Apple Refusing to do iPhone Out of Warranty Service?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bbenj10, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Bbenj10 macrumors newbie

I've got a water damaged 32GB iPhone 3GS that I'm going to bring to Apple to try to get the $199 swap out for a replacement one. Two questions though, my damaged phone (which shows an all white screen and doesnt function at all) is jailbroken. It also has a screen that was replaced from missionrepair.com that is not OEM apparently.

Will either of those conditions make the genius bar decide that my iPhone is not only out of warranty, but also not even eligible for their OOW replacement program?

Just wondering this because I brought it in a couple months ago for dust under the screen and they wouldnt do anything because it wasnt the original screen and said the warranty was void because of that.

Any help would be greatly be appreciated before I make the trek to the Apple store.

Thanks!

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The policy: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

The potential problem:
    Could go either way depending on the store manager. Technically the inoperability could be due to the water or the mod. All you can do is try. Prior experience here is no guarantee of future success.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Normally, they would never know you're jailbroken, since the iPhone doesn't work. But since they do from an earlier trip to them, they've probably made notes on your iPhone serial. So, you've got the JB and screen modifications going against you. However, I will say that a woman brought an iPhone that was in two pieces (supposedly from being thrown), and I convinced the Genius that although it was in pieces, it could be put back together again. He replaced hers, so your Genius might replace yours. It's their call.

4. Bbenj10 thread starter macrumors newbie

They've only got the screen notes on my serial, because i restored before i brought it in, so hopefully that'll help.

I'm hoping that a third party screen only gets me out of warranty and not completely out of reparability though (I am trying to give them $200 after all). Thanks for the comments, I'll let you know what happens.

5. Buzz Bumble Guest

Now that's just not fair. I "accidently" ran over my iPhone in my Sherman tank and it's now in thousands of tiny pieces, which I think I managed to pick all of them up out of the concrete path ... I expect and demand that Apple fix it and instantly. If they don't, I'll sue 'em!! ;)

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ya aggie but was she hot??? that could be the reason!

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That was not the reason.

8. Bbenj10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's gotten this far already, hopefully that means they re just waiting on a refurbished 3GS to be ready to ship now.

Attached Files:

9. iFixYouri macrumors member

10. Bbenj10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep came FedEx overnight this morning! Only bad part is that it has factory iPhone OS 3.1.3 installed on it, so as far as I know, a jailbreak is impossible at the moment.

Anyone know of a workaround for jailbreaking an iPhone 3GS fresh from the factory with OS 3.1.3?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not possible at the moment.

12. OBAMANIZER macrumors newbie

OBAMANIZER

I think it all depends on where you go and who you talk to. If the person is in a good mood and the phone isn't like 5 pieces, they will most likely replace it for you.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You seem to be specializing in reviving dead threads.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

This thread is over 8 months old newbie. :rolleyes: