Apple Refurbished

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sahni130, Jul 28, 2008.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

hey guys i just bought a refurb ipod shuffle from the online apple store. i bought it mainly for when i go running. I placed the order and it says prepared for shipment, how long will it take to ship? are refurbs a good choice, do they look new? sorry that i started a new thread on the same topic.

2. yomibro macrumors regular

I purchased a refurb wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, the things looked brand new and after 6 months of use haven't had any issues so far.

3. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

so they come in brown boxes and have all the things that a new ipod would? do they have scratches? new batteries?

4. jroller macrumors regular

I am a big fan of Apple's refurb program and regularly recommend that people at least look at what is being offered before buying new. Often, you can get a great computer at a nice savings. I have purchased refurbs in the past; you cannot tell any difference from a "new" product. Think of it this way: the machine you buy refurbed has already had its problem repaired, but the new machine is untested. Usually, of course, nothing is wrong with a new product, and, in addition, just because it is being sold as a refurb does NOT mean that anything was wrong with it in the first place. If a "new" product is opened and then returned for any reason, it has to be re-sold as a refurb; it can't be sold as new ever again.

5. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Very few times have I heard or seen a refurb being anything but "like new." I think you will be happy.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The refurbs are essential remanufactured into new goods, but since they are remanufactured they are refurbished.

7. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

so i made a good decision by going refurbished?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Of course. Odds are it would have had all the issues fixed from the last time someone returned it from new.

9. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

One should keep in mind that an iPod Shuffle doesn't have much to break or wear out meaning it's probably just overstock or a gift somebody didn't want.

10. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

11. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

it was totally an impulse buy, i wasn't even looking to buy an ipod but i had some money and $39 seemed a good price and i just clicked the button. this will be my first refurb product ever so i did not know what to expect? what kind of packaging will it be in?

12. Pixellated macrumors 65816

A Brown box with 'Apple refurbished' written on it.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

However the inside it will have the standard packaging with the iPod in the plastic, the headphones, the dock, etc. You just won't have the useless and environmentally-unfriendly plastic case.

14. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

ok cool. thanks for the replies. it shipped this morning and will be here by Friday so i can't wait.

15. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I would buy a low priced item refurb. like ipod shuffle maybe another ipod express to go along with my other ones...etc...not a computer. Just something about knowing it wasnt mine. If i am spending 1000..i want it new...vs. 850 used.

16. longflyball macrumors newbie

Refurb on a MacBookPro?

Yes or no on buying refurb'd? The savings on a 15" is around 300 bucks. On a 17" it's more.

What's the consensus? Any negatives?

17. jroller macrumors regular

Without hesitation... if you are happy with the specs/price, buy.