Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
You missed the whole point. They are not selling to walks INS. Even though I was sent to purchase one on the advice of an apple representative via the phone.

Why didn't I pre-order? I tried online. But Apple doesn't take NEXT pre-orders online. And I called the store to order via the phone. But the store doesn't answer phone calls. The national line does. And they don't do NEXT over the phone either.

That's the point. Why send me somewhere to get a phone while availability lasts if they will not do it anyway to anybody who walks in? Even though they have the phone in stock for both online orders and walk ins? This policy, if it is national, should be known by every apple employee. So, yes, I would have been ok if they had sold out. But they were not sold out. They had the phones in stock. They refused to sell them at that time, and wanted me back at 5AM waiting in line.

You got bad advice from a rep who probably winged the solution. They can't speak for the store like that, not without checking first. IPhone stock allocation is tightly controlled around this time, and staff are directed almost daily as to how sales will go.

Yeah I'd be pissed too.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
You missed the whole point. They are not selling to walks INS. Even though I was sent to purchase one on the advice of an apple representative via the phone.

Why didn't I pre-order? I tried online. But Apple doesn't take NEXT pre-orders online. And I called the store to order via the phone. But the store doesn't answer phone calls. The national line does. And they don't do NEXT over the phone either.

That's the point. Why send me somewhere to get a phone while availability lasts if they will not do it anyway to anybody who walks in? Even though they have the phone in stock for both online orders and walk ins? This policy, if it is national, should be known by every apple employee. So, yes, I would have been ok if they had sold out. But they were not sold out. They had the phones in stock. They refused to sell them at that time, and wanted me back at 5AM waiting in line.

----------

I guess it's an experience all around. Some good. Some bad.

I think the lesson to take from this is that if your plan isn't working (Next, walk-in, Apple store) then change it: Either: skip Next, preorder instead, or don't shop Apple. Listen to what you're hearing from the people you interact with. React accordingly.

And react fast - especially since you're chasing this year's hottest 'phone along with a million other folks.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Really? That's news to me. Maybe it's because I did the "manager" trick?

I remembering calling my local Apple store one time though and asking them a specific question about the store itself using the regular voice menus and they seemed pretty knowledgeable about their traffic.

Oh well, I stand corrected on that one then.

I mean dont quote me thinking that facts, I just know from the past and when I called asking about inventory, I was always connected to a third party that gave me the information that I needed. Whats funny is do you really see any Apple employess on the phone when you walk in the store? I mean I havent but they could be in the back or something.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX

----------

----------

I like the painted picture, but I don't feel it's going to turn out like you visualize it.

Okay. Have fun waiting for your Nexus devices to come in. Once again, I'm so sorry that Apple sold out of the device that you so desperately wanted so much that you cancelled a verified pre-order of the device for, and then will have to end up waiting the SAME AMOUNT of time for, for your pre-ordered Nexus devices.
So, to sum this up, you are STILL waiting the exact same amount of time for your new devices, if you had only kept your original pre-order from AT&T, right? And the complaint again is what?

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Okay. Have fun waiting for your Nexus devices to come in. Once again, I'm so sorry that Apple sold out of the device that you so desperately wanted so much that you cancelled a verified pre-order of the device for, and then will have to end up waiting the SAME AMOUNT of time for, for your pre-ordered Nexus devices.
So, to sum this up, you are STILL waiting the exact same amount of time for your new devices, if you had only kept your original pre-order from AT&T, right? And the complaint again is what?

Why do you refuse to hear the fact that Apple didn't sell out of anything? That's the whole point. They had the devices in store at the moment I was there. They had devices that were for pre-order, and devices for sell to walk ins. This is according to two employees. And I believe them. They simply were refusing to sell them at that time for whatever reason. Store policy? IDK. They instructed me to come back at 5AM and wait in line.

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Apple are kind of bad at communicating when one can enter a store at whim and buy one and when one can't.

To me, if it's a physical store there should be two stock levels: Reserved + Walk In, what's the point in just having Reserved? I've seen so many pee'd off people over this. Even if the walk in is low in numbers; having SOME stock for first-come-first-serve should make it align to every other store.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo

----------

----------

I like the painted picture, but I don't feel it's going to turn out like you visualize it.

You are not ANYBODY that walked in. You are a NEXT customer and that is who Apple is not selling in-store stock to. In your OP, what do you mean you paid $200 to become a NEXT customer?

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
The store allocates an X number of phones for walk-ins per day and you arrived after that allocation for that day has been depleted and you get mad because the employees won't put their jobs on the line to sell you one from tomorrow's allocation. Sounds like a real first world problem to me.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Why do you refuse to hear the fact that Apple didn't sell out of anything? That's the whole point. They had the devices in store at the moment I was there. They had devices that were for pre-order, and devices for sell to walk ins. This is according to two employees. And I believe them. They simply were refusing to sell them at that time for whatever reason. Store policy? IDK. They instructed me to come back at 5AM and wait in line.

Because that was the fair thing to do. Those phones were already allocated for a specific sale. If they gave you one, they would have to do it for everyone. Why do you think that you are so special that you should have gotten one?

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
You asked if they had stock and they said yes. Did you verify that the stock was pre-order stock or walk in stock, or did you just assume that they were both the same thing?
As for coming back the next day, pre-order stock is held for that day only. The next day, it goes back into normal stock and is then available for purchase. I went through the same thing you did, minus the pre order fiasco and whining about it. I simply went to an Apple store early on a weekend before the opened and reserved a walk in iPhone and was out in about an hour or two with the 6 Plus. This was after I had already purchased a 6 and then returned that phone to get the 6 plus.
Again, sorry Apple treated you so poorly. They can't override their company policy just for you, just because you want the iPhone now. You have to work within the system. But again they did not REFUSE to sell you a phone. They just didn't have valid inventory to sell to you.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yeah you dont get connected to the actual Apple person in the store, you get routed to the National center like the OP said and then they will look in their system for that particular store and see if they have stock.

Yes, that is correct in terms of The call center checking stores for stock but at the same time I've also been able to call my local Apple store and they pick up the phone.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
I don't understand why you would want an IPhone at all, since you admitted you haven't been a fan of IOS for a long while. If I do not like something, especially that cost hundreds of $, I do not buy it. Let alone drive 45 mins to get said product.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Yeah you dont get connected to the actual Apple person in the store, you get routed to the National center like the OP said and then they will look in their system for that particular store and see if they have stock.

All you need to do call your local store and say "manager" when the auto voice asks how can I help you. It connects directly to the store. It has worked for me every time I've had to call them.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Here are the facts:

The way apple store inventory works is as follows: if there are 4 of a product in store, it shows unavailable for in store pickup. If there are 5 or more, it shows available for in store pickup. It's not a "separate" inventory, just that any number of the item from 5 - 999999 is available for in store pickup while 1-4 will not show up online.

If the store had it available for in store pickup online, that means they had at least 5 there, meaning that once it got down to 4, it could ONLY be purchased by a walk in as it would not be available online.

(And yes, I have had this confirmed by multiple, independent Apple employees that this is the way the inventory system works).

Seems like 3 possibilities:
1. The OP is full of it.
2. The OP misunderstood what the Apple employee was saying and instead of trying to understand is rage quitting.
3. The single Apple employee the OP spoke to was misinformed and/or misunderstood the question that the OP may or may not have asked correctly or with any sense.

edit - also when you call the store, 9/10 times you are getting redirected to the 1800 number who is just checking the online stock, not someone actually in the store. my method for getting someone in the store is to just continually ignore the prompts and it eventually connects you with someone there. you can tell you're actually talking to someone in store because it will be busy in the background and they won't have to, you know, ask for your zip code.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I don't even understand what the problem is with AT&T Next? I signed up for AT&T Next and Preordered at the same time online. The iPhone 6 was at my door step a few days later. Sounds like a little patience is needed...

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008

They can't sell it to you because someone else already bought it. Just because they have them in stock doesn't mean that they are not reserved.

If you had a problem there why not walk over to the upper west side store and see what they have.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Why do you refuse to hear the fact that Apple didn't sell out of anything? That's the whole point. They had the devices in store at the moment I was there.

They did, and there is a set process for buying those devices. The whole point of that process is to ensure that the stores aren't continually mobbed by people wanting to buy phones when the stores must also serve existing customers needing service, or those who want to buy Macs or other Apple Products.

It's unfortunate that you feel slighted by the process, but it's a process which applies to everyone. You are not an exception nor are you being treated differently from anyone else. And yet lots of other people (myself included) followed those same procedures, and got a phone and are happy, and even now just finished a very orderly pre-order of the iPad Air 2 (which by the way, you can still get fairly easily, but for your sour grapes over your insistence on being a delicate flower and given special treatment).

It's unfortunate that this process is cumbersome and a turn off. That's what happens when tens of millions of people are clamoring for limited supply. And yes, the supply IS limited, and doesn't negate the other duties an Apple Store must perform for its customers.

As for AT&T Next: that IS an issue you have to take up with them. AT&T is extending you credit, and they feel it is their right to do so on their terms... which includes what methods you use to buy a phone under Next payment plans. If that's not acceptable, you need to find some other entity willing to extend you credit, or buy an unlocked "T-Mobile" iPhone outright.

They instructed me to come back at 5AM and wait in line.

Then, that's what you gotta do if you want an iPhone right now. Or, you can order online and wait. Or, you can pre order for something else and wait for that, which you've already done.

Enjoy your Nexus devices when they arrive. And when it's time to upgrade your computer, may I strongly suggest a Windows 10 or linux system?

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
So you're not going to switch back to iOS because you can't wait a few weeks? LOL, what a piece of work.

I can't understand why anyone would want an early production model. Apple fixes manufacturing bugs on an ongoing basis, so the longer you wait, the better iPhone you get. I would have waited until January except that Verizon offered me $200 for my 4S.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Here are the facts:

The way apple store inventory works is as follows: if there are 4 of a product in store, it shows unavailable for in store pickup. If there are 5 or more, it shows available for in store pickup. It's not a "separate" inventory, just that any number of the item from 5 - 999999 is available for in store pickup while 1-4 will not show up online.

If the store had it available for in store pickup online, that means they had at least 5 there, meaning that once it got down to 4, it could ONLY be purchased by a walk in as it would not be available online.

(And yes, I have had this confirmed by multiple, independent Apple employees that this is the way the inventory system works).

Seems like 3 possibilities:
1. The OP is full of it.
2. The OP misunderstood what the Apple employee was saying and instead of trying to understand is rage quitting.
3. The single Apple employee the OP spoke to was misinformed and/or misunderstood the question that the OP may or may not have asked correctly or with any sense.

edit - also when you call the store, 9/10 times you are getting redirected to the 1800 number who is just checking the online stock, not someone actually in the store. my method for getting someone in the store is to just continually ignore the prompts and it eventually connects you with someone there. you can tell you're actually talking to someone in store because it will be busy in the background and they won't have to, you know, ask for your zip code.

No. I'm not full of it. I was told by phone support to go buy it in store because they don't do NEXT online or over phone. I got to store and was told by two employees that I would have to order online for pick up in store because they were not doing walk-ins. HERE'S THE PROBLEM - Employees misdirecting people. I asked them if they had phones in stock, they said "YES, but you have to come tomorrow at 5AM." Why wasn't I told about this policy of no-walk ins over the phone? Why direct/send me to a store if NEXT customers aren't currently supported? We're clearly aren't supported online, over the phone, or currently in any store from what this thread has thus far discovered.

None of this is "full of it." It happened.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think I missed the entire point but you did miss one major point. You're not getting an iPhone unless you buy it the way you're supposed to.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
The OP probably needs to quit posting on Macrumors, and get in line for a Nexus device. Before those are sold out, too. Or whatever carrier he chooses to grace with his business with refuses to sell him one as well.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Sounds like your big issue here is AT&T, not Apple.

Sounds like you don't know how to order a phone I've ordered 2 without problem from ATT

Here is another troll thread trying to make Apple look bad and Android phone look good. Andrewigm's history of posts seem to all be negative toward Apple.

Like everyone else said, this is an AT&T problem not Apple.

You guys are completely uninformed. This IS an Apple issue, I dealt with it myself. The problem is, Apple will NOT allow you to reserve a phone for in store pickup with the NEXT plan. It has NOTHING to do with AT&T, it's Apple. The workaround is as follows:

1. Preorder the phone you want under a 2 year contract on a line that has it available but not the line you actually intend to use it on. If this is not an option, choose to add a line with a 2 year contract.
  2. Go to the Apple store when they say your phone is ready for pickup.
  3. Tell them you changed your mind and you want to buy it under next UNDER YOUR NUMBER.
  4. They will cancel the web order, create a new NEXT order and you will be on your way.
  5. For those Apple fanbois that say it is the OP's fault or AT&T's fault just stop posting since you are clueless. An Apple rep explained to me to do the above steps as a workaround.
  6. Enjoy your new iPhone.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
They did, and there is a set process for buying those devices. The whole point of that process is to ensure that the stores aren't continually mobbed by people wanting to buy phones when the stores must also serve existing customers needing service, or those who want to buy Macs or other Apple Products.

It's unfortunate that you feel slighted by the process, but it's a process which applies to everyone. You are not an exception nor are you being treated differently from anyone else. And yet lots of other people (myself included) followed those same procedures, and got a phone and are happy, and even now just finished a very orderly pre-order of the iPad Air 2 (which by the way, you can still get fairly easily, but for your sour grapes over your insistence on being a delicate flower and given special treatment).

It's unfortunate that this process is cumbersome and a turn off. That's what happens when tens of millions of people are clamoring for limited supply. And yes, the supply IS limited, and doesn't negate the other duties an Apple Store must perform for its customers.

As for AT&T Next: that IS an issue you have to take up with them. AT&T is extending you credit, and they feel it is their right to do so on their terms... which includes what methods you use to buy a phone under Next payment plans. If that's not acceptable, you need to find some other entity willing to extend you credit, or buy an unlocked "T-Mobile" iPhone outright.

Then, that's what you gotta do if you want an iPhone right now. Or, you can order online and wait. Or, you can pre order for something else and wait for that, which you've already done.

Enjoy your Nexus devices when they arrive. And when it's time to upgrade your computer, may I strongly suggest a Windows 10 or linux system?

It seems you're more knowledgeable than the actual employee who directed me to the store in the first place. I "feel slighted by" the wrong directions. Not because I am special and need special treatment. Was an apple representative not wrong to direct me to a store at a time when NEXT customers are ineligible? How was I supposed to know I would be turned away? If I had known, I wouldn't be here complaining like a "delicate flower." It has become apparent that there is an entire procedure for simply acquiring an iPhone, instead of just walking into a store with stock and money in your pocket. I find it even more ridiculous that most of the people here think apple is right in this case. Perhaps phone reps should be trained to explicitly say "there are no phones available unless you preorder. And NEXT by ATT isn't currently supported."

Thank you for the sarcasm, but I'll stick with macs. As hard as it is for you to believe. I do love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.