Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Computer seems to have registered for a trademark (#930990) in Australia for the name of "iPhone":

Class: 9 Computer hardware and software

Class: 38 Communication by computer; communication between computers; rental and rental of communication apparatus and electronic post fans for personal use; electronic news services; electronic sending of data and stands on Internet or other data bank; supply of data and news by electronic sending; obtaining of access for electronic news services relating to here by shop of information and data on the Internet

Class: 42 Computer services; development and sale of media for use in computer networks, cable in bulk networks and worldwide communication networks; web site hosting; woven -site- hosting; software leasing; advisory services relating to computers, software electronics, telecommunication, security and -authentisierung-; enable of information, computer networks, cable in bulk networks and worldwide communication networks; advisory services and computer technical support services, computer networks, software and computer operated stands management and -workgroup-assembly on computer networks and worldwide communication networks; enable of software updating by computer networks and worldwide - komunikationsnetzwerke-; enable of on line magazine in area of computers and computer software

iPhone.org has been registed by Apple for years... spawning much speculation. But other domains - such as iKids.com, Mammals.org and MacMate.com have also pointed to Apple sites for years.

Owner details are limited to simply "Apple Computer, Inc" from Australia's Trademark search -- no names/addresses to verify the identity.

Dj Kioto

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
it might mean that its software, for fax phone (video) conferncing, by using that 56k modem on the back that i havn[t use in four years

in fact, I havn't used the modem on my 667G4 at all, and havn't used a modem since we had a 300G3

it would be neat to make phone calls on the comp, I know one has been able to do it for years, but with integration with addressbook iCal, etc... it may get interesting

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
mmm an Apple iPhone.. so should I hold out on the Sonyericsson? The rumor of an iPhone or communication device from apple I think is pretty underated. I can seriously see it happening. The cell phone market is fast growing.. and much like the portable MP3 market I think Apple could jump right in with a phone and reset a new standard for cell phones.. but this poses a whole new set of questions.. under what services is apple going to allow the phone? T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular? And if they do.. hope its a service thats in my area, :)

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
damn

...and I just bought a motorola T720. I love the T720, but damn I would love to have an Apple branded phone. Time will tell I guess. Any more details other than the trademark?

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
If I was in charge of Apple, I would have registered the name "iPhone" also, even if they weren't planning to release anything by that name, but to stop anyone else from using the name, because of all of the recent hype and rumours about an apple iPhone.

If some other company brought out a new phone with the name iPhone, some people could mistakenly think it was the Apple product they had been waiting for. And Apple would be pretty pissed off.

Don't kick yourself if you've just bought a new phone, I don't think there will be an iPhone soon.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by saint
If I was in charge of Apple, I would have registered the name "iPhone" also, even if they weren't planning to release anything by that name, but to stop anyone else from using the name, because of all of the recent hype and rumours about an apple iPhone.

If some other company brought out a new phone with the name iPhone, some people could mistakenly think it was the Apple product they had been waiting for. And Apple would be pretty pissed off.

Don't kick yourself if you've just bought a new phone, I don't think there will be an iPhone soon.

I agree. It's standard for big companies to use the "shotgun" method when registering names. Anything they might use, someone else might use, or someone else might use to pose as the first using is what they go for. :)

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
I'm not holding my breath, but I AM using my old azz Palm III in hopes of a near-future Apple device... Oh Crap: Here we go again. Ladies and Germs, let the fanatical speculation begin!:D

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
cellphones are the next big thing...

The reason why cellphones are the next big thing is this:

A year ago... only a small percentage of people used their cellphones as their main phone. In just one year that number has skyrocketed and now everyone I talk to says that they are getting rid of their home phone. It makes sense... you give someone your phone number, but which one... the cell or the home phone? Good riddance. USWest is a horribly corrupt company with a monopoly on the local phone service in the northwest. Everyone I know hates them too... they dug their own grave and now they have to lie in it.

The cellphone is what the PDA could never be... the new portable computer that isn't geeky. It's actually the opposite... a COOL computer. Kinda like an iPod... hehe :)

ELYXR

freedom

macrumors member
iPhone - Software or hardware?!

I think Apple might come out with IP-telephony software
named: iPhone. Or something like that.
It might be a cordless phone that connects to your
computer and uses IP. Instead of the copper cables
in your wall. Remove your phones at home and use
your computer instead, it´s a lot cheaper!
You´ll need quite a fast connection though...
With the collaboration SonyEricsson/Apple,
I really don´t think Apple will try to compete.

Any thoughts?

I know I´d go for one if the user interface was
as easy to handle as all other Apple software.

Time to use your broadband for something else!
(And save a thick wad o´cash whilst doing it...)

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
Re: cellphones are the next big thing...

Originally posted by ELYXR
The reason why cellphones are the next big thing is this:

USWest is a horribly corrupt company with a monopoly on the local phone service in the northwest. Everyone I know hates them too... they dug their own grave and now they have to lie in it.

ELYXR

Let me introduce you to the year 2000 where USWest has just been bought by Qwest.

Actually, I've been without a land line for the past three years. Part of the reason was because my USWest/Qwest bill was higher than my cell fone bill. But, now I'm switching back to a land line because I dislike cell fones and the call quality has been steadily declining across the two different systems I use regularly.

Plus, I'm hoping that Apple doesn't build/design an iPhone and instead dedicates their resources to making OS X faster.

NJANJA

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2002
This is software...

Trademarks in Australia can be registered in a 'telecommunications' class, which Apple has not done. This seems to be the trademark class reserved for things like telephones and associated hardware. Once Apple has registered in other classes, they wouldnt have a hope in hell of enforcing the trademark in respect of cellphones, since they have obviously deliberately left it out. The logical conclusion is that 'iPhone' is probably not a phone, but as many have suggested, is IP telephony software, perhaps integrated with future versions of iChat and Quicktime. I'd forget about a Apple branded cell-phone/PDA variant for the moment.

NJANJA

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Well, thatr's fair dinkum trsadfemarking. And how would it workwith gsm network-plus probab;y they'd need to get Telestra making it wlkrk with Mobilenet,Optus and Vodafine.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by aafuss1
Well, thatr's fair dinkum trsadfemarking. And how would it workwith gsm network-plus probab;y they'd need to get Telestra making it wlkrk with Mobilenet,Optus and Vodafine.

Is that how you write Australian?

engpjp

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2002
Mobile phone a nono - webphone yes...

The iPhone - which might get a very different name when introduced - isn't a mobile phone; it's a phone connectivity service. As with so many recent Apple introductions, it is mostly relevant for the US, since that is where the cross-over points between Internet and local phonelines will be introduced. The widespread practice in the States of letting local phone calls be free is to a large extent what makes the idea interesting.

The network will have three major components: Mac-to-other computers, Mac-to-fixed phones (the call is sent via a locally stationed computer), and Mac-to-SMS. The latter is more relevant in Europe, but only the countries that already have such a (non-Mac) service will be eligible.

These services will be tied in with the .mac package. Needless to say, using relevant software (faxSTF, etc), one can send faxes.

The Mac-to-Mac part will include voicemail, VoIP, and videophoning; however, all these things will probably introduced in several packages.

And Apple just MIGHT introduce a VERY elegant headset module (ear-/microphones), using the upcoming standard Bluetooth integration in new Macs - as an extra, of course. Long-term, Apple is working on renewing voice-command/dictation services in the OS (still discussing whether to invest a MAJOR pile of cash on such a risky software development project, or go out and acquire the rights from someone like, say, Philips), and that also demands such a device, of course.

But the stagnation looms large....

engpjp

freedom

macrumors member
I hope we´re right on this one!

I guess a lot of speculation about PDAs and/or cellphones
goes down the drain.

Videoconferencing, telephony etc via iPhone is what
we will see in upcoming presentations from Steve.
Maybe through his new Powerbook G5(!?) from
a cosy island in the pacific...
Steve in the sand presenting various digital devices!
That would be a blazing keynote.
What a way to show all that it works!
:)

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Cingular/SonyEricsson

I think&hope that this a cell phone, and I think that it has many of the right suggestions to be, Apple announced that they would be partnering with Sony Ericsson and Cingular at MWNY, Steve also said that 2003 was going to be the biggest year in Apple's history, including their Digital Lifestyle Devices department, we are in desperate need of a PDA that works well with the Mac (Palm is a #$%!ing joke) and if its a Phone with PDA functionality, then that's spot on with what I am looking for, I was considering picking up one of these new Sony Ericsson P800's or Kyocera 7135's, but if Apple can come out with something, I think it will be way better, also I have heard more inside rumors that suggest something EXTREMLY exciting in Apple's very near future, and I would definitely consider this to fall into that category

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Originally posted by adamcoop

It's a Queensland thing.;)

in queensland you have to cut the arse out of your pants to keep the flies off your face.

there is a company here that calls itself apple communications or apple phone cards or something like that. it has no relation to apple computer. could be a way of restricting them from using any more telephone stuff. seen an advert in a newspaper for apple ADSL. have asked apple computer au. what they are doing about it. so far no reply.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Re: damn

Originally posted by DreaminDirector
...and I just bought a motorola T720. I love the T720, but damn I would love to have an Apple branded phone. Time will tell I guess. Any more details other than the trademark?

Maybe a bit sarcastic...but.......also with a 4 month warranty and with the battery crapping out after 5 months? hehe

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by 748s

there is a company here that calls itself apple communications or apple phone cards or something like that. it has no relation to apple computer. could be a way of restricting them from using any more telephone stuff. seen an advert in a newspaper for apple ADSL. have asked apple computer au. what they are doing about it. so far no reply.

O/T, but...
Yeah, Apple did take issue with them - it was settled by Apple Communications paying Apple Computer $100,000 and Apple Comm. having to change their name (now they're 'iGreen'). There was an article in The Australian with the head of iGreen whinging about having to change his company's name :)

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Mac Jeopardy:

'Alex, I'll take iDevices for $100'

A: An Australia Trademark Search In The Fall 2001.
Q: Where was the iPods details first leaked?

:eek:

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.