Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
rosalindavenue said:
After all, it has been out for twenty minutes now-- anyone?

20 minutes out and you can try it on a Macbook which if I believe the marketing hype its really 4 times faster than my PB is so this install should only take 50 nanoseconds! If it takes any longer I want 50 pages of benchmarks done!

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Are there any bad points to Apple embracing XP like this? Tell me this isn't the start of Dvorak prediction coming true.:confused:

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
jessica. said:
Pardon my ignorance, but how is this good? Isn't the whole reason why we're supposed to "hate" windows is because it's a crap OS anyway open to so many viruses and such...how will this affect the mac computing environment??

Because there has been a demonstrated demand by consumers to have both Mac OS X and Windows installed on their Intel Mac. Many people would love to have a Mac, but are required to use Windows for work or already have a large investment in Windows only software. This is great news for those people. If you have no desire to install Windows on your Mac, then don't and you won't have to worry about any ill effects of Windows.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
People who use laptops for work and need both operating systems are going to be buying new Intel Mac laptops pretty soon I think.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Keeping windows on a virtual disk would be my first preference, but until there's a good virtualization solution, this is way more convenient for me than having to use my god-awful PIII Windows laptop that I've been keeping around just for the Windows things I have to do.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Is there any word on whether or not this is the same code used for the competition? If it is, I think this is good for that... I mean, there was one file that was messed up after an update that the user had to bless. So if apple has released this code, that would mean that there wouldn't be any glitches after a 10.4/5.x update.

Also, is there any word or indication that Apple had this solution available from the start, and decided to see what we came up with before releasing it, or is this something that has just come up since the onmac competition has ended?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Victory.jpg

WOOHOO!!!

petej

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2004
Sadly the profanity filter prevents me from expressing my true shock at this news. Big thumbs up to apple for this. Work forces me to use XP. Now I can take both XP and Mac on one machine not 2 and have them running at decent speeds. Would prefer to see XP safe and sound in a virtual shell but I'm sure something better is on its way for Leopard. Can't wait til WWDC for the preview.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
jessica. said:
Pardon my ignorance, but how is this good? Isn't the whole reason why we're supposed to "hate" windows is because it's a crap OS anyway open to so many viruses and such...how will this affect the mac computing environment??
It's a "bad" thing for those with strong OS religion, I suppose, but it's all good for Apple. Customers on the fence no longer need to fear that they won't find equivalents for their favorite programs, they now have a security blanket. Those who decide that OS X is not for them no longer need to return their Macs.

Apple will need to work hard to make sure that there is a good supply of enticing OS X-only software, but they have always needed to do that anyway.

nostrum

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
London
Its worth buying a MBP for. (but I'll still wait for the 12inch or 13 inch widescreen to come out first.)

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
This is great, but how different is it from those guys that had managed to boot a MacIntel with XP a few weeks ago?

Is it just a difference from "supported" and "unsupported"?

Thanks for enlightening me:D

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
I was afraid I might have to buy a windows machine for the new program I'm applying to at college, but no more! Thank god. Now I, too, will be able to enjoy the mac's beautiful aesthetics.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Unfrickingbelievable! Please forgive my ignorance... (I am only a month old switcher!) but:

Do you have to have an Intel based Mac to do this? :confused:

I have a G4 iBook I bought in late February, running 10.4.5... will Boot Camp work on it?

EDIT: Answered myself, looked it up on Apple's Boot Camp Site. :p Looks like I will be puttin my very loved iBook on eBay for the new iBook (someday when it comes out hehe)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This is a great addition, and for me a strong lure to move to intel when the Powermac (or whatever it will be called) series gets to REV-B of it's intel run.

I am currently happy with my PPC systems and do not feel that they are slow, however having a stronger user base using Apple hardware (because it can do more) will be a nice thing.

I am also hoping that the virtualization and or Emulation (a touchy subject) will be soon to arrive to the intel systems too. Dual boot is highly interesting, however I don't want to have to "reboot" to run XP or FreeBSD, I want to simply load a Virtual session, and have both or all systems running at the same time.

Whistleway

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
sonictonic said:
Unfrickingbelievable! Please forgive my ignorance... (I am only a month old switcher!) but:

Do you have to have an Intel based Mac to do this? :confused:

I have a G4 iBook I bought in late February, running 10.4.5... will Boot Camp work on it?

Only on Intel Macs.. Good way for them to make more sales.

bluefire75

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2006
Shinobi Training Center
Another Note To Keep In Mind

Something to keep in mind though if you plan on installing this:

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Sto...8A6-44B5-930B-7E09B6DA22A5}&siteid=mktw&dist=

"The company (Apple) said the software is a preview version licensed for use on a trial basis for a limited time. Apple also said it won't provide support for installing or running Boot Camp and noted it doesn't sell or support Windows software."

vlaleb

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Windows

The only safe way to run Windows is in the virtual machine. I'll wait for VirtualPC or use Qemu.
On the second thought, there is no safe way to run Windows. ;)

Vlad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.