apple refused visa electron

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iamhobo, Nov 8, 2007.

1. iamhobo macrumors newbie

i was in new york over the weekend (from london) and tried to purchase an ipod with a visa electron, travel money card. ( a debit card version of travelers cheques) i even had my passport with me but they refused to take it. Apple are losing the plot when it comes to their customers. i've spent thousands with them in the last 12 months and they are extremely unhelpful. Just a bit of a rant as it really annoyed me. as i know now they take visa electron :-(

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Your post is a little unclear. Did they not take it as in "we won't accept your money" or did they not take it as in "we're not equipped to accept payment in that format"?

3. iamhobo thread starter macrumors newbie

at the time they made out they didnt accept visa "electron" cards plain and simple. but i have found out that they do. they were just being difficult/overly suspicious of a form of legal tender . so in answer,
    " we wont take your money"

4. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I got rid of my Electron card a long time ago because so few places would accept it. (even within the UK) Its the lowest form of debit card I'm afraid. Its practically unusable.

Get rid... get a proper Visa Debit Card that you can use anywhere.

5. iamhobo thread starter macrumors newbie

i do have uk cards, that i didnt take with me.the visa electron is a "travel money" card from the post office, you get travelers cheques exchange rates and you can top it up as you go. a bit more accessible then paper travelers cheques. it worked everywhere in new york apart from apple. major retailers, virgin, macys, bloomingdales, restaurants etc. just apple didnt accept it. though now i find out they do, they were being awkward. :)

6. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Never confuse incompetence with malice.

I and many others have lived a long time without ever seeing or hearing of a Visa Electron card, and it sounds like the other familiar poster has had similar bad experiences with it.

Sounds like you found one clerk (and their manager) who basically looked at a card they'd never seen before and didn't know how to handle it.

I will say that my first retail instinct would have been to say "I dunno... let's see what the card reader says!". I'd have swiped it, and if it had been approved, said "Thanks, enjoy your purchase!" and if it had not been approved, said "I am so sorry, apparently this card doesn't work on our merchant account".

But then again... Apple can't afford me :p

7. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Electron (as with Solo) is often the card given to people who've messed up their credit ratings and taken out an IVA/bankruptcy/other agreement, because it's impossible (or almost impossible) to go overdrawn with one. Not saying this is the case here (none of my business anway) but maybe they're associating it with that, or something. Apple are *very* fussy that way, they're the only company who have ever refused me credit (and I have a perfect record and handle it very carefully). PC World however bit my hand off (and over the course of 4 years, my arm and leg too). Though why it matters if they're getting the money straight away is anyone's guess.

However it's more likely that their equipment simply doesn't take Electron. It has to talk to the bank to make sure you have enough money left (which is why they give it to people on IVAs etc), and often either their contract with the bank doesn't include it or they don't have the communication facilities. Chances are they don't take Solo either.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have a visa electron card too. Not the post office kind, mine was issued by Abbey National.

You're right tho, few websites accept it, and I want to change it to something that makes internet shopping easier.

9. motomac macrumors member

Why not just get a free Mastercard paypal debit card. I have one, and I love it. I just transfer funds from my bank account (or when I sell something the money goes straight to my account), and Ican use it just like a regular debit or credit card until the account is dry!, Then I just refill it up again, and its good to go!

That would be an easy thing to do that would not cost you one red cent!:D

Just my $.02:apple:

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think the OP is from the Uk and PayPal doesn't offer the debit card here…