Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphoto_final_cut_studio.jpg

Apple today issued a pair of software updates, expanding the list of cameras for which the RAW image format is supported in iPhoto and Aperture and updating the user interface functionality for Apple's professional applications.

- Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.7 is recommended for all users of Aperture 3 and iPhoto '11 and provides RAW image compatibility for the following cameras:
- Fujifilm FinePix X100
- Nikon D5100
- Olympus E-PL2
- Olympus XZ-1
- Samsung GX-1S
The update weighs in at 6.62 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later.

- ProKit 7.0 brings updates to the user interface of Apple's professional applications.
This ProKit Update fixes the following minor issues:

- Improved support for PopOver style tooltips.
- Improved support for Font Smoothing.
- Addresses an issue with an unwanted gap between a menu and submenu.
- Fixes leaks and improves stability for the color picker and timecode interface in Final Cut Pro and Motion.
- Improved compatibility when importing assets from older versions of Soundtrack Pro.
- Fixes an issue with the scrubber appearance in Logic Express and Logic Pro.
- Addresses AppKit related crashes in Motion.

This update is recommended for users of Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, iPhoto, Aperture, Final Cut Express, Logic Pro, MainStage, Logic Express and iAd Producer.
The update weighs in at 15.7 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later.

Article Link: Apple Releases Digital Camera RAW Update and ProKit 7.0

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
...and they still HAVEN'T added support for the Samsung TL500 (aka EX1 outside the US). The camera came out June 2010. And I STILL can't go from RAW (.SRW) straight into Aperture. I have to use something else to convert the RAW files.

:mad:

And I've contacted Apple several times (in Aperture Feedback) asking them to add support for the damn camera! And to make things worse, you can see the image previews in Aperture., you just can't import them! :mad::mad:

Comment

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
This is the wrong approach anyway

It is frustrating that Apple and Adobe Camera RAW are different, out of phase and incompatible. Worse, Adobe CR is stranded at version 5.x for some versions of their sw, and 6.x is required for latest devices. It's a mess and it is the wrong approach:

The RAW interpreter for a given camera is akin to a device driver, it is device-specific software. They should be produced by the device OEM, like a printer driver. e.g I just bought an Oly EPL2 - so Olympus should provide to me at the time of purchase the RAW driver on CD along with the other software such as the firmware updater, etc. Then I can install that driver and all software such as LR, Aperture, etc can make use of it. Anybody who buys that device (camera) would then install it and be good to go...not at the mercy of the software OEMs.

Further, these could be bundled and redistributed thru Software Update like the printer drivers..but they would be universally usable by all apps, unlike today.

My 2c

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.