a 30% price drop from the original price.

4. ghettochild macrumors regular

Seems that Apple doesn't state the model number on the refurb deal website, but judging by the contrast ratio, the refurb is not the current model.

5. 2hondas macrumors regular

Ha, $2k... Who was stupid enough to buy that...:rolleyes:

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm sure that, in June 2004, when they came out, plenty of people did. At that time, most of the Dells you could buy, for instance, still came standard with a 17" CRT. You could "upgrade" to a 15" LCD for a couple hundred bucks. A 23" screen (and an LCD one, at that) was *huge* back then.

7. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

And to the OP if you wanted a 23 inch ACD someone on the marketplace is selling one for $620. Its not mine but I just thought you might be interested in it.

8. Zel macrumors regular

What seems to be the problem? You could get a perfectly good screen for 150$ less than a new one, and youre upset that its not even cheaper??

9. Fahrwahr macrumors member

CompUSA has a few 24" screens at the same resolution (there was only one other 23" screen). Two in particular are manufacturers whose screens Apple uses in its own products -- LG and Samsung -- at $649.99 and $549.99, respectively. They don't come in an aluminum enclosure, but if you're going for price rather than appearance, these might be the way to go.

10. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

If you want to complain about prices, go buy the dell. $800 for a 23" ACD is a good deal.

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The LG is beautiful. I own two. Highly recommended. Way beyond the quality of the overpriced ACD with its myriad of issues.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I noticed that when the displays saw a price drop, the refurbs did not receive the same treatment. Sucks cause I would like another one.