Apple Releases First Update to Safari Technology Preview Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 13, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser that debuted on March 30. Release 2 includes a long list of feature tweaks and updates to JavaScript, CSS, Web APIs, Web Inspector, Accessibility, Rendering, Media, and Networking, plus bug fixes. Release notes are available on Apple's Safari Technology Preview website.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser.

[​IMG]

Apple's goal with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development ahead of launch. Safari Technology Preview can be run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while aimed at developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Update to Safari Technology Preview Browser

2. JoshDoug macrumors member

JoshDoug

When this was implemented in the Firefox Nightly I initially thought it was a joke, not that I'm complaining.

Would be nice if Preview and Stable were represented in the Webkit (or separate) Platform status, although release notes are nice.

3. coolfactor macrumors 68040

"Safari Technology Preview 2" --- why 2 in the name? Why not just have a separate version number? Are we going to have "Safari Technology Preview 641" one day? I do not understand Apple devs these days. They ignore obvious things in OS X and focus on new features only to release them in a confusing, poorly-planned way.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I thought these were going to be nightly updates?

In any event, they're going to be super common... do we really need a little article for each and every one of them?

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Because it's a versioning number? Like beta 1, beta 2, etc.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2016 ---
    I guess it might depend on how common these will actually be.

6. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

I could't be happier with the Technology Preview. It's so much faster than the regular Safari, and it's nice to actually receive updates on a frequent basis. Apple should move all the build-in apps to the App Store and update them more frequently than the rest of the OS.

7. 2457244 macrumors regular

This software is a Preview version. It's like a release candidate. As soon as it's steady enough they will probably give it a better name tag.

8. ScottHammet macrumors regular

Fired it up and it immediately grabbed 60% of the CPU. Closed and reopened...same deal. We'll see if it continues.

9. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Must you really complain about the version number? It's listed as version 2 in the App Store to distinguish it from the first release, that doesn't mean they'll keep advancing the number forever...

10. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Do you have a slow CPU that this would matter much? I'm sure after extended use the cycle will lower

11. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Either these out of band previews and releases are a sign OS 10.12 and iOS 10 might either come earlier than the fall or a little later. Obviously, a new iPhone has to be accompanied by a new release of iOS. OS X itself seems to be ending the scheduled fall release cycle.

12. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I just downloaded it and the speed seems to be the same as normal Safari.

Shame it can't load history from normal Safari too, I have plenty of open tabs + each and every tab in my normal safari also has history built into it, if I open the Technology preview it should be possible to load that content, sadly it can't.

13. myname70 macrumors 6502a

Downloaded and use it now. But can it find a difference between normal safari and this one. Can someone summarize the most important benefits of the new safari technology ?

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Same, I'm finding no speed differences. That said both safari and the preview versions are so fast compared to both Firefox and Chrome, I have nothing to complain about.

I'm glad that two versions have separate history as I prefer that. After all, Chrome Canary and Firefox work the same way, being a development browser.

What I don't like, is if I clear history on the Preview version, it also clears history on all other devices which doesn't make sense if the histories are separate.

15. JoshDoug macrumors member

JoshDoug

If you want nightlies download WebKit, this is more of a 'as close to bleeding edge while still being stable' kinda deal.

16. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Webkit doesn't work with iCloud though so you don't get stuff like iCloud Keychain or iCloud tabs.

17. aldrinjtauro macrumors regular

Mine is sharing history, since I have Safari sync turned on in iCloud settings. Also shows iCloud tabs from my iPhone, as well as the shipping version of Safari on my MacBook.

They probably don't want the two versions of Safari sharing the same data files in the Library folder, kind of like Chrome and Chrome Canary. In case some bug in the preview messes up the regular installation.

18. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

The most important part of this browser is that it implements the latest spec of JavaScript, ES6, and upcoming web technologies such as ES7 (not yet released version of JavaScript coming this year). It goes without saying this version of Safari will become the standard version of Safari once the next macOS is released so think of this browser as Apple's way of saying: "Hey devs, take Safari seriously again because we're about to bring it up to date with even more features than what Chrome has at the moment."

Why do they need to do this? Well the features of ES6/7 are not completely native to current browsers (namely Chrome, Firefox and Safari)... Well, I say that... actually the big browsers at the moment do have support for the new ES features but not to the extent where developers can feel free to run native ES6/7. At the moment, developers have to transpile code written in the newest, fastest, latest spec of JavaScript to an older version that has a much better coverage on all browsers. Safari (along with many other browsers) didn't have any of the new JS features so developers couldn't use any of said features unless they were prepared to transpile their code. Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge are all slowly updating but Safari hasn't. The Technology Preview finally both evidence that Apple will definitely include ES6 in the next version of Safari and it's also a way for developers to start testing out their code on an official development branch of Safari.

So just like Chrome has stable Chrome, beta Chrome and Chrome Canary, Safari now has stable Safari, Safari Technology Preview and WebKit.

Excuse me if my explanation was off but that's the way I see it. I'm not Apple so I don't have the official story.

19. east85, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

east85 macrumors 65816

east85

20. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Yes, mine (auto) updated a couple of hours ago.

21. pdxplm macrumors newbie

pdxplm

I've been using this the last couple of days and have found that it's definitely zippier, no crashes, no hangs. Regular Safari got meet the point where I was ready to go 100% chrome. My faith in Safari has been renewed with this release!

22. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I don't get it, Safari is by far the best browser and has been since Mavericks, no crashes, fast and reliable.

I have about >20 open tabs and have no problems.

23. JoshDoug macrumors member

JoshDoug

You want to use nightlies for your primary browser?!

24. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'm a developer. I always use a nightly browser.