Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Hey guys really random question, just purchased my new MBP the other day and when I try to register it on Apple it says "We're sorry, but this serial number is either invalid or it is for Apple software or accessories. If you are trying to register Apple hardware other than an accessory, please check your information and try again."

Anyone ever get this message? It was purchased through Amazon so not it is not Stolen or anything like that. :confused::eek:

Thank you!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Most likely a typo in entering it. Double and triple-check what you're entering. If that doesn't work, call Apple.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Hey guys really random question, just purchased my new MBP the other day and when I try to register it on Apple it says "We're sorry, but this serial number is either invalid or it is for Apple software or accessories. If you are trying to register Apple hardware other than an accessory, please check your information and try again."

Anyone ever get this message? It was purchased through Amazon so not it is not Stolen or anything like that. :confused::eek:

Thank you!

Call Apple and it helps if you have a receipt.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Are you sure you didn't type 0's (zeroes) as O's?

Apole does not use the letter O.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Thank you!
More than likely you just typed the wrong number...
Go up to the Apple in the top left corner of the display.
Click on "About This Mac"
make sure to highlight hardware.
The serial number should be in the right pane near the bottom.
Copy the number....now register it with Apple and just paste the number you just copied in the registration form.....no more typing errors...
Hope this helps....

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Are you sure you didn't type 0's (zeroes) as O's?

Apole does not use the letter O.

More than likely you just typed the wrong number...
Go up to the Apple in the top left corner of the display.
Click on "About This Mac"
make sure to highlight hardware.
The serial number should be in the right pane near the bottom.
Copy the number....now register it with Apple and just paste the number you just copied in the registration form.....no more typing errors...
Hope this helps....

Haha trust me guy's it is not a typo. I also did exactly what you said the moment I got my mac.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Same thing happened to my first MBP, which when bought new had green lines appearing on screen, when I rang support, they said the serial number wasn't valid, although the lady did eventually discover it somewhere and they then sent out a replacement. (this ones serial number does seem to work straight off).

I suspect very new computers might not have their serial numbers uploaded onto a database. Ringing someone will probably help.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Same thing happened to my first MBP, which when bought new had green lines appearing on screen, when I rang support, they said the serial number wasn't valid, although the lady did eventually discover it somewhere and they then sent out a replacement. (this ones serial number does seem to work straight off).

I suspect very new computers might not have their serial numbers uploaded onto a database. Ringing someone will probably help.

Well I called Apple support and they said since it is a BRAND NEW computer manufactured in July it was not logged into the system yet. Weird though considering I got it from Amazon who gets their supplies directly from Apple. Talked to someone in "Apple Agreements" they put my serial number in the database and it works fine now.

Really weird though how it worked out. The guy said this is VERY rare so I got worried if I should be exchanging my MBP or not. Amazon said they would do it free of charge.

Quick question also. In my support profile it says my MBP 15 inch is "15-inch Early 2011" is this true? Is it the EARLY 2011 model? Shouldn't it be Mid-2011 or there has been no update?

Thank you!

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Quick question also. In my support profile it says my MBP 15 inch is "15-inch Early 2011" is this true? Is it the EARLY 2011 model? Shouldn't it be Mid-2011 or there has been no update?

Oi. That is all.

Yes, that is correct.

:rolleyes:

aknova93

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
make sure you are using zeros (0's). same thing happened to me until it dawned on me that they might be zeros.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
make sure you are using zeros (0's). same thing happened to me until it dawned on me that they might be zeros.
Did you even read the thread? Not only has that already been suggested and the OP said that wasn't the problem, the OP already posted the resolution.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011

The woman in support I spoke to said they never use o's (oh) in the serials so any thing that looks like 0 will be a zero

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Did you even read the thread? Not only has that already been suggested and the OP said that wasn't the problem, the OP already posted the resolution.

Haha yup thanks guys. Now I am contemplating I made the right choice for 15 inch over the 17 inch -___-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.