Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_remote_desktop_binoculars.jpg

Apple today quietly updated its Apple Remote Desktop Admin software to version 3.5.1, addressing a single issue related to completion of reporting tasks.
Improvements

- Fixes an issue that could prevent reporting tasks from completing.
Apple Remote Desktop 3.5 was released last month alongside the debut of OS X Lion. The client software appeared as a 3.5.1 version, but the admin software arrived as version 3.5.

Article Link: Apple Releases Apple Remote Desktop 3.5.1 Admin

greekappi

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quick noob question: what exactly does this program, Remote Desktop, do for the end user? What are the advantages over using screen sharing or just enabling remote login in the sharing preferences in OSX? I can log into my home computer from anywhere without this Remote Desktop. What are the benefits?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quick noob question: what exactly does this program, Remote Desktop, do for the end user? What are the advantages over using screen sharing or just enabling remote login in the sharing preferences in OSX? I can log into my home computer from anywhere without this Remote Desktop. What are the benefits?

It goes beyond just remote desktop. It's more a tool to monitor and to control a number of macs. You can not only share the screen in several ways but also schedule tasks, execute remote commands and perform inventory activities. For the regular home user maybe too much, specially for the old price. But since it hit AppStore for some good price I couldnt resist.

You can also remote access from outside your network but of course you need to make the road for that (dyndns or fixed ip to the gateway, some setting in firewall).
I for sure preferr that one compared to any VNC; only wish would be a iPad app to remote control Macs via ARD.

fcphantom

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Appleton, WI
This does not fix the issue I've been having with the "Upgrade Client Software" feature where it hangs at 97% of "running package scripts" on every computer.

It also does not fix an issue where computers that have logged in since I started ARD show up as status "ARD not active". If I restart ARD, they show up just fine.

geto

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
This does not fix the issue I've been having with the "Upgrade Client Software" feature where it hangs at 97% of "running package scripts" on every computer.

It also does not fix an issue where computers that have logged in since I started ARD show up as status "ARD not active". If I restart ARD, they show up just fine.

I'm having the same problem, I manage over 200 machines and this is a vital tool for my sysadmin duties. C'mon Apple, you have to step up your game when it comes to software for system administrators.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.