Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5, the fifth major updates to the iOS and iPadOS 15 operating systems that were initially released in September 2021. iOS and iPadOS 15.5 come a little over two months after the launch of iOS 15.4 and iPadOS 15.4.

iOS-15.5-Version-Feature.jpg

The iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 updates can be downloaded for free and the software is available on all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the new software, go to Settings > General > Software Update.

Compared to prior iOS 15 updates, iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 are smaller in scale. There are updates to the Apple Cash card in the Wallet app and a new setting that lets Podcasts users limit the number of episodes stored on their devices. Apple's full release notes for the update are below.
iOS 15.5 includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
- Wallet now enables Apple Cash customers to send and request money from their Apple Cash card
- Apple Podcasts includes a new setting to limit episodes stored on your iPhone and automatically delete older ones
- Fixes an issue where home automations, triggered by people arriving or leaving, may fail
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 could be some of the final updates to the iOS 15 operating system as Apple is already working on iOS 16, and iOS 16 is expected to be introduced on June 6 at the start of the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 With Wallet and Podcast Updates

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
OK, but any battery drain fixes for when Apple Watch is connected? My battery life has been really poor in recent iOS updates, but when I turn off my Apple Watch or leave it at home, it's much better.

(Side note: I have a Watch Series 7 with GPS+Cellular, but the cellular part is not connected because Apple Watch is not supported by my carrier. I wonder, if I connected the cellular part, would it communicate with my iPhone less and drain the battery less? ?)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
So excited for the HomeKit automation fix. My iPhone gets stuck between my house and my parent’s house. Then I ask it to open a garage door since it didn’t when I approached home and it opens my parents garage door instead.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
OK, but any battery drain fixes for when Apple Watch is connected? My battery life has been really poor in recent iOS updates, but when I turn off my Apple Watch or leave it at home, it's much better.
I think we’ll still see some minor updates to polish the system even further, and fix those battery and performance issues. I’m sure iOS 15.5.1 is coming, at least.

Reactions: ouimetnick

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Can someone confirm if this fixes the gapless playback in Apple Music that was broken from the last update? Playback works correctly when listening thru CarPlay, but is broken when listening via BT (speaker, AirPods).

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
is Universal Control finally available?
I could not make it work no matter what

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
My Ipad is approaching the age where I wonder how many updates I will get left. It's a 2015 Ipad Pro and it's still working well, even though the Battery life is not great anymore. However, because it's so old I can really enjoy these new features like Universal Control or what else there is.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
The podcast download limiting feature will be a great feature for my elderly mom who keeps downloading episode after episode on to her 68GB iPhone SE and running out of storage and for me who has to keep showing her how to delete them!.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.