Apple Releases First Public Beta of tvOS 12.3

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 28, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 12.3 update to its public beta testing group, one day after providing the beta to developers and a few days after releasing tvOS 12.2.

The tvOS 12.3 public beta can be obtained by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section under "System." "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the Apple TV will download the beta software.

tvOS 12.3 includes the revamped Apple TV app that Apple debuted at its services-focused event on Monday. The new TV app is a better version of the original TV app, offering up access to TV shows, sports, news, and more in one spot.

There's still a "Watch Now" section with an "Up Next" feature for keeping track of what you're in the middle of watching, but there's a new "For You" feature that recommends new content based on what you've previously watched.

A new "Channels" option lets you subscribe to third-party services like Showtime, Starz, and HBO right within the TV app, and you can even watch all of the content from the services included in Channels right in the TV app without having to open a third-party app.

Channels will include CBS All Access, Starz, Showtime, HBO, Nickelodeon, Mubi, The History Channel Vault, and Comedy Central Now, but during the beta, only Showtime, Starz, Smithsonian, and Tastemade are accessible. You can subscribe in the TV app and get a one-week free trial before you're charged.

The TV app is on the Apple TV and iOS devices, and it's even available on the third-generation Apple TV through an upcoming software update that Apple plans to release.

Apple has said the new TV app is coming in May, so we can expect tvOS 12.3 to be released then.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Public Beta of tvOS 12.3

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wonder how the picture quality of HBO shows in Apple’s TV app will compare to HBO’s app on Apple TV. Because I find GoT to be so compressed it’s virtually unwatchable.

Apple did advertise best quality available. But “available” on what? Based on HBO’s app? Based on purchased copies from iTunes? There’s a big difference between the two.

Anyone give it a go yet?

FWIW, when I inquired to HBO about the poor quality, they said it’s because they don’t support televisions or devices with 4K screens. :rolleyes:

3. archer75 macrumors 68020

The apple tv app just links to the other apps. So currently when you start something playing in it, it's the stream via the app it links to.
    With GoT you can also buy each episode through the iTunes store and that's a copy apple has and streams from them.

Would HBO then give episodes and movies to apple to then stream themselves rather than HBO? I doubt it. I'm not sure that leaves any reason to buy episodes in the store. I don't think either would be happy with that loss of revenue.
    But I guess we'll see.

4. Solver macrumors 6502a

The new Apple TV icon shows off a spotlight you can move around with the remote.

5. Remy149 macrumors 6502

All content in Apple TV channels will be streamed from Apple servers including hbo starz and etc. my biggest issue with the hbo go app is the volume is lower then every other app

6. Ellis.adam macrumors newbie

7. archer75 macrumors 68020

Do you have a link to this?

8. Ellis.adam macrumors newbie

I just downloaded the beta and was disappointed. I already subscribe to showtime and STARZ via dish network and watch then via the Showtime Anytime and STARZ apps. When I try to use the new channels for showtime and STARZ if I want to use the full features (watch in the TV app instead of being routed to the respective apps or watch live stream option in the Channel on the TV app) I am forced to pay an extra monthly fee. This is my biggest gripe with the TV app so far. I already access these networks with a subscription so I shouldn’t be forced to pay twice to use the channels in the TV app.

Also, where is the news tab?

It’s still missing a place where I can access all of the live streams from channels and see what’s on right now. Sometimes I just like to turn a station on (food network, hgtv, espn) and have it on in the background without picking a specific show.

Sports integration is good but it’s missing some key players. All of my local teams are on the Fox Sports GO app and this app does not integrate with the TV app. So every night I see that the Pistons, Tigers, Red Wings games are on and I click and the link for MLB TV or NBA TV. All of which I can’t subscribe to services because the teams are local and all of the feeds are blacked out expect the Fox Sports GO feed.

9. archer75 macrumors 68020

None of that is really in apples control. They are at the mercy of what the content providers allow them to do.
    Fox sports go being in the TV app is up to Fox. Local blackouts have been around for many decades and that's not going to change any time soon unfortunately.

As far as showtime, etc. goes it doesn't require another fee necessarily, just a change in your subscripton. Showtime, starz, HBO all have 2 versions of their apps. One you get to use when you pay directly to cable/satellite and the other you get to use if subscribe directly to the app outside of cable/satellite. They have chosen to only allow their al-a-cart apps work with the apple tv app. My guess is amazon is the same way.

I would love to have all the live streams in one place. I'm just not sure if that's an apple thing or the content providers who have to allow it.

10. Ellis.adam macrumors newbie

I just downloaded the beta and was disappointed. I already subscribe to showtime and STARZ via dish network and watch then via the Showtime Anytime and STARZ apps. When I try to use the new channels for showtime and STARZ if I want to use the full features (watch in the TV app instead of being routed to the respective apps or watch live stream option in the Channel on the TV app) I am forced to pay an extra monthly fee. This is my biggest gripe with the TV app so far. I already access these networks with a subscription so I shouldn’t be forced to pay twice to use the channels in the TV app.

Also, where is the news tab?

It’s still missing a place where I can access all of the live streams from channels and see what’s on right now. Sometimes I just like to turn a station on (food network, hgtv, espn) and have it on in the background without picking a specific show.

Sports integration is good but it’s missing some key players. All of my local teams are on the Fox Sports GO app and this app does not integrate with the TV app. So every night I see that the Pistons, Tigers, Red Wings games are on and I click and the link for MLB TV or NBA TV. All of which I can’t subscribe to services because the teams are local and all of the feeds are blacked out expect the Fox Sports GO feed.

Thanks for the reply. I use my parents dish network so I doubt I can get them to switch paying for all the channels on dish and through Apple instead.

As for the fox sports go app, I know this is out of apples control, but it seems like they work with certain partners at different times. At one of their keynotes, I remember one of the key points was fox sports go multi stream and they were one of the cutting edge apps on the new Apple tc. Now for some reason they don’t use all the features of the tv anymore.

11. mccaffertee macrumors member

mccaffertee

Considering this new app is from the leading technology company,
    who has been "the" leader in innovation,
    who has more resources than any other "2" companies in the world,
    and...considering there are quite a few seriously good apps out there as examples,
    I would like to understand WHY this app is so cluttered, confusing and difficult to figure out,
    when I think it should be and simple and slick.
    IMO, NBC has a much better app and is much more user friendly.
    THIS MAY BE "THE" FINAL STRAW FOR ME...

12. zinman macrumors member

Asking Siri to search for a movie on 12.3, I get a blank gray screen. Restarted multiple times.

13. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

You can watch Showtime East & West live. It’s not as easy to get to as i’d like, but still easier than last time I subscribed to SHO on Hulu. Haven’t tried STARZ yet. Siri still wants to open PS Vue when I ask to play Showtime, though.

Don’t like how it switched to a bright screen when I go to view details. Detailed screen can get cluttered but I like how they show app icons for what you can open the video in.