Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
<snip>
Again this doesn't make much sense to me, these Services don't have the same margin as Apple's Hardware sales currently operate on.
It’s the other way around; services are higher margin—more than double that of hardware. For Q2FY19, Services had a gross margin of 63.8%, while Products was only 31.2%. Overall (combined) gm was 37.6%.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There are a lot of posts with reasons for Apple's poor sales. Some people claiming that the iPhone is too expensive, while others claiming that it isn't a pricing issue, but that there isn't a need to upgrade to a new iPhone when the consumer's current iPhone does everything they need to do.

I bet the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Maybe iPhone sales would increase if the prices were lower, and people that wouldn't normally upgrade due to being happy with their current iPhone, might consider it due to the lower prices.

Also...

Maybe iPhone sales would increase if Apple would introduce some new innovative features that are actually useful, and people that wouldn't normally upgrade due to the price, might do so to have these new useful features.

I think Apple was once really good at finding a balance of the two things above, but with dropping the SE and increasing the price of their flagship model iPhone, while leaving the utility of it mostly unchanged over the past 3-4 years, people are losing reasons and incentives to upgrade.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Make an OLED all-screen iPhone 4S-sized device. Problem solved. Bonus sales for headphone jacks and squarish edges (or maybe iPod Touch thinness).

I get it how Apple wants to look forward and pushed a new design language with the iPhone 6-8, and iPhone X series.

But sometimes, when the form factor is right, it's just right. The 4s and 5 were just that. All it lacked was the all-screen feature. With the iPad Pros square edges, one can only hope, there's a return to that old form factor. At the very least an option.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Wouldn't it have made economic sense to drop the price and sell more units than pay Samsung?

But maybe they cannot drop the price low enough to off-set this?

How many iPhones are sold annually?
When they were still reporting units, about 215 million annually. Probably somewhat fewer than 200 million now.

So overall, the penalty only amounts to a few dollars per iPhone sold.

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
I would be very surprised if they will drop prices of the new 2019 iPhones!
More realistically best case scenario will be same prices of 2018 models with improved features.

I hope I'm wrong, by the way, as this time I will say goodbye to my 7Plus and upgrade to the new Max no matter what the price is.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Wow, so many apple haters on these forums. No idea how they get their pleasure from continually wishing Apple the worst.

This thread is mostly ‘lower prices’ not a lot of apple hating imo. Either way, why get your panties in a bunch that some people find fault with Apple?

On another note, I looked up Truro, and dang that looks like a cool little town. I live in Atlanta and theres plenty of very nice spots, but the historic buildings in those little UK towns just blow my mind. Wish I were there and out of this oppressive july heat :)

Last edited:

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
And they would still charge u $900 for it. Would u pay $900 for 4 inch oled iphone

If it is presumed that FaceID is portion of the high cost, imagine trying to put that in a physically smaller device, there would be little to no room for the clock and battery icons. I believe this is the reason why Apple is considering under display TouchID.

Unless FaceID can shrink further or the 4” device grows a bit this is going to be a challenge.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
There are a lot of posts with reasons for Apple's poor sales. Some people claiming that the iPhone is too expensive, while others claiming that it isn't a pricing issue, but that there isn't a need to upgrade to a new iPhone when the consumer's current iPhone does everything they need to do.

I bet the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Maybe iPhone sales would increase if the prices were lower, and people that wouldn't normally upgrade due to being happy with their current iPhone, might consider it due to the lower prices.

Also...

Maybe iPhone sales would increase if Apple would introduce some new innovative features that are actually useful, and people that wouldn't normally upgrade due to the price, might do so to have these new useful features.

I think Apple was once really good at finding a balance of the two things above, but with dropping the SE and increasing the price of their flagship model iPhone, while leaving the utility of it mostly unchanged over the past 3-4 years, people are losing reasons and incentives to upgrade.
The reason for the drop in sales is mostly due to the lengthening purchase cycle. Starting with the 6s, iPhones are now fast enough (and good enough); there’s no real need to upgrade, for many customers. The two year cycle is long dead, and is trending towards three to four years.

Those who attribute lower unit sales to higher prices misunderstand the cause and effect; it’s the less frequent upgrading that led to decreased unit sales. This caused Apple to introduce the premium flagship tier. Given that people are holding on to their phones longer, the only way for Apple to maintain profitability was to make a better/higher featured (i.e. more expensive) phone.

re: the SE, between the low price and the compressed profit margin, it never contributed much to profits. Some people want an SE-sized phone, even if it were more expensive, but not enough. The rumored 2020 5.4” iPhone 11S will be about the same size as the 4.7” iPhones 6/7/8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Breaking Good

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
This is actually more shocking. Wondering how Apple’s quarter compares, looking at the issues the companies could have in common.

Tariffs are hurting many sectors, I held off making purchases until it is lifted. Companies are gonna be hurting till there is some relief.

Reactions: mschmalenbach

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The reason for the drop in sales is mostly due to the lengthening purchase cycle. Starting with the 6s, iPhones are now “fast enough”, and there’s no real need to upgrade, for many customers. The two year cycle is long dead, and is trending towards three to four years.

Those who attribute lower unit sales to higher prices misunderstand the cause and effect; it’s the less frequent upgrading that caused Apple to introduce the premium flagship tier. Given that people are holding on to their phones longer, the only way for Apple to maintain profitability was to make a better/higher featured (more expensive) phone.

re: the SE, between the low price and the compressed profit margin, it never contributed much to profits. Some people want an SE sized phone, even if it were more expensive, but not enough. The rumored 2020 5.4” iPhone 11S will be about the same size as the 4.7” iPhones 6/7/8.

Depending on usage, one would only have to change the battery after 2-3 years and the cost depending on device and where it is done seems like a bargain compared to purchasing a new device unless there is some compelling tech or feature to warrant an upgrade.
[doublepost=1562333532][/doublepost]
so does samy reimburse samy when samy misses their sales target?

Who is Samsung going to reimburse, their make the OLED displayed used in their own products and sells to others. Same company different divisions, no contract required.

I am not sure if you are confusing what the article is reporting.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
iPhone XIR should be $699, iPhone XI should be $899, and iPhone XI Max should be $999. That’s still a lot, but if you’re missing targets you have to lower prices.
Not in this situation, IMO. There are a lot of older iPhones out there that will need to be upgraded this year. Those that must upgrade this year can't wait and will have to buy whatever is available. Apple knows it has a captive audience and they simply have to wait it out... this is the year they'll see the sales figures start to rise again.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Those who attribute lower unit sales to higher prices misunderstand the cause and effect
Some people might say that this is the effect:
The reason for the drop in sales is mostly due to the lengthening purchase cycle.
I think that drop in sales can be equated to lengthening purchase cycles, but not the effect of it. It is the results of the things that are mention many times in this post.

This is one:
Starting with the 6s, iPhones are now “fast enough”, and there’s no real need to upgrade, for many customers. The two year cycle is long dead, and is trending towards three to four years.
I agree!
This is in part in what my post was pointing out. But, I don't think this is the only reason, but a bunch of reasons, and this is one of them.
[doublepost=1562335386][/doublepost]
iPhones are now “fast enough”, and there’s no real need to upgrade,

I would also add to your statement that it isn't just the iPhones are fast enough, but that there has not been any new features that provide useful utility to the new iPhones.

Getting a faster iPhone was not the only reason for one to upgrade in the past.

abcdefg12345

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Make an OLED all-screen iPhone 4S-sized device. Problem solved. Bonus sales for headphone jacks and squarish edges (or maybe iPod Touch thinness).

This is a horrible idea, as an app developer I would never support such a move and most app developers will agree with me, it is a complete pain in the ass to try and support such a small screen size these days. id like to see the 4s and 5s screen sizes being completely dropped by Apple.

Reactions: jonblatho

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Drop the prices, Apple.

Must hurt a lot of people on here. Like those who declare that they will never ever, ever buy anything Samsung. For a $683,000,000 payment, that means you could say that for each unit sold, as well as paying for their phone (with of course Samsung components), they were also giving a gift of ~$10 cash to Samsung.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
That's close to the amount Samsung was ordered to pay Apple for the rounded-corner patent. As they say, what goes around comes around.

The court case was a minor skirmish. All it succeeded in doing is showing the world Samsung steals IP.

Apple obliterated Samsung in the smartphone war. I think Apple is pretty happy about their position in the market, being #1 and all, and doesn’t worry about the occasional mosquito buzzing around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.