Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
You mean not until Apple releases there. :D:D

Seriously though, if they did a Retina Cinema Display in like a 40 inch with HDMI input I'd be all over it. Put it right next to my ODD list, slimmed up 30 inch retina iMac.

That would be great but there's no content to show on a screen that good, yet. Outside of using it as a giant external monitor there's really nothing to play that would take advantage of the resolution.

Hopefully the arrival of these screens will lead to higher standards arriving sooner than later.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Widespread attention for a $2200 Retina laptop...yeah...Apple will get widespread attention alright.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
Well, 99% of the articles will be about Apple; note the "macrumors" domain name. Anyone coming to the forum is looking for Apple info, so it's not like a soda ad placement or something. It's legitimate news in that it shows what Apple's focus is, relevant for both investors and consumers alike. I for one do not watch TV, so I don't see popular-culture ads. Furthermore, if these forums don't constantly post fresh articles, people will stop visiting.

Understood and I respect your points, but jesus, I mean tv commercials. I think a dedicated "Apple ads" page or subforum would be more appropriate.

Steve~Jobs

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
I forget the name of the advertising company that Apple uses (it was mentioned the Steve Jobs book, I'm guessing they still use the same company) But anyway the security level at that company has to rival Apple since a comercial produced like this would take bare minium a couple days to put together. Which means that at least a dozen people filming, editing, voiceovers, etc... would know the details about this new product. It's amazing that those people can keep a secret. Unless of course the ad is filmed and edited in less then 24 hours, which is doubtful.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
What is that person's finger doing at the end? It's like it's tapping somewhere in the middle of the keyboard? Like... wha? :confused:

Nice ad, but the ending for me kills it. Just doesn't make any sense, unless I'm being dense...

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Widespread attention for a $2200 Retina laptop...yeah...Apple will get widespread attention alright.

I don't particularly care about the cost. I care about pushing the industry forward, because sadly, most PC OEMs could care less about making better computers until Apple basically makes them look like total ****. Without OS X, we wouldn't have the polished performance of Windows 7 after the horrendous start of Windows Vista. Without iOS, we wouldn't have the diversity of Android and the forced rebirth of Windows Mobile into Windows Phone 7.

Competition is the only thing that causes companies to push the boundaries of what they can do.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
yet they can fit a fairly complex high res screen in an ipad, and a much larger battery, than hte previous year, and keep it at the same price.

Sure the ipad may have had a larger margin to play with, but between the larger SSD and the retna display, i suspect apple have a fair bit of margin buffer added into this product.

Good point.

But... Apple buys iPad screens by the tens of millions. I'm sure they get a damn good price for them. Bulk pricing, economies of scale, all that jazz.

Tim Cook is the supply chain guy. He probably crunched the numbers and decided it wasn't feasible to roll out Retina screens to the entire Macbook line.

All we can do is speculate.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Carrying on the branding from the WWDC keynote

When Phil introduced the machine in the WWDC keynote, they had it on a turntable. They continue using the turntable in their TV ad campaign. Cool.

dank414

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I tell you the truth: It's too expensive.

I agree. I was hoping the New Macbook Pro with the tune of $1799 original price. While I love the retina screen, if the price could be reduced by using the older 1680x1050 hi-res display panel; I would choose that instead. It's just difficult to justify the $2200 price tag.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I think that this commercial is more about what Apple is, rather than that product. I love the touch at the end. It drives home Apple's innovative use of touch. There's something so 'human' about that.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
I forget the name of the advertising company that Apple uses (it was mentioned the Steve Jobs book, I'm guessing they still use the same company) But anyway the security level at that company has to rival Apple since a comercial produced like this would take bare minium a couple days to put together. Which means that at least a dozen people filming, editing, voiceovers, etc... would know the details about this new product. It's amazing that those people can keep a secret. Unless of course the ad is filmed and edited in less then 24 hours, which is doubtful.

Not to mention the hundreds of people who were involved in its development. It's amazing what an NDA and threats of legal action can do.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
The last time Apple had a brand new design, was the Macbook Air. Back in 2008 the entry air was something like $1600, it's come down nearly half that. Hopefully the next iteration in 2013 will feature a price drop. THEN, I will jump onboard.

ObjectiveV

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
I like how they show the machine doing real pro level work since that is their market.

Don't really care for the voice work though.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
It didnt shocked em.

There was not wow effect in that commercial, was neither fun or had any "spirit".

The lack of Steve Jobs and his approach is dissolving. I see selling features, not an experience.

TheStonepedo

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
It's too bad there are no televisions available with the resolution to show how good the retina display resolution is. I wonder if this will increase traffic to Apple Stores because that's the only way to see how good the new display is.
It's like watching an ad for Blu-Ray full of supposedly-amazing video and sound effects being played as a trailer on a DVD on a CRT TV.
It should be fun to test-fire one at a brick and mortar store.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
still have to see this in person, might have to head out to the apple store tomorrow :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What is that person's finger doing at the end? It's like it's tapping somewhere in the middle of the keyboard? Like... wha? :confused:

Nice ad, but the ending for me kills it. Just doesn't make any sense, unless I'm being dense...

doesn't matter what they are doing. the finger is there as a visual reference for just how thin it is. Phil did the same thing at the Keynote

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.