Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming macOS Monterey 12.5 update to its public beta testing group, with the update coming one day after Apple provided the beta to developers.

macOS-Monterey-on-MBP-Feature.jpg

Public beta testers can download the macOS Monterey 12.5 update from the Software Update section of the System Preferences app after installing the proper profile from Apple's beta software website.

There's no word yet on what new features or changes might be included in macOS Monterey 12.5, and nothing new was found in the first developer beta. Apple has provided no details on this time, so we may need to wait for release to find out what bug fixes or minor changes might be included.

macOS Monterey is likely to be one of the final updates to the macOS Monterey operating system as Apple begins its transition to the next-generation version of macOS.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Public Beta of macOS Monterey 12.5

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Maybe laying the foundation for some WWDC stuff such as Classical Music from Apple Music? Plus a good set of bug and security fixes.

Reactions: nrose101

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Well beta testing is not about what to avoid reading release notes, it's just doing what you normally do and if you encounter issues, feedback your issues to Apple.
Yesh but knowing what should be fixed or what is known to not work helps that. MS has great notes on every insider build of what's fixed, new, changed, and known to be an issue.

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
Is it possible to download the beta OS installer directly? To install it in VMWare?

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Yesh but knowing what should be fixed or what is known to not work helps that. MS has great notes on every insider build of what's fixed, new, changed, and known to be an issue.
The MacOS release notes are for advising about changes to the respective SDK for devs.

While they do list some known issues and some fixed issues at times, it's never been a full list of what constitutes bugs/issues. That is usually gleaned from people discussing some issues online at times. Its certainly not the same as MS issuing critical updates or service pack and providing details on all the changes.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
The MacOS release notes are for advising about changes to the respective SDK for devs.

While they do list some known issues and some fixed issues at times, it's never been a full list of what constitutes bugs/issues. That is usually gleaned from people discussing some issues online at times. Its certainly not the same as MS issuing critical updates or service pack and providing details on all the changes.
Given the number of critical security patches MS has to issue, they should be good at it by now. Nothing beats experience

• Disagree
Reactions: foliovision

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
I'm sticking with Intel Macs as long as I can including a 2019 i9 27" iMac and 2 trash can Mac Pro's.

Mammoth macOS 13 is coming out and made for Intel but the 2013 Mac Pro's get cut this time around.

I'm sure someone will CRACK Mammoth to run on Hackintosh, Alder Lake, and 2013 Mac Pro's

That holds me over until 2023 2024.

All the Apple silicon issues should be worked out by then including software optimization.

Reactions: foliovision

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I'm sticking with Intel Macs as long as I can including a 2019 i9 27" iMac and 2 trash can Mac Pro's.

Mammoth macOS 13 is coming out and made for Intel but the 2013 Mac Pro's get cut this time around.

I'm sure someone will CRACK Mammoth to run on Hackintosh, Alder Lake, and 2013 Mac Pro's

That holds me over until 2023 2024.

All the Apple silicon issues should be worked out by then including software optimization.
I have been having cold feet regarding hoping for all issues to be resolved for the last three or four years …
To get the latest and the greatest features+performance boosts you have to get the latest macOS’s (for safari fixes, Apple Music, mail, etc etc fixes, Bluetooth drivers ironed out, Metal drivers features and bug fixes to allow the likes of Blender to fly, FCP to have the latest gadgets), but for example, since 12.3+ python 2.7 got wiped, which brought hell on an Unity project that had a Firebase library that was relying on that… plus minor quirks here and there.

The cycle is soon to be over, I’m not 100% comfortable yet on Monterey (although not far from it if it weren’t for those large surprise changes) but a new version is already incoming… this just requires too many jumps of faith constantly ?

Reactions: borgusio

SedellJ

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2022
Maybe laying the foundation for some WWDC stuff such as Classical Music from Apple Music? Plus a good set of bug and security fixes.
I don't expect Apple to waste breath at WWDC on the Classical Music app. Maybe, but I'm expecting a press release next week or the week after. Remember, Dolby Atmos + Lossless--arguably a much bigger update--was announced through a video posted to the browse page on Apple Music alongside a Newsroom press release.

Also, both Atmos and Lossless were announced May 17th, 2021, with a rollout that coincided with a brief tease of the features at WWDC. The timing is too similar.

Jerry Fritschle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2004
Well considering that they are still updating Big Sur, not just Security updates, it may not be one of the last updates for Monterey. Looks like Big Sur 11.6.7 is in beta...

I can't speak to what is really under the hood, but under the new versioning convention (since we dispensed with 10.x.x), it "is" more or less "just" a security update. It's a good guess, though, that WebKit is part of the change, since that gets put in the SSV.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I'm really hoping they overhaul the GUI under the hood with macOS 13, as lots of extremely annoying things still haven't been fixed...

Every mac I ever had, creating "Recovered Files" folders in the Bin...

The windows not retaining the size defaults I set, forcing me to resize them and enlarge the sidebars each and every time...

Inconsistent Dark Mode when finder windows are open...

Absence of Cut/Paste workflow...

I swear, I had less problems on High Sierra (with regards to navigating the OS) than Big Sur and Monterey.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I don't expect Apple to waste breath at WWDC on the Classical Music app. Maybe, but I'm expecting a press release next week or the week after. Remember, Dolby Atmos + Lossless--arguably a much bigger update--was announced through a video posted to the browse page on Apple Music alongside a Newsroom press release.

Also, both Atmos and Lossless were announced May 17th, 2021, with a rollout that coincided with a brief tease of the features at WWDC. The timing is too similar.
Apple Music is still quite unpolished...

First of all it takes "long" to boot, making you wait a few seconds to see anything when you open the program, and seeing that blank grey screen does't really suggest refinement.

Also tracks stopping to play when you add them to playlists, albums not showing in artists' discographies despite being available on the platform, and all the rest...

If Apple doesn't really improve Apple Music on 13.00, it'll lose part of the respect I have for the company.

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
I am still on big nur 11.6 because of the infinite list of bugs of Monterey on my Mac mini M1 that are still unresolved and this is "one of the final updates to the macOS Monterey operating system as Apple begins its transition to the next-generation version of macOS." Seriously APPLE!?!?

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
I have been having cold feet regarding hoping for all issues to be resolved for the last three or four years …
To get the latest and the greatest features+performance boosts you have to get the latest macOS’s (for safari fixes, Apple Music, mail, etc etc fixes, Bluetooth drivers ironed out, Metal drivers features and bug fixes to allow the likes of Blender to fly, FCP to have the latest gadgets), but for example, since 12.3+ python 2.7 got wiped, which brought hell on an Unity project that had a Firebase library that was relying on that… plus minor quirks here and there.

The cycle is soon to be over, I’m not 100% comfortable yet on Monterey (although not far from it if it weren’t for those large surprise changes) but a new version is already incoming… this just requires too many jumps of faith constantly ?
Agreed - this is not as it should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.