Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a pair of updates to its Apple Remote Desktop management system aimed at administrators who oversee large numbers of computers, allowing them to assist users remotely, administer their systems, and deploy software updates.

Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 Admin (51 MB) and Apple Remote Desktop 3.3.1 Client (4.1 MB) address several reliability and security issues with the system. Full details of the improvements are provided in Apple's accompanying support document.
- Improves support for accessing client computers and task servers behind NAT (Network Address Translation) routers.
- Includes Task Server and Directory Server scanners, for finding client computers known by your task server and clients in computer groups on a directory server.
- New "Reporting" tab in client computer Info window, to set a single reporting policy for the client computer, shared by all Remote Desktop administrator computers.
- New "Administrators" tab in client computer Info window, to display and control which admin computers and task servers are associated with each client computer.
- Client settings configurable by Managed Preferences in Workgroup Manager.
- Support for finding and adding client computers via wide-area Bonjour.
- Resolves an issue using Lock Screen or Curtain mode on a client computer that's at the login window.
- Improves stability when running Remote Desktop Admin on a Task Server.
- Resolves an issue that could cause build_hd_index files to become very large.
- Improves compatibility with the Application Firewall.
- Change Client Settings task now works when the Remote Desktop administrator has an Active Directory account.
- Improves client stability when Sharing Screen.
- Scheduled UNIX Commands stay scheduled.
- When controlling a remote client, function keys and key combinations for actions such as Force Quit, Log Out, and the Application Switcher are now all sent to the remote computer.
- Improves screen sharing performance with RealVNC.
- Improves performance of encrypted file copies.

Article Link: Apple Releases Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 Updates

whoami

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
god damn that took them forever to release... they announced the update at wwdc in '08!

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Just updated Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 Admin and rebooted. I agree, the icon is still unchanged.

Alright it messed up some of my lists, now I have to go back to view options and re-check some items.

automachete

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Kansas City, MO
YES!!! I'm running snow leopard and was kinda pissed when I found out after the install that it breaks remote desktop. Just ran software update and it's working now in 10.6.

Awesometown! That's one less hurdle on my path to Snow Leopard adoption. Now I just need MacPorts to work as well as it does on Leopard.

evillinde

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Any help on this one?

- Client settings configurable by Managed Preferences in Workgroup Manager.

(not updated in the 3.3 manual either)

Mmm, nice... except how do we access it?

Adding Remote Desktop as a pref to Workgroup Manager gives me great options of how to manage the admin app...

Adding ARDagent adds nothing

Maybe I'm missing something?

Any server admins out there know?

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Be careful if you lock screens

If you lock a client screen and log in or out of the client computer you lose control of the client, the screen stays locked, and the only way to fix it is to reboot the client computer by holding down its power button. If are controlling computers/servers at a remote location this can really suck if no one is there to physically reboot the client!

Apple support doc

I can confirm this bug hits 10.4 and 10.5 clients, I haven't tested 10.6 clients

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.