Apple Releases AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.8.1

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a new AirPort Base Station Firmware Update for the Airport Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule.

According to Apple, the new 7.8.1 update "improves the security of your base station" and is recommend for all Apple 802.11n Wi-Fi Base Stations. This update is for 802.11n Base Stations and not the 802.11ac models, which are already running 7.9.1 firmware.

[​IMG]

There are no details on what security fixes are included, but owners of these devices should download and install the update using the AirPort Utility app for iOS devices.

Apple discontinued its entire AirPort wireless router lineup in April 2018 and no longer offers these devices for sale.

Apple promised to continue offering service and parts for AirPort Base stations for the next five years, which includes firmware updates to address security issues.

Article Link: Apple Releases AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.8.1

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I have an Airport Extreme that reports it’s on 7.9.1

3. Keymaster macrumors member

They are really nice pieces of equipment, and pretty simple to work with. It's too bad Apple decided to drop them, some of the features like Back to your Mac were just stellar (and that's being dropped too, sigh). At least they will keep up with the security updates, maybe one day they will find a reason to make them again.

4. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

5. xinam macrumors member

xinam

Update available and installed on my two 5th Gen extremes.

6. Danindub macrumors regular

It's for the old (flat) 801.11n time capsule/airport extreme.

7. FreeStyLeMaSTeR macrumors member

Nice to know that iOS13 will support SMB which means will be able to access file system in Airport devices via “Files” app

8. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Thanks! I've swapped the image for a different one, sorry for the confusion. Also clarified further in the article that the update is for the 802.11n models and not the 802.11ac models.

9. coolfactor macrumors 601

I agree, it's a real shame, but routers is one area where the competition has really taken a page out of Apple's book and advanced the tech and design. Back in the day when AirPort routers were the premium choice, other routers looked like complex, confusing devices that the average user was afraid to touch. These days, they look nice, and they work well. I was surprised by a third-party router that worked perfectly on my Mac during setup back in 2013? It opened up a window and I was able to configure it, all without going to a web address or installing any apps. Blew my mind.

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I still think Apple could come out with new ones; they could come up with their own mesh router system. It’s not like no one would buy it.

11. kohlson, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019

kohlson macrumors 68000

Huh - nothing for me yet. TC is running 7.6.9, and the others 7.9.

[edit] Now updates are showing up for all of them - thanks guys!

Also, does it have to be from the IOS AirPort Utility , or can the Mac OS APU be used?

12. bsbeamer macrumors 68020

Just downloaded and updated firmware via AirPort Utility for macOS (on Mojave 10.10.14.5 18F132) for 5th Generation AirPort Extreme. No issues with this method. Not sure why the article cites iOS app only...

13. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i really wish they stuck with their routers. the could make a smart home compatible one now))
    seriously though, apple routers are the best i've used.

14. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

Maybe Apple's solution should be to make a mesh system, but include it with HomePod - so you buy the mesh and get HomePod, or conversely, you buy HomePod and get mesh.

Either way it wouldn't be a lot of extra electronics or design to go in there.

15. Westside guy, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019

Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Wow! I have to admit I was surprised to see this update for my rather old "Mac Mini"-style 802.11n Airport Extreme... AND an old single-band Airport Express we keep around for streaming music while we do dishes!

Must be a pretty serious vulnerability - that hardware is all a decade old.

16. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i love the idea of that! it would make me invest in a homepod! :)

17. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

It's also for the older "wall wart" style single band Airport Express. The one we have is the last generation of that style (802.11n, which Apple sold until mid-2012), so I'm not sure whether this also applies to the earlier 802.11g models (Apple's docs only mention 802.11n, though).

18. jcswim312 macrumors member

jcswim312

I’m holding on to my Airport Extreme (latest gen) until eero comes out with their new HomeKit enabled router - Apple made this announcement at WWDC.

I also read somewhere that there is a new version that will come out called Wi-Fi 6 so I’m holding out for that as well...

19. petalino macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2019 ---
    I do have an older Airport Extreme connected and sending Wifi to my Imac.

Any hint how to check the Firmware and update it??

20. vipergts2207 macrumors 68020

vipergts2207

I've got an n Time Capsule router in my basement wired to my ac Time Capsule upstairs. Good to see that even after Apple discontinued their routers, they still keep their old, old, old models updated.

21. chrfr macrumors 604

Use the Airport Utility.

22. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Getting an error (-6,721) when trying to update from my iMac via AirPort Utility.

Have tried a few times, and the same error message – "An error occurred while updating the firmware." appears…

EDIT: Turns out the update had applied – despite the error message & the 'update' button remaining – and a restart of the AirPort Express got it to report the current, updated firmware version.

23. markaceto, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019

markaceto macrumors regular

markaceto

With the advancements they've made with iCloud (from photos to files to shared folders), it's shocking and frustrating that they don't want to own and protect such a critical part of the sync process / user experience. Holding onto my 2013 APE for dear life.

24. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm that this update doesn't break Airplay 2 functionality on the AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd generation) A1392? Picking up old units has been a pretty inexpensive way to get whole house audio and I don't want to lose it!

25. mannyvel macrumors regular

I just threw it onto one of my little guys and AirPlay 2 is working fine. I forgot totally about AirPlay2 and was surprised when my iPad was streaming to two destinations at once...just likes iTunes does.