Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Rehires Newton Developer Michael Tchao

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The New York Times reports that Apple has rehired Michael Tchao, one of the developers of the Newton, Apple's personal digital assistant platform that launched in 1993. Tchao, who returned to Apple today after a 15-year absence, serves as vice president of product marketing and reports directly to senior vice president Phil Schiller.
It is not clear what his new duties at Apple will entail; Apple would not comment further on the matter, and Mr. Tchao did not immediately respond to a phone message. But identifying a market for the much-rumored Apple tablet could certainly be among them. Mr. Tchao gets the credit (or perhaps the blame) for convincing John Sculley, Apple's former chief executive, to integrate the company's handwriting-recognition technology into a consumer device.
Tchao worked at Apple from 1986 until 1994, holding three different positions during that time and eventually advancing to Group Manager for Product Planning and Strategy in the company's Personal Interactive Electronics division. He then spent several years in consulting and product development before taking the position of General Manager of the Nike Techlab in 2002, where he has overseen the development of a number of Nike+iPod products and technologies.

Article Link: Apple Rehires Newton Developer Michael Tchao

Reactions: DeepIn2U

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Hopefully he has nothing to do with the tablet. That would mean that it hasn't been started on yet. That would also mean that all of the rumors thus far are ********.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Hopefully he has nothing to do with the tablet. That would mean that it hasn't been started on yet. That would also mean that all of the rumors thus far are ********.

he got rehired as Vice President for Product Marketing, which means that Apple could be done with the Tablet and now needs to find a way to Market the device to US.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
he got rehired as Vice President for Product Marketing, which means that Apple could be done with the Tablet and now needs to find a way to Market the device to US.

This is what I'm hoping for and what seems to make the most sense. Maybe they are getting close enough to completion to develop a way to bring this device to the public and convince enough of us we need it ...

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach

True. I wouldn't bet that Apple is having a problem with marketing a device though. This could be a corporate move, making sure someone familiar with the sector is around during decision making time.

HiVolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
A bit OT, but why are the positions always a "Vice President" of this or that...

Is there a President of Product Marketing? Why is Phil Schiller the Senior VP, when its obvious he's the head honcho of the department?

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH
I've said it before- I don't need a tablet, but if anyone could convince me otherwise, it'd be Apple... worst case scenario, I'm not convinced that I need one and still end up with a nice piece of Apple eye-candy to eventually toy around with.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
About Time!

It's about time to take back and recognize this person. I don't know anything about him but hey we all know Newton. I would say the iPhone was inspired by Newton for Apple to comeback and make a new portable device. Who's next Woz coming back on Apple with a new project?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
As far as I know, Product Marketing at Apple consists of coming up with actual ideas for new products, and is not really a marketing position as the name might suggest. Which, in turn, makes this hire particularly interesting.

irmongoose

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
well after watching some videos of him talking about nike+, he seems like a good guy. i hope he brings the same enthusiasm to apple and works on the tablet

I second that or. . . third that, well maybe like. . 10th that judging by all the positivity here lol. I love it. :D

Jul 29, 2008
"Apple Rehires Newton Developer"

Gee, there's a four-word sentence I never thought I'd see. Kinda hope he WAS hired to, you know, work out some of the finishing details. I miss my Newton. I'd buy a Newton-like tablet in a second.

valanchan

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
A bit OT, but why are the positions always a "Vice President" of this or that...

Is there a President of Product Marketing? Why is Phil Schiller the Senior VP, when its obvious he's the head honcho of the department?

Yeh, my thoughts are that Steve Jobs or the CEO is the president. More realistic since everyone in a company generally answers to the CEO.

I hope Michael Tchao is back to help build the social aspects of Apple and not just a product. Develop the community as a new platform so it spans the iPhone OS and Mac OS.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Newtons Ashes Rise

Pieces of the puzzle dropping in to place for the Tablet to rise from the Newton ashes... You know... the pieces that Amilio brought down out of Mount Apple and smashed if you believe in that sort of thing...

hazmatzak

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008

Unless the company is structured with separate autonomous divisions, "there can be only one" President. The top executives under the President are all Vice Presidents, although they can be further sorted with descriptors like Associate VP, Senior VP and Executive VP. These VPs are often in charge of something.

In effect, you're missing a comma. Phil Schiller is "Senior VP, of Worldwide Product Marketing", much like someone can be "Duke, of Edinburgh". There is no one higher than Duke "in charge" of Edinburgh; there is no King of Edinburgh. So there is no comma in actual usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.