Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This update only applies if you BTO'd your MacBook Pro with a Seagate 500GB 7200RPM drive and only that drive. If you replaced the HD yourself, then it's an aftermarket drive and Apple does nothing for that.

floam

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2006
This update only applies if you BTO'd your MacBook Pro with a Seagate 500GB 7200RPM drive and only that drive.

That is incorrect. The 320GB 7200RPM BTO drive has the same problem. This update will show up in Software Update if you have the 7200RPM 320GB drive, and it definitely updates the firmware for it.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
This appears for a 2009 MBP with the 7200rpm drive, but not for one with the stock drive.

Note Apple makes no claims about freezing, either the momentary one associated with the clickbeep issue, or the longer near 30 second ones. It only talks about "reducing certain noises".

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    79 KB · Views: 115

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
It only talks about "reducing certain noises".

Even better, "infrequent" noises. Even though my 2 drives (original one which failed all S.M.A.R.T. tests, short and long, and AppleCare replacement) click+beeped only a few times per day, those youtube videos clearly showed some seagates clicking and beeping pretty regularly... PR department working overtime at Apple anymore.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
It's not as simple as just trying to disable the SMS. For those who've waded through the tens of pages of the Apple support thread, will know there are lots of possible fixes, but few that work currently.
BACK UP

Your computer requires this update.

Backup the data on your hard disk to an external disk or removable media before using this update. If you're already backed up the data, click Restart to begin the update.

Do not reset, shut down, or turn off the power to your computer while updating your hard disk. If there's a problem during the update, your hard disk may become unusable and all the data on it could be lost.

When the update is complete, your computer will shut down. Wait one minute before restarting it.

When your computer restarts you'll see a message that your hard disk is up to date.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 128

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
And how is Apple supposed to get the firmware from other vendors to update the drives? Keep in mind that Dell has the same issue with these drives too, so it's likely Seagate's problem.
Which other vendors? We're talking about a specific set/batch of Seagate hard drives. Nothing more. And it could as well be an OS problem, but that's just a wild speculation.

Maybe it isn't completely Apple's fault. Perhaps you should contact Seagate if you bought aftermarket?
No failing after market drives here. And I would have contacted Seagate's support devision right away after experiencing the first few clicks.

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
I'm confused. I have a Unibody MacBook Pro 17" purchased 2 weeks ago, custom configured with a 500 GB 7200 drive. I checked Apple system profiler and it shows my drive as Model #ST9500420ASG. (Seagate Momentus 7200.4 SATA 500-GB Hardrive.)

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...ecadd110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&locale=en-US

I ran software update and it did not see the firmware update. So I did a manual download and tried to run it and I got an error message saying "This computer does not need this update."

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
OK - So I have a MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo that's a couple of years old and I just upgraded my hard drive to one of these Seagate 500 GB hard drives. And I have been hearing the little beep every once in awhile. How do I get the update from Apple? Both updates have not appeared in my Software Update.

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
I'm confused. I have a Unibody MacBook Pro 17" purchased 2 weeks ago, custom configured with a 500 GB 7200 drive. I checked Apple system profiler and it shows my drive as Model #ST9500420ASG. (Seagate Momentus 7200.4 SATA 500-GB Hardrive.)

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...ecadd110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&locale=en-US

I ran software update and it did not see the firmware update. So I did a manual download and tried to run it and I got an error message saying "This computer does not need this update."
I'm running snow leopard so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
OK - So I have a MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo that's a couple of years old and I just upgraded my hard drive to one of these Seagate 500 GB hard drives. And I have been hearing the little beep every once in awhile. How do I get the update from Apple? Both updates have not appeared in my Software Update.

Basically, you are screwed. There is no update for you.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
OK - So I have a MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo that's a couple of years old and I just upgraded my hard drive to one of these Seagate 500 GB hard drives. And I have been hearing the little beep every once in awhile. How do I get the update from Apple?
By following the link in the first post!

Both updates have not appeared in my Software Update.
Both? You mean you don't have iLife '09 (assuming that you are talking about the screen shot posted by t0mat0 / #32).

relativist

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
You mean to tell me that Apple put in a drive that has the acceleration sensor as a BTO option?! That's ridiculous, whoever did that should be in big trouble. I almost made the mistake of ordering one, and someone warned me not to do it, and get the "non-g" version, but I didn't know that Macbook had such sensors built in. Good news is that my 500GB Seagate works just fine on my Macbook.

kashkha

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009

You may already have the firmware. I had my MBP from june replaced 2 weeks ago, and it already had the new firmware pre-installed. In system profiler it should say 0007APM2 under "Revision" for your HDD.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC

Both? You mean you don't have iLife '09 (assuming that you are talking about the screen shot posted by t0mat0 / #32).

No - I'm pretty sure there was an earlier update to this hard drive issue and that this is version 2.0 of the update. Not talking about the screenshot.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC

Oh and that link does not do the trick for me. When I download the update and try to run it, it says my machine doesn't need the update and closes. Thanks, but I think the update assumes that my machine does not have one of the affected hard drives without actually looking at my hard drive.

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
This firmware update is set to fix the clicking noises only – don't tell me that you have set this energy saver preference: [V] "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible."

My understanding was that it was beeping noises and brief freezes:

"Users of the drives have been reporting for several months that their drives periodically make a "beeping" noise that is frequently accompanied by brief freezes of their systems."

I know it was a long-shot but it's a 7,200rpm Seagate drive. I don't have that preference set and the freezes are definitely not expected behaviour and are not when the MBP's been idle.

EDIT: Looking at the product page for my BTO HDD: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...c0780210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD&locale=en-US it lists in the features: G-Force Protection™ feature. Surely that's needs an update? Perhaps there will be other updates for other similar drives shortly

BVGuitarPlayer

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
This is glorious... had it for half an hour and no more beeping no more freezing. I have a 17" Unibody MBP configured in June with the 7200 drive.

(The beeping and freezing did not occur concurrently, they would both be random, sporadic and frequent). So far, no more. Thank you Apple, for not pissing me off this week with more unnecessary freezes that my Dad's Dell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.