Apple Releases Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.3

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday released Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.3, bringing support for the RAW image format to Aperture 3 and iPhoto '09 with the following cameras:
- Canon PowerShot SX1 IS
- Olympus E-PL1
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10
- Samsung NX10
- Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
- Sony Alpha NEX-3
- Sony Alpha NEX-5
The update weighs in at 5.68 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.2 or later. A full list of cameras for which RAW support is currently offered can be found on Apple's support site.

Article Link: Apple Releases Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.3

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I wonder if this also resolves the magenta-shifting of highlights that I've been experiencing with Canon EOS 1D3 and PowerShot S60 .CR2 files...

claud9999

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
RAW support fast?

YESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E-PL1 support finally. :D
Agreed. I've been using the "Olympus Master 2" software with my E-PL1's RAW files and it's ssssslllllooooowwwww (like 20s to display a pic in 1:1 resolution). Wondering if iPhoto's RAW handling is significantly faster than the Olympus s/w.

Been holding off on upgrading from iPhoto '08 -> '09 in the hopes that '10 will come out soon....................soon?

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
I'm suprised to see there's still support for the Lumix FZ35 camera's .rw2 RAW files.

I hope Apple adds support this in a future Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update.

I own that model-and currently have to use Silkypix to work with the RAW files from the camera.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I just wish Apple would add DNG 5.4 support. There's native RAW support for the Panasonic micro four thirds cameras with the advanced correction features, so presumably the foundation for DNG 5 (which is different from older DNG versions because of those same features) is in place.

Thing is, since Adobe's DNG converter is free, once Apple adds support for the latest version they get automatic support for pretty much EVERYTHING, since Adobe is pretty on top of adding new cameras to the DNG converter. It is, admittedly, an additional step to convert from native RAW to DNG, but DNG is at least standardized, so I don't need to worry about support for my specific camera down the line. The files are also a little smaller, as a bonus.

Now, why cameras aren't writing DNGs (or some currently non-existent universal RAW format) natively is another question. It's ridiculous that there isn't a standardized solution for this problem already.