Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of the upcoming tvOS 17 update to its public beta testing group, allowing the general public to download and test the update ahead of its September launch.

apple-tv-4k-design-triad.jpg

Public beta testers can download the tvOS 17 beta by opening up the Settings app on Apple TV, choosing the Software Updates section under System, and then toggling on the Get Public Beta Updates option. Signing up on Apple's public beta website is also required.

tvOS 17 adds FaceTime to the Apple TV, with an iPhone or iPad serving as the camera. The FaceTime interface shows up on the bigger display of the TV, and Center Stage keeps you front and center as you move around the room. There's even a Split View option so you can use FaceTime while watching TV or playing a game on the other part of the screen.

tvos-17-facetime.jpg

There's a revamped Control Center that makes it quicker to get to key settings and information without needing to go into the Settings app, plus it supports useful shortcuts and tools that are customized for each user.

If you have a second-generation Siri Remote, you can use the Apple TV Remote section in the iPhone's Control Center to track it down, preventing you from losing your remote.

Other new features in tvOS 17 include new aerial screen savers, screen savers based on the Memories section of the Photos app, an enhance dialogue option to make it easier to hear what's being said on a TV show or movie, and more. Additional details can be found in our Apple TV roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Public Beta of tvOS 17

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Guessing we'll have to wait for third-party VPN devs to come up with VPN access?

At this point, the only non-VPNed devices that I have are ATVs...

(Not for region shifting, but keeping traffic and traffic patterns away from my ISP)

Reactions: sos47

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
My ATV 4k refuses to update to this. Every time it runs through the process it stays at the most recent 16PB. I give up.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
How stable is this? Do they come with updated apps? Cuz some of the apps like Netflix occasionally crash (every week or so) on my 2022 Apple TV 4K. It's much less of an occurrence on my 2017 Apple TV 4K and my 2015 Apple TV HD.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Try turning off beta updates, then re-enable beta updates, with agreement, and see if ti show up, it should.
I have several times. Doesn’t help. Goes through the update and then when it’s back it’s still on 16.6

zenzen70

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
My ATV 4k refuses to update to this. Every time it runs through the process it stays at the most recent 16PB. I give up.
Hi I faced the same exact problems with two ATVs 4k 1st gen. I followed the procedure below trying to troubleshoot the issue.

ATV 1: Failed to update from 16.6 to 17 as developer or pb tester. Resorted to resetting the ATV whilst on 16.6 , following this apple user data was not syncing with iphone, as ATV failed to sync user profile, this was only corrected when the LAN cable of ATV was disconnected and the ATV was connected via the same Wifi as the iphone. Only then could i sync user profile and subsquently update ATV to 17.

ATV 2:From previous experience I disconnected the LAN cable and proceeded with update whilst connected via Wifi it worked and updated my ATV to 17.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Hi I faced the same exact problems with two ATVs 4k 1st gen. I followed the procedure below trying to troubleshoot the issue.

ATV 1: Failed to update from 16.6 to 17 as developer or pb tester. Resorted to resetting the ATV whilst on 16.6 , following this apple user data was not syncing with iphone, as ATV failed to sync user profile, this was only corrected when the LAN cable of ATV was disconnected and the ATV was connected via the same Wifi as the iphone. Only then could i sync user profile and subsquently update ATV to 17.

ATV 2:From previous experience I disconnected the LAN cable and proceeded with update whilst connected via Wifi it worked and updated my ATV to 17.
Thank you! However the ATV I tried this on is on wifi, not LAN.

zenzen70

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you! However the ATV I tried this on is on wifi, not LAN.

Then best option if you do not want to reset is to wait for final release of 16.6 or new pb beta of 17. I decided to go ahead and reset a i needed tvos17 for testing purposes.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Then best option if you do not want to reset is to wait for final release of 16.6 or new pb beta of 17. I decided to go ahead and reset a i needed tvos17 for testing purposes.
Thank you. I tired the 17pb today and same issue. That on an ATV 4k1. Will try the others again and let you know.

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
Will Fitness+ on tvOS 17 work with a Watch that’s still running watchOS 9? I usually don’t bother with watch betas but I kinda want to check out some Apple TV features…

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Will Fitness+ on tvOS 17 work with a Watch that’s still running watchOS 9? I usually don’t bother with watch betas but I kinda want to check out some Apple TV features…
Yes. That is my scenario. My ATV is the only thing on 17 (my watch and phone both on 16).

Works fine, though don’t bother to spend time saving a new stack (a new feature) on the ATV as it forgets it on next logon. Maybe need iOS17 for that.

Reactions: Yonizzle

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Can anyone with a moment (and both bits of hardware) confirm whether a modern Atv supports 21:9 ultrawide displays, or if it's still limited to outputting 16:9 and ending up with the frustrating double-letterboxed result?

If a new Atv doesn't do it, this old 2015 MBP will become my new Atv.

Last edited:
Reactions: zapmymac

danlat1415

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
Is there a way to transfer from being on TVOS Developer Beta to the Public Beta instead?

I'm currently running TVOS Developer Beta 3 (with mid cycle update) and watch to change to Public Beta instead as I'd expect them to be less buggy and more refunded for public use

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I wish they had a more versatile way of showing lists of movies and tv shows purchased

Scrolling endlessly gets old very quickly

Maybe putting them in sub folders like in the actual OS ??

danlat1415

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
Is there a way to transfer from being on TVOS Developer Beta to the Public Beta instead?

I'm currently running TVOS Developer Beta 3 (with mid cycle update) and watch to change to Public Beta instead as I'd expect them to be less buggy and more refunded for public use
For anyone interested in this - you need to go into system settings, updates and turn OFF Beta updates.
Then turn Beta updates back on and you now get the option to select either Public Beta or Developer Beta. (Previously only Developer was available).
Checking up updates says you're already on the latest version (if you were already on Developer Beta 3 + mid-cycle update that was pushed out to fix a number of apps that weren't working).

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
No news on native VPNs support?
There's a Beta VPN (FloVPN) but I haven't been reading good things about it. Many have signed up for one month and end up being charged for a year with no recourse. The log where you have been, etc. On a positive note----it works so (hopefully) more VPNs will follow, soon.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
So oddly enough I tried to install the PB on a different ATV 4K1 I have in the bathroom and that installed without issues. The other ATV is stuck on 16.6. I think I’ll just wait for the general release on that one.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Seems to be a bug with Up Next on the top bar-when I select my profile it remains blank but when selecting my wife’s profile her shows then appear….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.