Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released Digital Camera Raw Compatibility 2.3, bringing RAW support for several digital cameras to iPhoto '08 and Aperture 2.

This update extends RAW file compatibility for Aperture 2 and iPhoto ’08 for the following cameras:

Canon EOS 50D
Nikon D90
Sony DSLR-A900
Nikon Coolpix P6000

It also addresses issues related to specific cameras and overall stability.

The update weighs in at 4 MB and requires OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.3 or later.

Article Link: Apple Releases Digital Camera Raw Compatibility 2.3

dmcvay85

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
FINALLY!...I've been checking everyday for this update!....Just finished an engagement photoshoot in D90 Raw & really didn't want to convert to DNG.

Comment

Cadium

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
Installed without an issue on my computer. Thanks for the information! :)

Comment

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Does anyone know it this fixes the issues with Canon XT and XTi's where the last update made image capture freeze and become none responsive?

Comment

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
Does anyone know it this fixes the issues with Canon XT and XTi's where the last update made image capture freeze and become none responsive?

amen, that's what i'm waiting for. thought the last one would have fixed it but i'm still having problems. grrr.

Comment

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I am hoping, though not too high, that it would fix the lockup on the XTI. It plagued me the other day after a shoot for a car meet. But a unplug and replug of the camera with a nice force quit to Aperture 2 did this trick. Along with some praying that it did not decide to corrupt anything in the process.

However I am happy to see the 50d update for RAW. Now I can go upgrade my camera. I wonder if this update will support sRAW for the 50d too? Not that I would use it over RAW.

Comment

risenphoenixkai

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
So what's the verdict? Does this update fix Aperture's compatibility with the XTi? I had to downgrade to RAW 2.1 after 2.2 broke Aperture.

Comment

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006

amen, that's what i'm waiting for. thought the last one would have fixed it but i'm still having problems. grrr.

I am hoping, though not too high, that it would fix the lockup on the XTI. It plagued me the other day after a shoot for a car meet. But a unplug and replug of the camera with a nice force quit to Aperture 2 did this trick. Along with some praying that it did not decide to corrupt anything in the process.

However I am happy to see the 50d update for RAW. Now I can go upgrade my camera. I wonder if this update will support sRAW for the 50d too? Not that I would use it over RAW.

So what's the verdict? Does this update fix Aperture's compatibility with the XTi? I had to downgrade to RAW 2.1 after 2.2 broke Aperture.

I shall try it out tonight when I get home if there is no answer by then. :)

Comment

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
I'm not a photography person of any sort. I have a Canon SD850iS and thats it. I always see these "Raw" compatibility updates and I just don't know what they mean. Obviously they have to do with photographers, but is there any kind of simple explanation anyone can give as to what this means? I'm honestly just curious, I know it doesn't affect me really at all. Too much jargon and you'll lose me quick. Thanks.

Comment

risenphoenixkai

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
I'm not a photography person of any sort. I have a Canon SD850iS and thats it. I always see these "Raw" compatibility updates and I just don't know what they mean. Obviously they have to do with photographers, but is there any kind of simple explanation anyone can give as to what this means? I'm honestly just curious, I know it doesn't affect me really at all. Too much jargon and you'll lose me quick. Thanks.

RAW is simply an optional photo format that DSLR cameras shoot. Most point-and-shoot cameras like the one you have shoot the picture and automatically convert it into a .jpg file. When this happens, the file gets compressed to a much smaller size, and the camera's software also automatically does things like colour correction.

RAW pictures are exactly what the camera's sensor sees, without any compression or colour correction. RAW images allow for greater flexibility in post-processing images, but the tradeoff is they're a great deal larger in terms of file size.

Bottom line: I don't think your camera shoots in RAW format anyway, so these updates don't really affect you one way or the other. The RAW compatibility updates just allow Mac OS X to integrate the RAW files coming from certain models of cameras.

Comment

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
XTi's work fine after updating
I can try my mom's XT as well if anyone is still unsure about the update.

Comment

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
RAW is simply an optional photo format that DSLR cameras shoot. Most point-and-shoot cameras like the one you have shoot the picture and automatically convert it into a .jpg file. When this happens, the file gets compressed to a much smaller size, and the camera's software also automatically does things like colour correction.

RAW pictures are exactly what the camera's sensor sees, without any compression or colour correction. RAW images allow for greater flexibility in post-processing images, but the tradeoff is they're a great deal larger in terms of file size.

Bottom line: I don't think your camera shoots in RAW format anyway, so these updates don't really affect you one way or the other. The RAW compatibility updates just allow Mac OS X to integrate the RAW files coming from certain models of cameras.

Ahh.. now I get it, seriously. Thanks for this, I actually understood it. Good thing to know for future reference, I'd like to get a DSLR one day... Thanks again, exactly what I was looking for in an answer.

Comment

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
It's not an app, it's support across the whole OS, quick-look, preview, aperture, and iPhoto.

I love it, I've been waiting for a month for D90 support..stupid DNG files take up 2x more space.
The OS, not the kernel. There is no reason to why Apple force a restart, they just need to restart the services. A simple logout would be more than enough.

Comment

sgntscrawn

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
Just be thankful that its not Windows Update. My dad has a Windows XP laptop, which defaults to simply download the updates without even telling him. He kept on wondering why the hell the internet was so slow before I found out his computer was downloading about 500MB of updates!

He's getting an iMac soon :D

Comment

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Just be thankful that its not Windows Update. My dad has a Windows XP laptop, which defaults to simply download the updates without even telling him. He kept on wondering why the hell the internet was so slow before I found out his computer was downloading about 500MB of updates!

My MacBook Pro does that same exact thing all the time, it only ever tells me to type in my password so it can finish the install.

Comment

Nov 6, 2007

He's getting an iMac soon :D

yeb, been there done that. At work we use a lot of virtual machines because we connect to the internet and other networks a lot to support hospitals. We don't want our main desktop messed up if some network has a virus or something. Our Vm's were at 5gb (OS and 1 or 2 apps). We had to up the images to 16gb just because the size and number of Windows updates.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.