Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple relaunched the HomePod one year ago today, debuting a second-generation model almost five years after the original model's introduction.

HomePod-2-White-and-Midnight-Feature-Blue-Orange.jpg

The HomePod was announced at WWDC in 2017 and launched in 2018 after a heavily delayed launch. The device was met with mixed reviews; critics praised its outstanding sound quality but pointed out its high price, missing features, and limited functionality compared to rivals.

Apple dropped its price from $349 to $299 in April 2019 and, in March 2021, the company announced that it was discontinuing the first-generation HomePod, instead shifting its focus to the HomePod mini, which launched the previous year. The decision left a gap in Apple's product lineup for a full-sized smart speaker until the company introduced the second-generation model via a press release on January 18, 2023.

The second-generation HomePod looks virtually identical to the original, although it is 0.2 inches shorter and has a larger edge-to-edge LED touchscreen on top. It also boasts a range of upgrades and changes compared to its 2018 predecessor:

HomePod (second-generation, 2023)HomePod (first-generation, 2018)
Refined design with acoustically transparent mesh fabricDesign with acoustically transparent mesh fabric
Larger backlit touch surface that illuminates from edge to edgeBacklit touch surface
S7 chip from 2021's Apple Watch Series 7A8 chip from 2013's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
U1 ultra wideband chip
Five horn-loaded tweetersSeven horn-loaded tweeters
Four far-field beamforming microphonesSix far-field beamforming microphones
6.6 inches tall6.8 inches tall
Weighs 5.16 poundsWeighs 5.5 pounds
Removable power cableFixed power cable
Wi-Fi 4 connectivity (802.11n)Wi-Fi 5 connectivity (802.11ac)
Thread support
Temperature and humidity sensor
Sound Recognition
Available in White and MidnightAvailable in White and Space Gray

While Apple's potential plans for a third-generation HomePod are unclear a year after the current model was introduced, there are a multitude of rumors surrounding a HomePod with an LCD touchscreen display arriving as soon as 2024.

Article Link: Apple Reintroduced the HomePod a Year Ago Today

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SurferPup

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
Replaced a few failing 1st-gen HomePods with the new models. You can hear the price cut in the sound quality. The old ones had a rich, warm sound while the new ones have a more sterile sound.

Another minor nit is going from glossy to matte plastic for the display/control top. Looks and feels cheap compared to the originals.

Not enough negatives to consider alternatives plus, y'know, Apple ecosystem lock-in and all that.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Anybody who's had the v1 and v2 full sized HomePods -- can you weigh in on the sound quality?

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Anybody who's had the v1 and v2 full sized HomePods -- can you weigh in on the sound quality?
I don't notice a difference, but I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near and audiophile. I just like them for easy connection to other ecosystem stuff in the house. I replaced failing V1 with homepod minis and the moment these V2 came out, I jumped on them. Found them in open box at best buy within the first 2 weeks for just over $200 each.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Once again another year passed where I really thought I’d buy one but then I don’t. It’s something I want, but I just never pull the trigger.
I have a stereo pair with my Apple TV and love them.

The ARC feature appearing on the Apple TV was what really made it brilliant, I can run my PS5 and Xbox audio out through the HomePods too which is great. Audio on par with a good quality soundbar.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Still loving my 1st gen. The fact that they brought it back gives me hope for AirPort coming back, or, wait for it, an iPhone mini.
Doubt we'll see any AirPort devices returning.

If you want an Apple-like networking experience, I'd personally recommend UniFi / Ubiquiti kit. Great hardware quality and design, and great software (browser and iOS apps).

Reactions: montuori

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I don't notice a difference, but I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near and audiophile. I just like them for easy connection to other ecosystem stuff in the house. I replaced failing V1 with homepod minis and the moment these V2 came out, I jumped on them. Found them in open box at best buy within the first 2 weeks for just over $200 each.
Great deal. They also are usually available at $250 on Apple's Refurbished section.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
man, weird to think I’ve owned two of these for 4-5 years now. (got my second 1st-gen when the price dropped.) still think it was worth the money to this day, Siri is dumb but Siri was never meant to be the selling point—they’d just been developing a really good speaker since 2011, then Alexa (more-than-)kinda did a sneak attack on ‘em.

they’re also surprisingly durable for now premium they look. I happened to purchase these at a time when I was going to a lot more small house parties with friends (ie before 2020…), and people always appreciated me bringing these through. anyone could play any song they wanted to/add it to the queue—it’s almost like, modern minimalist jukebox vibes (though we all know nothing compares to a classic jukebox). glad they brought the full-size back eventually, I have the mini as well and it’s fantastic but it simply cannot mimic the same soundstage as the full-size.

(is it obvious that I’ve had an incredibly boring morning? 😆)

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

I literally run stereo pairs of each in the same oversized room (think cabin where kitchen, dining room, living room run together) and I don't hear enough difference to care which ones I am using at the moment. If I try, I can convince myself that the v1 are a tad more full in sound, maybe warmer, but its hard for me to separate buy bias, v1 cost more.

For the most part I can't tell the difference, and it certainly doesn't guide my choice on which to use.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Doubt we'll see any AirPort devices returning.

If you want an Apple-like networking experience, I'd personally recommend UniFi / Ubiquiti kit. Great hardware quality and design, and great software (browser and iOS apps).
Hehe, I’m still using my 1st gen TimeCapsule and it’s still serving my modest needs. It got an update a few years ago, so I imagine that Apple will let us holdouts know if or when it’s no longer safe to use their old tech.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.