Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.5 beta to public beta testers, just a day after releasing the first OS X 10.11.5 beta to developers and two weeks after releasing OS X 10.11.4, the fourth update to the OS X 10.11 operating system.

The new beta is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store for those who are enrolled in Apple's beta testing program. Those wishing to join the program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website.

elcapitanmacbook-800x463.jpg

Most of the updates to OS X 10.11 have been minor in scale, and OS X 10.11.5 is no exception. The update appears to focus on under-the-hood bug fixes, security enhancements, and performance improvements with no obvious outward-facing changes.

Article Link: Apple Releases First OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan Beta to Public Beta Testers

ThomasJL

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
Has the public beta testing program really made a significant improvement leading to a more stable OS in a shorter amount of time? From the numerous comments from users, it seems like El Capitan is one of the buggiest versions of OS X ever.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Has the public beta testing program really made a significant improvement leading to a more stable OS in a shorter amount of time? From the numerous comments from users, it seems like El Capitan is one of the buggiest versions of OS X ever.
And do you know how many negative comments were present for the last four or five versions of OS X? It seems like every time, people complain about the latest and look back at the previous version and say "it was all better before".

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Interesting that this has a higher build number than the developer beta: 15F18c

The developer one was 15F18b

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
And do you know how many negative comments were present for the last four or five versions of OS X? It seems like every time, people complain about the latest and look back at the previous version and say "it was all better before".

While I doubt you will find stats on negative comments, or prove otherwise , coming from a development background, switching to annual updates of OS X and releasing a new version of OS X each year, results In feature development and not maintaince , hence people complain about bugs.

I can definely say that an OS 2-3 years in is a lot more stable and bug free than a new OS every 12 months . Current release schedule is not realistic to meet feature development , let alone correcting outstanding bugs.

Window 10 will be very solid this year, while we get a new version of OS X with new bugs.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
While I doubt you will find stats on negative comments, or prove otherwise , coming from a development background, switching to annual updates of OS X and releasing a new version of OS X each year, results In feature development and not maintaince , hence people complain about bugs.

I can definely say that an OS 2-3 years in is a lot more stable and bug free than a new OS every 12 months . Current release schedule is not realistic to meet feature development , let alone correcting outstanding bugs.

Window 10 will be very solid this year, while we get a new version of OS X with new bugs.
And you are right about broken window 10. It will be a solid year for ms as they will know your activity from behind the scene.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012

Although I agree in general, I have to say that my experience has been that OS X is stable out of the gate. There have been very few bugs at the core. Most of the complaints are one off issues in a feature.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
I don't think it really has brought any major bug fixes, if most people are like me at least. I used to report bugs, but stopped because I didn't feel like it. Only if it was an incredibly annoying bug. I just want to get a sneak peak.

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016

I feel for all the folks having issues with El Capitan, and considering all those reports it's really weird that I haven't experienced any issues. With that sort of divide between different sets of users, I wonder if it makes it harder to track down the bugs.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think it really has brought any major bug fixes, if most people are like me at least. I used to report bugs, but stopped because I didn't feel like it. Only if it was an incredibly annoying bug. I just want to get a sneak peak.

In my case I stopped sending bug reports because most of the bugs I reported weren't fixed at all. Issues such as Photos app misbehaving, Time Machine not backing all the files, USB devices not working properly, Finder problems, Preview not showing files properly etc.

I got fed up with the whole mess, downgraded back to Mavericks and everything works again. I am not certain I wish to try public beta again because bugs aren't fixed in reasonable timeframe. I have similar experience with Yosemite beta and I think Apple should reconsider how public beta is handled. Why should I report bugs if they aren't fixed?

jasnw

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Wow, after over three days only 16 responses (counting this one) to an OS X beta release. Sounds like people are beginning to no longer care about these since Apple doesn't seem to care about addressing problems their users care about. I am parked on Mavericks even thought I dislike it because (a) falling all the way back to SL is not possible (hardware and security issues) and (b) everything since Mavericks is worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.