Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of tvOS 16 to its public beta testing group, allowing members of the public to download and test the new update on Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K models.

apple-tv-4k-design-triad.jpg

Public beta testers can download the tvOS 16 beta update by opening up the Settings app on the Apple TV, navigating to the Software Updates section under "System," and then toggling on "Get public Beta Updates" after signing up to beta test on Apple's public beta website.

tvOS 16 adds cross-device connectivity, which will let developers integrate Apple TV apps with iPhone and iPad apps to unlock new experiences on the Apple TV. Multiple user profiles have also been improved through a shared keychain feature that cuts down on logins.

Game controller support has been expanded to the Nintendo Joy-Cons and Nintendo Pro Controller, and HDR10+ support is available in the Apple TV app. In the future, the Apple TV will support Matter, an upcoming smart home standard that will improve interoperability between accessories from different companies.

tvOS 16 is set to come out this fall, and it will go through several rounds of beta testing before launch.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Public Beta of tvOS 16

Realityck

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Just installed, I don’t see any difference
Perhaps we will get away somewhat of this requirement to log in again to streaming apps every 30 days authenticated to TV provider. (I wish)

recent beta 3 changes

Networking​

New Features in tvOS 16 beta 3​

• Added NSURLSession support for client-certificate based authentication. (24523955)
  • Added URLSession support for Private Access Tokens. (82937526)

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2007
How does one enable HDR10+? I still only have the standard 4K HDR setting. I have a 2020 Samsung The Frame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.