Apple refusing to fix MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeppelin68, Dec 23, 2009.

1. zeppelin68 macrumors regular

So the screen on my macbook pro (classic) with the dreaded nvidea 8600 card stopped working. Took it to the apple store, and while they say it's probably what it is they refuse to fix it because there is a slight bend under the superdrive. This bend happened months ago and has nothing to do with the card, and even with Apple's repair policy on the 8600 they won't fix it. The genius claimed I would have to pay $1200 if I sent it in. Are you kidding me?

I don't even know what to do at this point, I'm thinking of taking it to another apple store, as this is the second apple computer to give me problems. (ibook first) Any advice/past experiences? Thanks guys.

2. pacers721 macrumors member

i would suggest calling the support line (1800-myapple). They can be pretty understanding and helpful

3. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

any and all structural/case damage constitutes a void of the warranty.

do you think a car manufacturer would warranty the engine in a car that's very obviously been involved in an accident that caused potential damage to the vehicle's frame?

the point is, just because you think the damage is cosmetic, doesn't mean that it is entirely cosmetic. something that caused enough damage to a piece of aluminum, is significant enough to cause damage to the delicate connections of electrical components.

4. auero macrumors 65816

If you paid with a major credit card, most have extended warranties. This happened on my mothers macbook pro and luckily american express covered it. The repair was only like $400 though because it was sent to depot. The quoted something much higher in-store. There are certain stages/tier's/level's of repair, 1-5?(Not sure what level it goes to but the higher the more expensive) it's a flat rate to fix your problem.

5. peetah macrumors member

So based on your logic, if my car were to get a door ding from some kid who happened to have opened his door incredibly fast without regard to my car, my car's engine warranty is void? I think your logic is a little, ok, far off on this one. Think this doesn't apply to a computer? Have you looked at the bottom of yours? I bet there's at least one scratch on it. Will that void your warranty?

Depending on the location of the ding/bent frame/whatever, doesn't necessarily mean that it will cause a problem on the opposite side of the chassis. A bent tab by the superdrive has no other electronics nearby except for the superdrive -- meaning that if anything is going to be buggered up it'll be the superdrive and nothing else.

Also, what is to stop the OP from buying a replacement bottom for his MBP and then taking it into the Apple store for repairs? If someone raises a question about prior repairs or evaluations, he just has to play stupid and say that someone must have entered in some data incorrectly.

In this case, I think the op was unfortunate enough to get a lazy technician that doesn't want to do the work (or any work for that matter) and tried to find any and all excuses not to perform the work. Worse, its possible that the OP got a good technician who was told by his boss to find any excuse to not perform the work.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Call Applecare. Explain your interaction at Apple and be honest but firm.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I had a similar problem with a dent. I ended up being without my computer for 3 weeks. Eventually, it all got fixed under warranty… but they didn't fully put it back together properly. I am going to bring it in to a genius bar so they don't say this is the cause of another problem down the road.

8. pcconvert macrumors member

you are what... 12 yrs old? Do you have any idea what are you talking about?

9. prodigee macrumors 6502a

You clearly don't understand how cosmetic damage works... Based on what you just said, if there was a scratch on the laptop that would void the warranty. There is also a major difference between something that obviously some an accident that causes major damage versus an accident that is purely cosmetic. In your car example if the frame is damaged its almost a 100% certainty that the car is totaled but would you say the same of a car that was in a minor fender bender? Of course not. Not only did your example not prove your point, but it also made the rest of your post useless, because you completely contradicted yourself.

There is no way a minor bend would effect the logic board. The PCB that the components are made of, have a significant amount of bend and are pretty damn strong, there is no way that could possibly damage any of the circuits in the board. There is a known issue with these cards one that Apple readily admits. There is also a major difference between something that obviously some an accident that causes major damage versus an accident that is purely cosmetic.

To the OP I would just call AppleCare and see what they have to say, or take it to another Genius Bar, and see what they say. If there is a significant warp or bend in the casing then there is an understandable reason as to why Apple would say that but if its a more minor warp/bend in the casing I am sure that if you are firm but completely honest they will fix it. At least in my experience that has been the case.

10. danahn17 macrumors 6502

It's worth a shot. I had a problem with my PowerBook and the Apple store I went to refused to fix it for the same reason as yours. So i took it to another Apple store in the area and they fixed it without asking any questions. So you might as well try. Good luck!

11. zeppelin68 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to take it to Apple store #2 in my state in a few days when the christmas craziness dies down, hopefully I can get it fixed.

12. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

AFAIK... the 'damage' the OP is describing is common on the old MBP's...

14. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

we really need some pictures to see if this was a "door ding" or a serious event in the computer's life.

15. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

This person clearly lives on a planet that is in an opposing universe to ours because, amazingly, his post is exactly 180 degrees from being true. Just read every statement and determine what the opposite would be, and that's the truth. It's astonishing to see a post that is so completely wrong in every way. I'm beside myself in disbelief in that as much as I've searched the internet for posts that meet this parameter of being exactly the opposite of truth for many years, I've finally found it, right here on Macrumors.com. I can now stop surfing the net, I've finally seen it all. Thank you.

Reference the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 when next you speak to a representative of Apple and get the name of the tech you talked to on your first attempt to get a remedy for your damaged laptop. The Act makes it law that even if you modify your laptop and it still quits working, the manufacturer must prove that it was your modification that caused the failure. In the same way, they must demonstrate that this cosmetic imperfection is responsible for your screen not working. Seek the tech's supervisor if he fails to do this, but denies your claim anyway.

16. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Why are you running the computer all over the place? Call Apple Care and explain what the problem is, they will overnight a prepaid box. You can call to have UPS pick it up that same day and odds are if it is approved for repair, it will be delivered back to you in three or four days. Otherwise, you are spending your time running around and building a file of Genius Bar rejections.

17. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I did this to a machine Apple refused to fix due to intense external damage. A little hakko 851 and ultrasonic cleaning action and it's been back in business and rock solid.

It was the guy's fault partially, since it happened right after he dropped it. It is apple's fault partially for not using lead solder. It may very well have stopped working from the small cosmetic dings. It doesn't take much to crack lead-free solder. A moth could do it.