Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

lukemcurley

7nkR9.jpg

Disappointed as the Mountain Lion slide on PowerNap clearly stated 2nd gen MacBook Air (the 2nd gen was released in late 2010 with a new design).

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
And where the heck is the stupid Thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter?? Thanks to Apple and its wisdom in not supporting USB 3.0, I'm now using USB 2.0 on the macbook since the portable HD makers only supported firewire and usb 2.0 for macs. Trying to pull video off the portable is making me pull my hair out.

The MBPR does support USB3. Or is it that you've only got USB 2.0 and FW enclosures?

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK

Disappointed as the Mountain Lion slide on PowerNap clearly stated 2nd gen MacBook Air (the 2nd gen was released in late 2010 with a new design).

Well, looks like the slide was supposed to say "2nd generation Core i series".

Because a 2nd gen MBA (MBA 2,1) is the late-2008 MBA (Penryn, GeForce 9400 graphics)...

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Smart Connect

The Intel Smart Connect Technology, which is probably responsible for Power Nap, was on introduced somewhere in may 2011, which obviously excludes all Airs prior to the mid-2011 model. I'm actually a happy owner of such a computer and don't understand why the announcement at WWDC stated that 2nd gen MBAs would get Power Nap.

andrewkendall

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
My 2010 Air 11" got the firmware upgrade a few days after the GM was released. I installed straight away and PowerNap has been working great ever since.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Well, looks like the slide was supposed to say "2nd generation Core i series".

Because a 2nd gen MBA (MBA 2,1) is the late-2008 MBA (Penryn, GeForce 9400 graphics)...

That wasn't exactly clear, so it seemed obvious that with "2nd generation" they meant the redesigned MBA (so starting with the 2010 model). And that was without any doubt what they meant, because the system requirements on apple.com also stated that for Power Nap you need at least MBA 2010.

Now that it turned out not to be the case, instead of admitting their mistake / misleading, they can just say: "Oh, we meant the second generation of the redesigned MacBook Airs!" (which is the 2011 model) I wouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

Cmmts

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
This reminds me of the uphill battle that Android will be facing in the coming years now that both Apple and Microsoft are increasing the value of their respective mobile offerings by their deep integration and syncing of native applications on the desktop/laptop with mobile while Android doesn't have anything comparable.

Windows Phone/Tablet has PCs with Windows 8, iOS has Macs with OS X Mountain Lion, and Android has Chromebooks. Will be interesting times to see what happens in this new era.

Except for calendar, gmail, contacts, gdrive with docs, reminders in gmail, google play store...

----------

My 2010 Air 11" got the firmware upgrade a few days after the GM was released. I installed straight away and PowerNap has been working great ever since.

Interesting, so it has been removed between the gm and the launch version.

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom

I'm disappointed too, especially given the reviews which said this feature by itelf was worth the price of the upgrade.

The Verge:
Assuming you have a new enough machine to use Power Nap, it’s a game changer — another feature worth upgrading for all by itself.

On the basis Apple has confirmed at launch my 2nd Gen MBA would be compatible I bought ML last night and installed it onto my MBA.

How do refunds work on the Mac App Store? :(

andrewkendall

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Interesting, so it has been removed between the gm and the launch version.

Yes, looks that way. Wonder why it was pulled at the last minute, it seems to be working perfectly for me. I just checked my Time Machine backups to see if the 2010 PowerNap firmware installer was still cached somewhere, but can't find it. Hopefully someone else has a copy they can post.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Not sure if I like the idea of my Mac updating and other thing while it's meant to be asleep.

Sorry if it's been covered but can you turn it off?

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
..I was just making the point I haven't seen any reason why this feature wasn't included, so the only logical reason is that it was a business decision for more profit..

The only logical conclusion is that you don't know the reason.

It could be:
  • technical barriers making low-power functions hard to implement on older mac's
  • a feature that needs *engineering/preparation, so only macs after a certain point in time have these modifications
  • shortage of engineers
  • shortage of mountain dew
  • a conspiracy
  • divine intervention

asd789789

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
Anyone else realized that it only works while the MBA is plugged in?! The homepage says:

When your Mac goes to sleep, it still gets things done with Power Nap. It periodically updates Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Photo Stream, Find My Mac, and Documents in the Cloud. When your Mac is connected to a power source, it downloads software updates and makes backups with Time Machine...

Which I interpreted as: "The power source is only necessary for Time Machine backups and software updates". In fact the menu in ML says power is needed for everything (I can't give you the original English text...).
Tested it with a new Reminder list and it didn't sync while not plugged in :eek:

Did i interpret the Homepage wrong :confused:

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Ridiculous!

Yet another feature that doesn't work unless you have a "brand new" computer. My "late 2010" MBA can't use Powernap OR Airplay Mirroring.

This is very disturbing and annoying. If Apple wants people to replace their laptops every year they should lower their prices.

Muffin87

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) - Coming soon

Just a tad bit odd how nothing is quiet smooth today when it comes to all the software updates.

I find absolutely absurd that they designed a retina display, a thinner case, but couldn't think of coding an update to make the Retina MacBook Pro compliant with Power Nap and releasing it on the same day Mountain Lion was bound to be released.

It might sound arrogant, but hey... I'm buying the latest notebook and it requires an update to work with the latest software from the firm that produced the notebook? And it's not coming out with the release of that software?

I thought apple's philosophy was to build computers and code the softwares to be run on them so that everything is smooth and integrated.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
The bigger downfall of this is the unsupported 3rd Party SSDs that we all have installed in our MBPs/iMacs, etc. I probably wouldnt use this feature, but its just the fact that they arent supporting 3rd party SSDs that makes me slightly annoyed.

smeagol

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2003
New York
Is there a real reason for this or is it just BS like many of the features left off older iphones? I can tolerate it on a mobile device but if they start leaving key features off of my computer for no reason (because lets face it even a core 2 duo has enough power to do any of these features) my 2010 imac will be my last mac

No, it won't be your last. Besides, getting an alternative pc still won't get you a powernap.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Except for calendar, gmail, contacts, gdrive with docs, reminders in gmail, google play store...

----------

Not a single one of those are deeply integrated into the OS itself natively. Microsoft and Apple have that advantage because they develop and own the OS themselves. Google is banking on their Chromebooks but your entire OS being just a web browser is not something that people seem to want. I'm sorry but I can't use Terminal on a web browser and I can't create presentations in Google Docs like the powerful and fluid things I can do in Powerpoint and Keynote.

Even on mobile, I always prefer fast native applications over comparably slower web based abominations like the Facebook app or the gmail app on iOS.

HTML5 web based applications are better than Flash, but they just don't compare to real native apps based on higher level languages like Objective C and C#. Google is finding this out with the poor reception of their Chromebooks. Facebook found this out as well which is why they are now in the process of completely redoing their Facebook app for iOS in Objective C.

HTML5 is great for the web but is a poor replacement for a real OS and full native applications.

Microsoft and Apple have a clear upper hand in this new era of integration. Web-only "cloud" solutions are so 2005. Native applications that are effectively "everywhere" by using the cloud as a highway is the future as it is the only thing they lacked in 2005 compared to web-only applications.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.