Apple Releases AirPort, Digital Camera RAW, and MobileMe Control Panel Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday released a number of software updates targeting users of its AirPort and Time Capsule wireless network products, RAW-capable cameras, and MobileMe for Windows.

The AirPort and Time Capsule updates begin with AirPort Base Station and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.5.2 for the devices themselves, offering a number of bug fixes and other changes.Some of the fixes include the following:

- General fixes to Wi-Fi base station stability
- Fixes some issues with AirPlay streaming
- General fixes with USB interoperability including connection to external storage devices
- Fixes some issues with NAT port mapping settings
- Disables TKIP security with 802.11n rates per the Wi-Fi Alliance specificationsSeveral security issues are also addressed in the update.

Alongside the firmware update, Apple also released Airport Utility 5.5.2 for Mac and Windows, bringing several fixes to the software used to administer AirPort base stations.This update contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following:

- Resolves an issue that caused the DHCP settings tab to display incorrectly
- Resolves an issue that caused the application to quit unexpectedly when automatically launched
- Resolves an issue that prevented the network password from being stored in the Keychain when the network on the 5GHz band was named differentlyOn the digital photography front, Apple released Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.5, adding RAW image support for a number of cameras.This update adds RAW image compatibility for the following cameras to Aperture 3 and iPhoto '11:

- Canon PowerShot G12
- Leica D-Lux 5
- Leica V-Lux 2
- Nikon D7000
- Nikon COOLPIX P7000
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2Finally, Apple updated MobileMe Control Panel for Windows to version 1.6.5, bringing fixes for several issues and improving reliability for the new MobileMe Calendar in Outlook.

Article Link: Apple Releases AirPort, Digital Camera RAW, and MobileMe Control Panel Updates

dvswede

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
Cool, I run three base stations in my house and one for music in my bedroom. My oldest station which is also the one connecting to the outside world is not stable as it will stop serving new addresses every other month or so. Here's hoping the DHCP service gets more stable as I don't want to run to the basement when it stops responding (the airport program restart request gets ignored....

Still the best routers I have used

napzero

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2009
Chicago
thats funny

Funny- I didn't notice any problems with my AEBS(dual-band) until yesterday, when it suddenly stopped accepting new WIFI connections. Maybe it was looking for attention?? :p I hadn't restarted it in like half a year :D

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Finally an update for my old "fast ethernet" AEBS that is still using 7.4.1 (I couldn't upgrade it to 7.4.2 because of a well-known disk-sharing bug). So, I was stuck with choosing between disk sharing for Time Machine, and Wake-on-Wireless. Now I can have both!

Arch Stanton

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
Camera RAW 3.5 only for iPhoto '11 or Aperture 3?

I guess all of us who think the new iPhoto is crap are being held back by Apple from using our RAW images from the latest digicams. I thought RAW compatibility was system-wide and not a part of specific apps.
It makes no sense that they would not let you import RAW pics into iPhoto '09.
Or Aperture 2.x for that matter. What gives?
It's just irritating, I've been waiting to be able to put my G12 pics into iPhoto.
I hate the new iPhoto and have no intention of upgrading until places actually works and full-screen comes back.
Aperture is cool but, $200?
Oh well, can anyone confirm that the Camera RAW is part of the OS and not just a add-on to the photo apps? If it is the OS then what the heck?

Bishop604

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2006
Vancouver Canada
Speed tests

Hello everyone, I spent some time last night testing my network setup at home before I updated to the new firmware..

Here is my results

Test setup

Apple 500GB Time Capsule
Apple Airport Extreme gigabit none dual band.

Copy to and from TC a 200gb file.

Under both the new and old firmware transfer speed was 5.2MB/s tops!

I have not noticed any other changes but I have 3 airport extremes at work that are repeating each other under the old firmware if I was watching any streaming files or running downloads or torrents online my throughput would steadily drop until I had to reset all routers, so I am hoping that the new firmware will fix this, I will check back in a week and let you know..:)

My setup at work is

APE Dual II ==> APE Dual II ==> APE Dual I
Covering 20,000sf with 40 wifi devices..:eek:

-cheers!

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
Airport Express bug ..

Just updated my 2 airport express with n, my dual band II time capsule and airport extreme dbII to 7.5.2

Both the airport expresses will not accept a static IP Addresses, it keeps reverting to auto conig 169 addresses. They were fine before the latest update.

The dns, gateway info stays correct but the ip address keeps going to auto confit 169

The time capsulenand airport extreme are fine.

I have tried resetting to factory config and starting from scratch and the same bug is there.

It is not an ip conflict as I can not ping the correct ip addresses.

Grrrrr!

I wonder if I can go back to he old firmware as I can not stream music anymore boo!

I have raised a bug report with apple as it I can reproduce the bug on two different units.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'm hoping this stops my (and shared by others) issue where my iMac (attached to a time capsule) would refuse to use Airplay "The network connection to the remote speaker "" failed." Been happening for years! I'm hoping that the spotlight on airtunes has nudged them into a fix.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
Both the airport expresses will not accept a static IP Addresses, it keeps reverting to auto conig 169 addresses. They were fine before the latest update.
I have exactly the same problem, here a Time Capsule and 2 airport expresses, neither express will configure. Before the update was working fine.

Grrr

The only option for me was to uninstall the airport utility, install an older version then downgrade the firmware to a previous version.

Last edited:

randygentry

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
Now an error when using iTunes to express

Now I get an unknown error (-5000) when trying to stream music to the express after the firmware update. Upon restart of the computer it works. If the computer sleeps and I wake it up I get the error again. Carp!

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
...The only option for me was to uninstall the airport utility, install an older version then downgrade the firmware to a previous version.
You should be able to revert to the previous firmware without uninstalling the AirPort Utility. Apple says in their tech note that previous versions of the firmware are archived by the utility and you should be able to re-install the old version manually. Here is the link to Apple's Tech Note:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1218

Below is an extract from that Tech Note:

Does AirPort Utility keep an archive of all my Wi-Fi base station firmware updates?

AirPort Utility keeps an archive of all Wi-Fi Base Station firmware updates you install, and stores them in the location below.

Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware
Windows: ~/AppData/Local/Apple/AirPort/Firmware

If I have a computer or device that does not work well with my Wi-Fi Base Station after I have installed an update, how can I install previous (earlier) versions of firmware?

Note: Before installing a previous (earlier) version of firmware, check to see if a newer version of the firmware is available online by opening AirPort Utility and choosing Airport Utility > Check for Updates... If a newer version appears, install it and verify that the issue still occurs before continuing with the following steps.

Open AirPort Utility.
Select your base station and choose Manual Setup, or double-click on the Wi-Fi base station icon.
Choose Base Station > Upload Firmware...
From the window that appears, select a firmware version and click OK. If you select Other from the Upload Version menu, you will be prompted to manually locate the firmware update.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I just updated one of the original AirPort Express-N basestations from firmware v7.4.1 to v7.5.2 and everything seems fine. I'm not using static IPs so I can't report on that issue. I was using v7.4.1 because that was the last version that seemed to work well on my hardware (although I hadn't tried any newer versions of the firmware for at least one year -- my credo being "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- especially true for WiFi). Let's hope the latest firmware is at least no worse than v7.4.1, as only time will tell since problems may not appear for several days (day-after-day stability being my major concern).

Last edited:

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
You should be able to revert to the previous firmware without uninstalling the AirPort Utility. Apple says in their tech note that previous versions of the firmware are archived by the utility and you should be able to re-install the old version manually. Here is the link to Apple's Tech Note:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1218

Below is an extract from that Tech Note:

*Should* is the operative term, but only if its on your system, for some reason, it wasnt on mine.

dbmnk

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
Funny- I didn't notice any problems with my AEBS(dual-band) until yesterday, when it suddenly stopped accepting new WIFI connections. Maybe it was looking for attention?? :p I hadn't restarted it in like half a year :D
Haha, me too

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Well that was a bit of a surprise to me. After the Airport update, I saw I needed to also update firmware on my Airport Express--that wasn't a surprise--but today I also updated firmware on my first gen Time Capsule. I thought Apple had given up on us--first update in a very long time.

Everything seems to be working ok with both devices including music streaming via Airfoil. :)

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
In all honesty I haven't seen any improvements with my TimeCapsule or Airport Extreme with these new firmwares. The only thing I noticed my port forwarding wasn't working after the FW updates. Then I re-configured port forwarding and everything went back to normal. Regarding support of old AirPorts and TimeCapsules, I think the reason is in the changes of 802.11n standard.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I just reverted both my AEBSs to 7.4.2. When resuming from sleep it was taking my Macbook Pro a long time (30+ seconds) to reacquire a wireless connection, while it reconnects to a 7.4.2 powered AEBS in a second or two.

ibosie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
London
L2TP VPN is still broken in Airport 7.5.2 so if your base station is sharing a public IP address and providing DHCP you would be unable to join the VPN on a Mac Mini Server from outside the network.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I guess all of us who think the new iPhoto is crap are being held back by Apple from using our RAW images from the latest digicams. I thought RAW compatibility was system-wide and not a part of specific apps.
It makes no sense that they would not let you import RAW pics into iPhoto '09.
Or Aperture 2.x for that matter. What gives?
It's just irritating, I've been waiting to be able to put my G12 pics into iPhoto.
I hate the new iPhoto and have no intention of upgrading until places actually works and full-screen comes back.
Aperture is cool but, $200?
Oh well, can anyone confirm that the Camera RAW is part of the OS and not just a add-on to the photo apps? If it is the OS then what the heck?
basically, older versions are blocked somehow. you should still be able to view it in Preview.

it's stupid, but everyone stops or excludes backwards compatibility, including Adobe.

Molly9

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
In all honesty I haven't seen any improvements with my TimeCapsule or Airport Extreme with these new firmwares. The only thing I noticed my port forwarding wasn't working after the FW updates. Then I re-configured port forwarding and everything went back to normal. Regarding support of old AirPorts and TimeCapsules, I think the reason is in the changes of 802.11n standard.
Hi- I have a wireless camera that is UPnP ready with port 8150. Before I had the port mapping screen under advanced where I could add the port. Now that port doesn't work and I can't seem to be able to find the area where it could work. You said you reconfigured the port forwarding? Can you be so kind as to provide the path to find the screen? I sort of wish I never updated, worked great before.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Whooppdie-doo, we STILL can't throttle our Guest Network bandwidth!

So called Airport "Extreme". Oooooh. Like, I'm shaking in my custom made baby seal leather boots.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.