Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_pro_retina_hand.jpg

Apple has just released a new TV ad for the Retina MacBook Pro, naturally focusing on the breakthrough Retina display included in the machine unveiled yesterday.
The radical new MacBook Pro with Retina display. Innovation in every dimension.
While Apple has had several high-profile Mac ad campaigns such as "Get a Mac" and "Switch" , the company only rarely advertises specific Mac products in television commercials. But with the revolutionary new form factor and Retina display in the new MacBook Pro, Apple is clearly interested in drawing widespread attention to the product.

Article Link: Apple Releases 'Every Dimension' TV Commercial for Retina MacBook Pro

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Does anyone have any idea as to why Apple only released one of these models instead up just updating the whole MacBook Pro lineup to this new form factor and retina display? Does it have anything to do with price discrimination in order to get the most money out of it or did they actually have a reason for only releasing it in one 15" model?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Does anyone have any idea as to why Apple only released one of these models instead up just updating the whole MacBook Pro lineup to this new form factor and retina display? Does it have anything to do with price discrimination in order to get the most money out of it or did they actually have a reason for only releasing it in one 15" model?

The ODD is dying a slow death and SSD's are still too expensive for large capacities, something a pro user needs.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

I think $1199 would be hard to reach with a Retina display.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

I'm not sure it's related to the number of pixels or if statistically Apple determined it wasn't to their advantage to create a 17" model.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
It's too bad there are no televisions available with the resolution to show how good the retina display resolution is. I wonder if this will increase traffic to Apple Stores because that's the only way to see how good the new display is.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I really, really like this new machine. Yve and his team once again did an awesome job. It was the only highlight of a rather uninteresting keynote.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
Are new commercials for Apple products really worth a page 1 post? Isn't that just an advertisement, too?

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I think $1199 would be hard to reach with a Retina display.

yet they can fit a fairly complex high res screen in an ipad, and a much larger battery, than hte previous year, and keep it at the same price.

Sure the ipad may have had a larger margin to play with, but between the larger SSD and the retna display, i suspect apple have a fair bit of margin buffer added into this product.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's too bad there are no televisions available with the resolution to show how good the retina display resolution is.

You mean not until Apple releases there. :D:D

Seriously though, if they did a Retina Cinema Display in like a 40 inch with HDMI input I'd be all over it. Put it right next to my ODD list, slimmed up 30 inch retina iMac.

kustardking

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
New York
Are new commercials for Apple products really worth a page 1 post? Isn't that just an advertisement, too?

Well, 99% of the articles will be about Apple; note the "macrumors" domain name. Anyone coming to the forum is looking for Apple info, so it's not like a soda ad placement or something. It's legitimate news in that it shows what Apple's focus is, relevant for both investors and consumers alike. I for one do not watch TV, so I don't see popular-culture ads. Furthermore, if these forums don't constantly post fresh articles, people will stop visiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.