Apple Releases Fourth Beta of iOS 12.3 With New TV App to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming iOS 12.3 update to developers, one week after releasing the third beta and a month after the launch of iOS 12.2, an update that introduced Apple News+, new Animoji, and more.

Registered developers will be able to download the new iOS 12.3 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

[​IMG]

iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 introduce a new version of Apple's TV app, which has been updated with a new look and fresh functionality.

In the new TV app, "Watch Now" and "Up Next" are still front and center for keeping track of what you're watching, but there's a new machine learning-based recommendation engine that will suggest content based on your viewing preferences and history.

The app's interface has been streamlined with sections for movies, TV shows, sports, and kids content, and on iOS, there's a separate bottom bar for the library, search, and Watch Now options.

[​IMG]

There's a new "Channels" feature in the TV app, which is one of the major new components of Apple's services push. Channels are subscription services that you can sign up for and watch within the TV app without having to open up another app.

So, for example, if you come across a show you want to watch on your iPhone or Apple TV that's on Showtime or Starz, you can tap to subscribe right in the TV app, and then you can watch that show without having to open another app.

Some of the new Channels that will be supported include CBS All Access, Starz, Showtime, HBO, Nickelodeon, Mubi, The History Channel Vault, and Comedy Central Now. During the beta, though, users can subscribe to Showtime, Starz, Smithsonian, EPIX, and Tastemade.

[​IMG]

You'll still get recommendations for content from services that aren't a part of the Channels feature, but non-channel content will need to be watched in a third-party app. The TV app also houses iTunes TV shows and movies.

When Apple debuts its Apple TV+ service this fall, all of the company's original TV shows and movies will also be accessible in the TV app. iOS 12.3 will be in beta testing for the next few weeks ahead of a May launch, the month when Apple said the new TV app will be released.

Article Link: Apple Releases Fourth Beta of iOS 12.3 With New TV App to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

2. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

3. hermes16 macrumors member

alright new Emoji's, I want the emoji job.

4. azdolan macrumors member

Good. This beta has been incredibly buggy with Safari

5. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

I hope the PB comes out, this current beta sucks! Fast when it runs but safari locks up and crashes all the time

6. nutmac macrumors 601

iOS TV app is still a mess. I think the part of the problem is lack of customizability. There's just so much contents on a single page (the theme that's repeated on Music and News apps). At the very least, Apple should let me hide certain sections.

Also, the video playback UI is highly lacking. Scrubber on the top is almost unusable, frequently triggering Notification Center. Move the scrubber to the bottom and add 10/15 second rewind and forward buttons just like the web video UI.

7. mofoliar macrumors 6502

mofoliar

No public release, given beta is terribly bad!

8. BarrettF77 macrumors 6502

BarrettF77

Why make a comment like this? You don't know and also there are those like myself on the PB3 for 12.3 and it does need to be updated with a new one. Yes I get that their software as of late has been $#itty. But can't stay on a bad version either.

9. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

Not sure what Smithsonian channel is doing. You sub their app and it doesn’t contain current seasons or eps of their shows. ??

So you pay the $4 a month and get less access than just having it as part of your channel lineup for the same price EXCEPT for that price you get even more stations, some even of interest. (PsVue)

10. fredrik9 macrumors regular

fredrik9

Is there any double tap for forward/backward?

11. now i see it macrumors 68040

TV app will be a work in progress for some time to come. The problem with all these integrated Apple iOS apps is that non of them can be updated without updating the whole freaking OS.

12. cmaier macrumors G5

Hmm. Still not seeing it over the air. Typical.

13. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

It always seems to take a half hour to an hour.

14. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors 6502

Jimmy Bubbles

I’m truly considering going back to my archived 12.2 at this rate.

15. johnyslats macrumors 65816

johnyslats

OTA now available

16. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

anybody else have an issue with homekit where evrryday at 1:45 EST home thinks i go home?

17. GregJohn macrumors regular

GregJohn

I hope this fixes the weird freezing/glitches from the last couple betas

18. tothemoonsands macrumors member

tothemoonsands

Really hoping that Home Sharing is fixed in this new iOS app. Between duplicate libraries, “not authorized” errors, etc. it is a buggy mess right now. And the thing is, it works flawlessly on tvOS

19. nutmac macrumors 601

Nope as of 3rd developer beta.

20. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

Why do all of Apple's first party apps look identical and terrible these days?

21. AngerDanger, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

22. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

The Safari bug appears to be fixed in the latest update. No freezes, etc for me since installing.

23. MauiPa macrumors 6502

Mine is fine. Wonder what is different
    --- Post Merged, Apr 29, 2019 ---
    My safari has never crashed on it? Weird
    --- Post Merged, Apr 29, 2019 ---
    They were fixed in mine. Aka, never had em

24. BarrettF77 macrumors 6502

BarrettF77

Safari only crashed when you had auto fill completing some sites. It was random in my experience but overall stability of Safari was bad for many.

25. 0958400 Suspended

Always funny to see that they do not manage to put series in the correct sort order. Harry Potter should start with one and end with 7.2, but here it is all mixed up. :(