Apple registered 200,000 iPhone developers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonewiz, Apr 23, 2008.

1. iphonewiz macrumors regular

That is a staggering number of developers! Can Apple handle all of the applications these developers will be sending their way? I have a feeling there will be a serious log jam.

Source: Macworld

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I would venture to guess that about 10 - 15% of those developers actually produce something. Probably even a lesser percentage will develop something useful.

It's all good though. I'm interested to see what new and interesting things pop up myself.

3. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Its going to be interesting to see what happens. Hoping over hear for some sweet applications and of course Super Monkey Ball!!!

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Got bandwagon? Come on. How many iPhone fanboys are actually going to develop an app? Just because you jailbroke your iPhone doesn't make you a developer. Once the novelty wears off, you'll be lucky if a tenth of those "developers" are still actively developing.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's a staggering number of DOWNLOADs (or download attempts, depending on how the count was made), not the number of developers.

Apple set it up to get big numbers to impress the simple minded news sites. They put a link to the download on their main pages, instead of only being where actual developers would go.

The result was that a lot of people downloaded it, thinking it was an update for their phone. Or would give them magical developer powers.

Most likely a small fraction were from actual developers, and most of those have not been accepted into the beta program yet and cannot test on an actual device.

Doesn't really matter. Even having 100 to 1,000 actual producing developers would be terrific.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That means 199,999 different versions of Sudoku for iPhone and some weird type of Mah Jongg. Oh crap.

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

You kidding me? Sudoku actually takes work. I'm guessing 199,999 versions of Tic Tac Toe XD.

8. wizard macrumors 68040

That is still 20,000 apps for the iPhone/Touch platform. Not to shabby.

I've downloaded the kit myself and frankly am not sure I will have products. More due to legal issues than anything else.

In any event I expect a flood of apps. More so what I think many are missing here is that it is not just the iPhone that will be targeted. touch will be targeted also. So expect to see many apps some of them that you would not expect on a cell platform.

Dave

9. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Oh yeh, no doubt. The flood of apps and content for the iPhone in the next few months is going to be incredible, and exciting! I can't wait for it to EXPLODE!