Apple Releases iMac Software Update 1.2.1 (Tiger)

Samuel88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
W8742xxxxxxx
20" 2.4

No crashes/freezes/artifacts ever with 10.4.10 / 1.1. Trying 1.2.1 now.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacsoftwareupdate121tiger.html

EDIT:

Fast conclusion: The update didn't ruin what wasn't broken for me, it seems. I tried changing quick between screensaver, while having iPhoto running in the foreground, WoW in a window in the background -- all while spamming my cursor over the dock, magnifying it. I'm eager to hear other user's reports. I also would consider it wise to install this update, even though you haven't got any freezes, as this would help you notice a hardware problem earlier.

Samuel88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Wow Apple is really on the ball with these updates now, didn't 1.2 just come out?
It did, however it got pulled a couple of days after. I guess they realized they didn't address the problem adequately with it.

Comment

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Eager to find out if this fixes the issue... it could be the catalyst for me making the purchase! Come on Apple! :apple::):apple::):apple::):apple::):apple::):apple::):apple::)

Comment

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
And it is the same. As mentioned in another thread here.. 1.2 introduced a bug that made it impossible to upgrade to Leopard after installing it. So if you are not going to use Leopard, then 1.2.1 is going to be the same as 1.2 for users.
Its a very minor update which has nothing in it to improve the freezing issue over 1.2

Comment

chaosbunny

macrumors 68000
And it is the same. As mentioned in another thread here.. 1.2 introduced a bug that made it impossible to upgrade to Leopard after installing it. So if you are not going to use Leopard, then 1.2.1 is going to be the same as 1.2 for users.
Its a very minor update which has nothing in it to improve the freezing issue over 1.2
lol, this is getting ridiculous...

you know what the person on the apple hotline told me today?

"So if programs that use the gfx card much make your computer freeze avoid using these programs"

Um, yes, that's why I paid 2200 bucks for this...

Comment

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
lol, this is getting ridiculous...

you know what the person on the apple hotline told me today?

"So if programs that use the gfx card much make your computer freeze avoid using these programs"

Um, yes, that's why I paid 2200 bucks for this...
That's ludicrous; OSX uses the graphics card!

Comment

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Don't be naive, you know what they meant.
I was certainly not feigning naiveté; OSX itself is probably the most demanding "graphical application" on many iMacs.
(Quartz, OpenGL, CoreImage, CoreVideo, CoreAnimation are all core OSX graphics APIs)

I do know what they meant: don't run games on your iMac if they're causing problems.
It ain't the games causing the problems though, and any competent tech should know that by now. (especially if they work for Apple)

Comment

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
If you've still got freezing, I'd be starting to demand a replacement. There are plenty of freeze-free Alu Macs out there, sitting in Apple's stores and warehouses.

Comment

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
No difference in behavior:

• Screen goes black when running programs that use OpenGL
  • Google Earth causes immediate UI freeze (except mouse)
  • Gecko Engine browsers and MS Office (particularly Excel 2004) still cause random UI freezes (mouse still moves)

20" 2.4GHz 3GB RAM S/N: W8730xxxxxx

Mac OS X 10.4.10 (8R40310)

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases iMac Software Update 1.2.1 (Tiger)

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Shortly after posting the original iMac Software Update 1.2 for Tiger, Apple quietly pulled the update off their site.

Today, Apple has posted a new iMac Software Update, now at version 1.2.1.
This update is for 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with 2.0, 2.4, or 2.8 GHz processors running Mac OS X Tiger.

It improves the performance and reliability of graphics-intensive games and applications and fixes an issue that some customers encountered when installing Mac OS X Leopard after applying iMac Software Update 1.2.

Article Link

Comment

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Ha...well it took me about 5 hours to install leopard on My friends iMac. He installed that update the day it came out and the bought leopard that afternoon and I installed it for him that evening. Everything seemed to go okay (upgrade install) but after restart, I could not log in! It acted like I was going to log in and the boom...right back to the login screen. Eventually read that it was this update that caused it and an archive and install fixed it.

Comment

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Yah we know. In other words:

Stop using Photo Booth
Stop using Coverflow in iTunes
Stop using iTunes Visualizer
Stop using ... wait a min, why not just stop using OS X all together.
Stop using iLife
Stop using any kind of games
Stop using Aperture

The list goes on. Mindflux needs to lay off the Apple koolaid.

Comment

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Isn't it safe to say if your iMac is still freezing after these updates then its most likely a hardware issue?

Comment

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
I was certainly not feigning naiveté; OSX itself is probably the most demanding "graphical application" on many iMacs.
(Quartz, OpenGL, CoreImage, CoreVideo, CoreAnimation are all core OSX graphics APIs)

I do know what they meant: don't run games on your iMac if they're causing problems.
It ain't the games causing the problems though, and any competent tech should know that by now. (especially if they work for Apple)
i might not own a intel Mac, but since when did the Dock become a game, unless it became a game of chance playing with it

Comment

Dan8302

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
wait to buy

I'm thinking about upgrading to an iMac this week, should I wait? I've been hearing about this problem for a while now, is it all iMacs or just some?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.