Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iMovie 8.0.4, improving overall stability and addressing several specific issues.
This update improves overall stability and fixes a number of other minor issues. The issues addressed include:

- Fixed a problem with incorrect rotation when working with video created by iPhone 3GS
- Resolved instability when adding multiple beat markers in some languages
- Corrected an issue where iMovie could become unresponsive after using fine-tuning controls beyond the stabilized portions of a clip

The update is recommended for all users of iMovie '09.
The update weighs in at 35.56 MB and requires OS X 10.5.6 or later.

Article Link: Apple Releases iMovie 8.0.4

a6rnh

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2003
yorkshire sausage
still hate it

have gone back to imovie hd (6), this newer interface and usability is awful. i've used imovie since v1 and loved it, apple have ruined this great piece of software. it now looks like something you'd get for a pc.
:mad:

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
have gone back to imovie hd (6), this newer interface and usability is awful. i've used imovie since v1 and loved it, apple have ruined this great piece of software. it now looks like something you'd get for a pc.
:mad:

I actually think the opposite.
I too have used iMovie since it was first released.
I have made many, many movies in all version.
The latest version is great, it is easy to use and so much quicker to produce a movie. It is easy to select the clips you need, there is no rendering required and it is better integrated with other apps and the internet.

Ian

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I actually think the opposite.
I too have used iMovie since it was first released.
I have made many, many movies in all version.
The latest version is great, it is easy to use and so much quicker to produce a movie. It is easy to select the clips you need, there is no rendering required and it is better integrated with other apps and the internet.

Ian

I agree with that for the most part, but the lack of control over audio tracks, and for me, the lack of a coherent timeline, makes iMovie 6 more viable for some projects. I'm also seeing degraded quality of video from v9 which offsets a number of the added features which make it rather pleasing to work with. v9 is more fun to use, but more frustrating to work with! Not least because it seems prone to lock projects, preventing additional transitions or titles to be used, or even sharing options to be selected. It reminds me of iMovie 2!

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
Can iMovie only output files in 540p or HD? I was trying to encode and trim some files with iMovie last month, only getting those options, and if so, iMovie is almost completely worthless to me. Not being able to work with and output native resolution is disgusting to what it does to the video file.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Can iMovie only output files in 540p or HD? I was trying to encode and trim some files with iMovie last month, only getting those options, and if so, iMovie is almost completely worthless to me. Not being able to work with and output native resolution is disgusting to what it does to the video file.

What did you try? Do this:

Share -> Export Using Quicktime -> Options

Set it to whatever size you want.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I agree with that for the most part, but the lack of control over audio tracks, and for me, the lack of a coherent timeline, makes iMovie 6 more viable for some projects. I'm also seeing degraded quality of video from v9 which offsets a number of the added features which make it rather pleasing to work with. v9 is more fun to use, but more frustrating to work with! Not least because it seems prone to lock projects, preventing additional transitions or titles to be used, or even sharing options to be selected. It reminds me of iMovie 2!

The lack of audio control is driving me mad! I made a simple little 2 minute video which required some audio synced up and a few transitions, and it took me half a day. I was constantly having to think laterally to get around the limitations.

But on the other hand, I did another video (where I edited and advert to fit my band's music, for fun!) last year on the old iMovie, and it was the easiest thing in the world - and I'd never done it before.

Andrew Danks

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2006
Canada
Has anyone else tried this with Snow Leopard?

I've had so many difficulties creating movies with iMovie 8 on Snow Leopard. The timeline cursor would disappear, sections of clips could not be selected, and it was overall very unresponsive. I had to continuously restart iMovie every couple minutes. It was ridiculous. Thank god it only took a second to start up, since I'm on one of the new iMacs. Has anyone else had the same problems? Hopefully this update fixes that, although it doesn't mention it.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Has anyone else tried this with Snow Leopard?

I've had so many difficulties creating movies with iMovie 8 on Snow Leopard. The timeline cursor would disappear, sections of clips could not be selected, and it was overall very unresponsive. I had to continuously restart iMovie every couple minutes. It was ridiculous. Thank god it only took a second to start up, since I'm on one of the new iMacs. Has anyone else had the same problems? Hopefully this update fixes that, although it doesn't mention it.

I'm pretty sure they'll have a version specific to Snow Leopard. It'll probably be recompiled to be 64-bit, etc. Right now, a lot of programs that require QuickTime don't work properly in Snow Leopard (since QuickTime X is 64-bit). Final Cut Studio won't install in Snow Leopard... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.