Apple Relaunches .Mac for Tiger

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated their .Mac site to reflect new features offered by integration with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

Extend your Mac experience to the Internet -- and unlock powerful features in new Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger." An annual membership to .Mac gives you innovative software and services, plus exclusive discounts, free downloads, and online Apple training.
Tiger offers tighter integration/syncronization with .Mac.

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
Credit where credit is due!

Come on! Give credit to the man.
Reported very recently in the Toger Shipping thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1419036#post1419036

I am very suprised I was the first to see this, as I RARELY use my .mac account. I use the .mac email address, but use entourage as my email client, so I don't log in to the .mac site. It just happens to be THE ONLY web-based email that my company's proxy does not pickup, so I logged on at work to see if my tiger seminar email was there.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I've been thinking about this, and this might just push me over. The .Mac webpage looks easy to create. Could be fun. now if only they dropped the price.

Winston Smith

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2003
Oceania
A quick look at this gives me far more info on the homepage, relevant to my account.
And yes another reason to get Tiger - only 12 hours to go!

thecombatwombat

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2004
.mac jabber?

Does anyone know if .mac will be jabber compatible?

I'd been assuming it would be, but I got my copy of tiger going today, and jabber doesn't seem connected to .mac at all. It uses its own buddy list and the .mac configuration doesn't mention it at all.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
The Downloads section under Mac OS X also received a major overhaul, and now has the place where you can download Widgets and such.

I thought the QuickTime page would be updated too, but not yet.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I was skeptical about .Mac when I first signed up for it but have found it to be as valuable to me as the internet is itself. Its integration with iLife is incredible. I put together a photo album send it to .Mac and email all my old friends and say if you want to see what we've been up to check out this site. If I'm doing some work for someone and they need to proof it I upload it to .Mac in (soon to be h.264) form and say check it out. If my mom needs some pictures or something I have send them to .Mac and have her access my .Mac folder and download them. Also there are things like common database sharing and publishing iCal calendars so my family can coordinate our schedules. I couldn't live without .Mac. I know it sounds like a commercial but I really do love the service. Sounds like it will become even more useful in Tiger. I'm all for it.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
.Mac seems like a complete waste to me. Both before and after one of my friends got it so I could play around on hers. Not even close to worth the money. It annoys me that they are going to have .Mac exclusive widgets, but whatever, they're a company that is out to make money, they don't owe me anything that they didn't promise, and they never promised I'd have access to all widgets without .Mac.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Dr. Dastardly said:
Great, now lower the damn price or up the storage to at least a gig.
yep, either one of these happen and i would probably sign up, come on apple!

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Using my .mac aliases from within Mail will be much better than having to go in through webmail. :)

And sharing address books with my wife's account will be great. I currently have to export & import all contacts to keep us synced. :rolleyes:

.mac continues to get better and in my opinion is worth the money. I'd like to see storage increase though, and I'm sure it will soon.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
dobbin said:
It went up recently from 100Mb to 250 Mb.

Another jump to ~1Gb would be nice though.
That was last year and still a bit pitiful when you see Google bumping up Gmail to 2GB. I realise that .Mac's storage is for webspace as well and not just e-mail, but 250MB is still weak I'm afraid.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
broken_keyboard said:
I love how they make use of my widescreen monitor by squishing the 3 columns together vertically. Good thinking! Not.
A webpage designed for your widescreen monitor would look horrible.

I like the new design. It saves a lot of clicking around by giving current network status and mail count (as Winston Smith alluded to).

leenoble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Tiger DNS?

I can't find any mention of the dynamic DNS system that was supposed to part of .Mac and Tiger.

I'm certain I read that it was going to be possible to access any user account on any mac anywhere in the world by using a url of a format like:
mydotmacusername.mac.com/~myusername
or something similar.

Can anyone confirm whether this was dropped from the final release?

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dr. Dastardly said:
Great, now lower the damn price or up the storage to at least a gig.

Honestly? Has Google really changed the world that much that everybody now has a gig of [junk] mail lying around? I think it's all marketing BS and the complainers are sucked in.

.Mac has tremendous *value*, with or without the rediculous amounts of storage space.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
coolfactor said:
Honestly? Has Google really changed the world that much that everybody now has a gig of [junk] mail lying around? I think it's all marketing BS and the complainers are sucked in.

.Mac has tremendous *value*, with or without the rediculous amounts of storage space.
No but people do have GB's of music and photos lying around. I use my GMail account for storage, not just e-mails. Some people have even taken it a step further and have figured out a way to mount GMail onto their desktop (I think it's Linux only at the mo), effectively giving them a 2GB iDisk for free.