Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of tvOS 15 to public beta testers, allowing members of the public to download and test the new update on modern Apple TV models.

apple-tv-4k-design-triad.jpg

Public beta testers can download the tvOS 15 beta update by opening up the Settings app on the Apple TV, navigating to the Software Updates section under "System," and then toggling on "Get public Beta Updates" after signing up to beta test on Apple's public beta website.

tvOS updates are often minor in scale, but there are some notable new additions that are coming. SharePlay, a FaceTime feature that lets multiple users watch TV shows or movies together, will integrate with tvOS, and there's a new "For All of You" recommendation engine that suggests shows everyone might enjoy.

A Shared With You section also displays movies and shows that were shared with you through the Messages app so you remember to check them out. When paired with AirPods Pro or AirPods Max, the Apple TV supports Spatial audio for a theater-like surround sound experience, and there's a new feature for automatically connecting your AirPods through Smart AirPods routing.

Two HomePod mini speakers can be paired with the Apple TV 4K for stereo sound, and if you have HomeKit cameras, you can view multiple cameras at the same time on the Apple TV.

Apple may add new features or refine existing features throughout the tvOS 15 beta testing process, with the software set to be released in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Public Beta of tvOS 15

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Hope power button on Siri remote can learn IR now
Did you check this? this was problem for mine:

Make sure that HDMI-CEC is on​

If some features don't work, check the following:
  1. Make sure that your TV or receiver offers HDMI-CEC support. For help, ask the TV manufacturer or check the manual.
  2. Check that HDMI-CEC is turned on in the menu of your TV or receiver. Use the remote that came with your equipment. Since manufacturers often have different names for HDMI-CEC, look for a setting that ends in "Link" or "Sync." Here are some examples:
  • LG: SimpLink
  • Philips: EasyLink
  • Samsung: Anynet+
  • Sharp: Aquos Link
  • Sony: BRAVIA Sync

muzzymate

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
I wish it was that simple. I'd love to have the power button be able to learn IR. For example, my LG TV has SimpLink enabled. However, HDMI-CEC (the Apple TV) will only turn the TV on. It will not turn it off.

My Panasonic TV was the opposite. HDMI-CEC (the Apple TV) would turn the TV off but not turn it on. Thankfully, this TV had a way to enable the ability to have HDMI-CEC turn the TV on. The TV ships with the setting of "Power on link" defaulted to off. My LG TV has no such option.

Reactions: sos47

HansHeino

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Zwolle, NL
I'm happy to bring you the news that I'm finally being able to color calibrate my screen. The process doesn't give me an error (after the white color patch) anymore. Great!

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Did you check this? this was problem for mine:

Make sure that HDMI-CEC is on​

If some features don't work, check the following:
  1. Make sure that your TV or receiver offers HDMI-CEC support. For help, ask the TV manufacturer or check the manual.
  2. Check that HDMI-CEC is turned on in the menu of your TV or receiver. Use the remote that came with your equipment. Since manufacturers often have different names for HDMI-CEC, look for a setting that ends in "Link" or "Sync." Here are some examples:
  • LG: SimpLink
  • Philips: EasyLink
  • Samsung: Anynet+
  • Sharp: Aquos Link
  • Sony: BRAVIA Sync

Power button has always worked with my LG. I have CEC on.

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
I wish it was that simple. I'd love to have the power button be able to learn IR. For example, my LG TV has SimpLink enabled. However, HDMI-CEC (the Apple TV) will only turn the TV on. It will not turn it off.

My Panasonic TV was the opposite. HDMI-CEC (the Apple TV) would turn the TV off but not turn it on. Thankfully, this TV had a way to enable the ability to have HDMI-CEC turn the TV on. The TV ships with the setting of "Power on link" defaulted to off. My LG TV has no such option.
Used to work fine on Sony. They released an update and poof, no more functionalit.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Have to admit, looking forward to the iPod mini pairing in this release.
It did in the last release, and for a long time of betas even before 15. It has also been able to be set as default output (atmos enabled) at least since the first 15.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
what build are you seeing. Mine is 15.0 (19J5288e), I am not seeing an update. Did the AppleTV update already? It always requires me to perform it manually

MrSoiSauce

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
Has anyone been able to set a pair of stereo HomePod minis as default? Mine don’t show up
I tried, but it isn’t showing up. I think the problem is that the HomePod mini is still on iOS 14.6 instead of iOS 15 Beta (a problem that I believe can’t be solved, due to the lack of betas for HomeKit hubs, aside from Apple TV). Once both the HomePod mini and the Apple TV are on the latest version of their respective software, then we will be able to connect them as the default speaker system.

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
Seems model specific then, because my Sony (65XG9505) works fine

I have the Bravia (Sam's Club CH model). Works great.
The only bug Ive run into so far is switching from Music to PlutoTV App. Every so often I need to go back to Home Screen to get the audio to work in PlutoTV. That could be ATV, PlutoTV or my Soundbar. Not a big issue but hoping the new release fixes it.

xyz01

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
Spatial Audio enabled?

Yes. Unfortunately, so far I'm a bit disappointed.

What I want is surround sound in my AirPod Max headphones, for all services sending surround sound to the AppleTV and that normally works well with my standard surround sound system.

Here, however, at least on Netflix it seems to be just stereo still - while they have added head tracking surround sound to AppleTV+. The head tracking was always an impressive, but absolutely useless, gimmick on the iPad and is no less so when watching the TV. I'd much rather have "just" surround sound on every service than head tracking surround sound in some places.

Actually, if I could turn off the head tracking I'd do that.

Reactions: Bswails

thesaint580

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Yes. Unfortunately, so far I'm a bit disappointed.

What I want is surround sound in my AirPod Max headphones, for all services sending surround sound to the AppleTV and that normally works well with my standard surround sound system.

Here, however, at least on Netflix it seems to be just stereo still - while they have added head tracking surround sound to AppleTV+. The head tracking was always an impressive, but absolutely useless, gimmick on the iPad and is no less so when watching the TV. I'd much rather have "just" surround sound on every service than head tracking surround sound in some places.

Actually, if I could turn off the head tracking I'd do that.
Thank you for confirming it’s been enabled. Read on Reddit that this version of Spatial audio in iOS or tvOS 15 converts any 5.1 to a Spatial Audio experience. Many confirmed that it works with Netflix as well.

JPOWA

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Thank you for confirming it’s been enabled. Read on Reddit that this version of Spatial audio in iOS or tvOS 15 converts any 5.1 to a Spatial Audio experience. Many confirmed that it works with Netflix as well.

Spacial Audio was working just fine on Netflix till today. Today I notice that Netflix updated their app and now it’s not working

When I’m with AirPods Max connected to Apple TV, Netflix no longer shows audio as 5.1 or Atmos and when I check AirPods Max options it says that the audio is Stereo.

Don’t know if this was on purpose or not but it’s a shame it was fantastic.

I hope that Netflix didn’t that on purpose but since they made, somehow, public that they don’t intend to support spacial áudio I wonder…

EDIT: now I start to suspect it’s on purpose. When I turn of the spacial audio, the audio below changes to “Multichannel available”. When I turn it on then changes to stereo.

Last edited:

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
Sony just released another firmware update that fixes this. Apple TV can now turn on AND off a sony TV through HDMI-CEC.

It just came out? I just checked and it isn't showing an update available. I think(?) my version is from late February (that says I have the latest).

thesaint580

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Spacial Audio was working just fine on Netflix till today. Today I notice that Netflix updated their app and now it’s not working

When I’m with AirPods Max connected to Apple TV, Netflix no longer shows audio as 5.1 or Atmos and when I check AirPods Max options it says that the audio is Stereo.

Don’t know if this was on purpose or not but it’s a shame it was fantastic.

I hope that Netflix didn’t that on purpose but since they made, somehow, public that they don’t intend to support spacial áudio I wonder…

EDIT: now I start to suspect it’s on purpose. When I turn of the spacial audio, the audio below changes to “Multichannel available”. When I turn it on then changes to stereo.
Oh no not good. Was really looking forward to this feature. Will hold off till things get fixed. Disappointing indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.