Apple Releases 12.4 Software for HomePod With Support for Taiwan and Japan Launch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside the release of iOS 12.4 with its new data migration tools for iOS devices, Apple today released a new 12.4 software update designed for the HomePod.

The new HomePod software will be installed automatically on the HomePod after you update to iOS 12.4, but you can also manually update and check your software version by following the instructions in our HomePod software how to.

[​IMG]

According to the release notes for the update, the 12.4 software brings support for HomePod to Japan and Taiwan, where the speaker will soon be available for purchase.

There were no other mentions of bug fixes or feature changes in the release notes for the update.

Article Link: Apple Releases 12.4 Software for HomePod With Support for Taiwan and Japan Launch

2. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

That’s not much for people outside Japan and Taiwan.

3. MauiPa macrumors 6502

Kind lite on the info. Obviously, they would not have released it to everyone without some reason.

4. markaceto macrumors regular

markaceto

5. T-Bob macrumors 6502a

T-Bob

6. Hodar1 macrumors member

Hodar1

In the middle of the Rocky Mountains, for now.
    I have the Homepod, and have it connected to my AppleTV. The reason why, is that the HomePod has superior sound quality, compared against my old Panasonic HDTV.

For reasons I cannot begin to understand, the connection between the AppleTV and the HomePod is erratic. Once connected, it works for a day or so. I can shut the TV down and go to bed; and the next day it's still connected when i get home from work, and watch TV.

But, after a few days - the system needs to be set back up again. One would think this would be fixed, like prior to release.

7. upandown macrumors 6502a

Personally I feel that Siri’s listening and understanding capabilities have degraded over time. It’s really quite frustrating at times.

8. BarrettF77 macrumors 6502

BarrettF77

Siri is an idiot. But the sound quality has improved.

9. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I would think a bug crashes the HomePod or the Apple TV cut out.

10. walstib macrumors newbie

walstib

I have 7 HomePods (three stereo pairs, and a single in the guest room) and my biggest complaint is they continually require re-entering of my Apple password.

I’m not sure whether it’s a time thing, or what triggers it, but sure enough the HomePod icon in the Home app prompts me to enter my password. (I have different logins for iCloud and iTunes Store, and it wants passwords for both accounts.)

It’s a real pain. Anybody else experiencing this?

Hopefully it’s not a “security feature” and rather a bug that might actually be fixed sooner than later.

11. littyboy macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I feel like the only thing good about the homepod is the sound. The software/connectivity is garbage. Well I guess that's what we get for being first adopters.

12. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

HomePod is by faaaaar my favorite Apple product of all time.

13. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

No. I have two stereo pairs.

14. briananon macrumors newbie

briananon

Agreed. We actually turned off Siri on our HomePod because she starting responding to things that sounded nothing like, “Hey, Siri.” Hopefully this update fixes it.

15. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I have 2 home pods (soon to be 3, all in different rooms). I have never had to re-enter my Apple password so I think it may be unique to your setup

16. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502a

strange..I updated my iPad to 12.4 but on the homepod it says its already on the latest firmware(12.3)

17. iAssimilated macrumors member

iAssimilated

I currently have two Homepods (one for a year and the second for approx. three months) and neither have had me re-enter my password.

18. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

What AppleTV do you own?

I have an AppleTV4 64GB that I'm hoping to pair with my first upcoming HomePod and curious if I'll be having remorseful thoughts after a purchase?

Curious if you've reset your entire "Apple Home" automatons or fully rebuilt your Apple Home setup?

That's good to know.

19. chipchen macrumors 6502a

I guess good thing Tencent isn't an investor in Apple...

20. T-Bob macrumors 6502a

T-Bob

3 here and also no password issues, but this may very well be fixed in 13 with multiple profile support (or it could get worse!).

21. Morgenland, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

Morgenland Suspended

Morgenland

I use four HomePods for fantastic room-like sound when watching AppleTV movies. The 2 stereo units recognize each other and work actively together. This works well until I use Siri (which I'm usually never interested in because I just watch movies or play my playlists from the iPhone/iPad). After doing so I have to reconnect the 2 stereo units to AppleTV. That's my only complaint so far. Maybe it`s that Siri issue on your side too...
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2019 ---
    Two stereo pairs in one room here on long term, one single itunes account and different icloud account, never had password issues...

22. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

I assume what he's talking about "lose connection" Is just a simple fix, you hold the "play/pause" button down and you'll get a menu selection to select the HomePods over the TV audio. It's easy.

If you use the HomePod for music/commands I'm guessing it disconnects from the AppleTV audio, which makes sense.

23. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

Yes they would. It's easier for support if everybody is on the same version.

Additionally, there may be any number of non-user-visible changes (e.g. security patches).

24. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

I would love to be able to play more than a few songs off my iPhone before the HomePod disconnects. When it works, the sound is pretty good. However, I don't use it very much. Having to reconnect every songs becomes annoying.

25. Solver macrumors 6502a

It’s too bad that Apple does not have a public beta program for unreleased HomePod software so testers could write feedback reports with self generated error and warning reports.