Apple refuses to exchange my iPhone, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Demon, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Demon macrumors regular

Demon

Damn Apple, makes an excellent (broken) product and taunts me with it.

Wish there was something i could do.
    I opened the iPhone on the day it came out, noticed that the keypad didn't work properly and on further exam found that the entire left strip of touch screen was not responding.

Spent hours at the Apple repair center and they reinstalled the entire operating system... told me nothing was wrong now and gave it back. Aside from a few coding glitches (like "settings" being all coded wrongly) it was running normally.

Took it home and within a few hours, the problem reappeared.
    i can't type, i can't play games, i can't even slide the unlock bar properly.

Anyway i could get this fixed? they refused to replace it... i wasted so much time and money on this piece of non sense...:mad:

2. kamiboy macrumors 6502

Call customer service and tell them what you just told us.

3. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

or better yet take it to the apple store closest to you, but make sure they have stock first

most likely they will exchange it for you on the spot if you are having a problem like this (they did for alot of people at the apple store nearest to me because they were having some unknown bug where it was not receiving calls for some reason, but they did it with no hassle)

4. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

5. 645ci macrumors member

Box up your iphone full, photocopy your recipet and put it in the box.

Write out a letter explaining which parts of the SALES OF GOODS ACT are viable here, aka iphone not performing task it should do.

Give them 7 days to respond to you. If not you welcome them to the small claims court etc.

They should just hand over a new phone there and then, or send your one straight to apple care ;)

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That won't be necessary; threatening large companies with legal action isn't usually the way to get on their good side.

Just be persistent. You'll probably have the best luck taking it to an Apple Store if you have one nearby, and just explain your situation. If need be, ask to speak to the service manager. ...And be polite. :)

7. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

I back to the apple store and tell them that you want a new one. Say they've already restored it and that was no good. Demand a new iPhone

8. ebrunn macrumors member

Apple wouldn't replace my 1st gen iPhone under warranty so I just sued them in small claims for the price of the phone and legal costs. They didnt show up so I won by default. After a couple letters they finally paid up.

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

What was wrong with yours?

I had mine replaced no questions asked, as have a few of my friends.

10. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

That's awesome. With all the arbitration that companies make either customers commit to, I'm glad to hear that the court system can still be used if needed. I learned that some companies put a clause in their agreements that force the consumer to sue them in a certain court, which of course 99.9% of the companies customers don't live near.

Since it's the second time taking it in for the same problem, they'll probably just replace it. If not, walk up the chain of command until they do. As mentioned, being polite and calm about the entire situation is probably best.

11. 645ci macrumors member

LOL

How pathetic is that, because they are a large compnay you wont sue them so you stay on their "good" side.... :D

12. sananda macrumors 68020

how did you claim your legal costs (they are not normally recoverable in the small claims court)? or is this not the english/welsh small claims court?

13. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

If you are not happy go in and tell them you WANT a new one - they can't refuse under the sales of goods act in the UK - especially within 14 days, you can even cancel your contract if you are not happy too.

14. iPaul macrumors regular

Can't you just return it in exchange for a new one?? Am I missing something here?

15. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

It sounds like software to me.

Did you try resetting the phone?

I've had this lockup happen about 6 times since 2.0 update.

16. Demon thread starter macrumors regular

Demon

Well...
    I went back to the Apple repair center today.
    got in line, took a number and waited it out... nearly 2 hours.

when i got there i just maintained calm, told them that they tried to repair the problem last time and it came right back on the same day. I also told them that i was pushed around on the phone and that i've really tried to work out the problem in every way possible.

then i showed him the horrible keypad problem and that guy took it around the back and came out with a brand new iPhone.

FINALLY!! one that works! Apple is back on my good list. Anyway, don't ever want to go through that again. next iPhone will have to wait... no more first in line, no more lines... period.

by the way, i live in Hong Kong. no Apple stores here. nothing convenient like that. you guys have it nice in the US, but i have the incredibly cheap iPhone rates. ;)

thanks for your suggestions, was pacifying more than anything.

17. Demon thread starter macrumors regular

Demon

actually, i think you're right. but resetting didn't help. reinstalling did... but only lasted a few hours before it got messed up again. oh well... don't want to have to bother with that again..

18. Demon thread starter macrumors regular

Demon

i tried that on the first day. in fact, it didn't work right out of the box. but the Apple dudes told me that if it's a problem they can fix, then they will not exchange. even if it's a problem out of the box.
    so they reinstalled and got it going, but only to have the problem come back again and again.

After some persistent nagging, i got it exchanged. but they said that it's Apple's policy to only exchange after repeated problems...