Apple Refurbished Macbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MegaMan1311, Jan 29, 2010.

1. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

Hello.

I am looking to purchase a Macbook and, due to a limited budget and limited need, I had hoped to purchase a refurbished one. When I looking at the apple refurbished store the other day, there were many models of MacBooks ranging from $800 to $1100. Today, however, there are not any in the store. I can only assume that this is caused by Apple running out of stock.

I am now wondering how often Apple restocks its refurbished products? Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I heard Monday morning 10am PST is a good time to take a look at the refurbished Store.

3. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Apple's refurbished stock varies daily, often hourly. Best you can do is keep an eye on it, and have your credit card handy...

:apple::apple:

(3 years on an Apple refurbished MBP!)

4. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Sorry, I know it's not relevant for your location, but the UK store comes up Tuesday to Friday around 12:30 [half past midnight].

I've used the refurb store and strongly recommend it.

But do make sure you buy the current generation of the machine you want, because there are some real museum pieces that appear from time to time. Buy by spec, not by price (even though you mentioned particular budgetary resources being the chief reason of asking).

5. MegaMan1311 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep watching the Apple Store for the next couple of days to see what their best price is for what model.

Right now the aluminum Macbook of late 2008 is looking really good. Its $900 and its not much less powerful than today's model. Anybody have anything against that model of Macbook?

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The screens aren't supposed to be as purdy as the ones in the newer models.

8. Mini Me macrumors member

I'm sure it's updated seven days a week now, for example there were Mac Mini's on there this morning that weren't yesterday evening. I know the refurbs normally go offline around 11pm (in the UK), and I see the new models on there first thing the next morning. As someone mentioned there are some pretty old models on there eg, a £949 MBA Rev A SSD model that's been on there for months now, you'd think Apple would get the message and drop another hundred quid or so off just to move it on.

Anyway, enough waffling, OP I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy :)

9. Amatatomba macrumors newbie

I was also just looking at a refurbished MacBook Pro and thought I'd post here rather than make a new topic.

This might be a stupid question, but will the battery be brand new and at complete capacity if I buy refurbished?

It's about $350 cheaper for me to buy refurbished but, I think I can get a military discount if I buy through the Army exchange plus I won't be charged tax. So it might be cheaper or not much more expensive for me to buy new from the exchange.