Apple Releases iLife and Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released a number of software updates targeting its iLife suite of applications and adding RAW image support for several digital camera models.

- iLife Support 9.0.3 (55.1 MB) addresses several minor issues and offers several general improvements to the entire iLife suite of applications.
This update addresses general compatibility issues, improves overall stability for the Media Browser, and fixes a number of other minor issues. The issues addressed include:

- Resolved memory leaks for improved performance of the Media Browser
- Corrected issues to display custom folders when added to the Media Browser
- Maintained correct image dates when importing from iPhoto to Aperture
The update is recommended for all users of Aperture 2, iLife '09 and iWork '09, and requires OS X 10.5.6 or later.

- iDVD 7.0.4 (27.5 MB) "addresses general compatibility issues and fixes an issue where iDVD is unable to add title/comment to an image in the image details list." The update is recommended for all users of iDVD 7 and requires OS X 10.5.6 or later.

- iMovie 8.0.3 (35.56 MB) addresses several minor issues and improves general compatibility and stability.
This update addresses general compatibility issues, improved overall stability and fixes a number of other minor issues. The issues addressed include:

- Support for 720p AVCHD Lite cameras and camcorders
- Deleting a beat marker no longer modifies the project duration
- Video Effects palette now uses the correct thumbnail for still images
The update is recommended for all users of iMovie '09 and requires OS X 10.5.6 or later.

- iPhoto 8.0.3 Update (96 MB) also addresses several minor issues and improves general compatibility and stability.
This update addresses general compatibility, improves overall stability and fixes a number of issues in the following areas of the application:

- Publishing to MobileMe, Facebook, and Flickr
- Slideshow playback
- Location (GPS) info embedded in emailed photos and exported JPEGs
The update is recommended for all users of iPhoto 8 and requires OS X 10.5.6 or later. Additional information on the contents of the update can be found in Apple's support document.

- Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.6 (3.9 MB) adds RAW image support to Aperture and iPhoto for the following digital cameras: Canon EOS 500D, Canon Rebel T1i, Canon EOS Kiss Digital X3, Nikon D5000, and Olympus E-30.

Article Link: Apple Releases iLife and Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Updates

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
For those who have had problems (iPhoto library slowdowns, etc.) with iLife '09... does this update help? I'm on the fence waiting to upgrade but wanted to see if some of the lingering problems got fixed.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
For those who have had problems (iPhoto library slowdowns, etc.) with iLife '09... does this update help? I'm on the fence waiting to upgrade but wanted to see if some of the lingering problems got fixed.
iPhoto required an "iPhoto Library upgrade", so it does something behind the scenes. Note, I don't have my Time Machine drive here, so this MAY force an entire library backup.

It still has the delay at startup, which I think might be to do with networking.

CPPhoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
another camera raw update.....another update without sRAW support for canon DSLR's... unacceptable apple and canon.. unacceptable.

shelt

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
NorCal
Still no support for the Panasonic DMC-LX3/ Leica DL4 raw. The camera came out in October. Not good for a company that wants to support visual artists...

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
iPhoto required an "iPhoto Library upgrade", so it does something behind the scenes. Note, I don't have my Time Machine drive here, so this MAY force an entire library backup.

It still has the delay at startup, which I think might be to do with networking.
Just a note on the TM backups....it looks like it DOES does NOT backup your entire library.

I'm still backing up, but it's looking like it wants to backup all 46GB of my iPhoto Library again.

It only ended up backing up 8.0GB.

Using the awesome utility from CharlesSoft called TimeTracker:
http://www.charlessoft.com/

....I noticed that the 8GB is mainly a folder in the iPhoto library called Data.noindex.

-Kevin

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Don't you hate the fact that Software Update doesn't check folders inside your Applications folder (I have folders for iWorks 09 and iLife 09 and both were skipped).

I first have to move the files before the update process works. Yeah yeah, symbolic links. Don't get me started. This just sucks.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Still no support for the Panasonic DMC-LX3/ Leica DL4 raw. The camera came out in October. Not good for a company that wants to support visual artists...

Evidently there are issues with these particular RAW files. Took Adobe longer that usual. And when converting to DNG; you end up with a linear DNG file (3x the size :eek:)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
another camera raw update.....another update without sRAW support for canon DSLR's... unacceptable apple and canon.. unacceptable.
As someone who owned a T1i (aka: 500D & Kiss X3) for about 48 hours before exchanging it for a 50D; I can tell you that the T1i itself doesn't support sRAW.

Mr. Frog

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
Montreal, Qc
Screensaver

It also fixed the iPhoto screen saver (slide show of random pix in the library) in a dual screen configuration.
Before, I almost always had "Choosing picture..." on my second display instead of a picture!

CPPhoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
the sRAW isn't for the consumer Rebels, its for the Mark III series, 40, 50, and 5DMK II cameras.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
the sRAW isn't for the consumer Rebels, its for the Mark III series, 40, 50, and 5DMK II cameras.
Sure, of course. I was just saying it would be odd to release an sRAW update when the only Canon added this time around doesn't support it.

I completely agree that sRAW support does need to happen and soon, if only because 16GB UDMA cards cost a fortune!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Same here. come on, why not?
Because Panasonic/Leica have done something strange with their RAW format in those cameras. Even Adobe is struggling with it:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html said:
** There is an important exception in our DNG file handling for the Panasonic DMC LX3, Panasonic DMC FX150, Panasonic DMC FZ28, Panasonic DMC-G1 and Leica D-LUX 4. For those choosing to convert these native, proprietary files to the DNG file format, a linear DNG format is the only conversion option available at this time. A linear DNG file has gone through a demosaic process that converts a single mosaic layer of red, green and blue channel information into three distinct layers, one for each channel. The resulting linear DNG file is approximately three times the size of a mosaic DNG file or the original proprietary file format.

This exception is a temporary solution to ensure that Panasonic and Leica's intended image rendering from their proprietary raw file format is applied to an image when converted DNG files are viewed in third party software titles. The same image rendering process is applied automatically in Camera Raw and in Lightroom when viewing the original proprietary raw file format.

In a future release Adobe plans to update the DNG specification to include an option to embed metadata-based representations of the lens compensations in the DNG file, allowing a mosaic DNG conversion. In the interim Adobe recommends only converting these files to DNG to allow compatibility with third party raw converters, previous versions of the Camera Raw plug-in or previous versions of Lightroom.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Same here. come on, why not?
Because Panasonic/Leica have done something strange with their RAW format in those cameras. Even Adobe is struggling with it:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html said:
** There is an important exception in our DNG file handling for the Panasonic DMC LX3, Panasonic DMC FX150, Panasonic DMC FZ28, Panasonic DMC-G1 and Leica D-LUX 4. For those choosing to convert these native, proprietary files to the DNG file format, a linear DNG format is the only conversion option available at this time. A linear DNG file has gone through a demosaic process that converts a single mosaic layer of red, green and blue channel information into three distinct layers, one for each channel. The resulting linear DNG file is approximately three times the size of a mosaic DNG file or the original proprietary file format.

This exception is a temporary solution to ensure that Panasonic and Leica's intended image rendering from their proprietary raw file format is applied to an image when converted DNG files are viewed in third party software titles. The same image rendering process is applied automatically in Camera Raw and in Lightroom when viewing the original proprietary raw file format.

In a future release Adobe plans to update the DNG specification to include an option to embed metadata-based representations of the lens compensations in the DNG file, allowing a mosaic DNG conversion. In the interim Adobe recommends only converting these files to DNG to allow compatibility with third party raw converters, previous versions of the Camera Raw plug-in or previous versions of Lightroom.
A shame, too, because I think that would be a great carry-around pocket camera (even if it technically doesn't fit in a pocket).

jazz1

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Darn It! I just ordered on of these today. I guess I'll have to update my Lightroom 1.4 to the latest greatest. Anyone using Lightroom with the LX3?

shelt

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
NorCal
Yes - I use LR 2 for all my RAW files, including the LX3. It is a GREAT little camera. My only nit is that I can't find a JPG color mode and auto white balance combo that looks exactly right. So...I shoot everything in RAW and import to LR using the "Auto" WB rather than "As shot". This gives a rendition which almost perfectly matches my best Nikon RAW conversions.

Darn It! I just ordered on of these today. I guess I'll have to update my Lightroom 1.4 to the latest greatest. Anyone using Lightroom with the LX3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.