Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases iPhone Beta SDK 6

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Besides releasing Mac OS X 10.5.3 today, Apple also released a new version of the iPhone SDK (Beta 6). No details have been posted. Apple should be wrapping up development of the iPhone SDK which is expected to complete by late June. Apple will be covering many aspects of the iPhone SDK during their Worldwide Development Conference which starts on June 9th.

Previous versions of the iPhone SDK and Beta 2.0 Firmware have revealed new features coming to the iPhone, including Geotagging, 3G preferences, Chinese handwriting recognition, and Photo saving,

Article Link

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
This iPhone will be packed with new and interesting features by the time it's released. As we're inching closer to WWDC we'll surely see an announcement soon. Looking forward to finally owning an iPhone!

soloduo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
my birthday

cool my birthday is two days before the Worldwide Development Conference ill have a boost on my iphone savings i cant w8 for 3g iphone :D

indie1982

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Interesting, it requires 10.5.3

Before installing and developing with the sixth beta version of the iPhone SDK, you must first upgrade your Mac system to Mac OS X v10.5.3. To upgrade your Mac, go to System Preferences and select Software Update to install the latest version.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Its interesting that its SDK v6, and not the "final" version. I would expect the final SDK to be released at WWDC and then developers are given until the end of the month (June 27) to get their products ready.

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
Burton michigan
once the 2.0 software upgrade hits and the iphone is allowed third party apps the iphone is going to become such a powerful tool and will probably get a lot more people to switch. the iphone how it stands now is going to seem so limited in caparison.

but can we please get for texting the ability to turn the phone sideways and get a horizontal keyboard!

ruckus

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
Yay! another update to change the API and break my app! Thanks Apple! Keep them coming! (stupid beta)

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Nice in one way but not an ideal SDK.

The one thing that really bothers me about iPhone right now is the XCode based IDE and Objective C. It simply isn't a rapid development platform thus not a good place to try to deploy low volume or limited interest apps.

It is to bad Apple didn't embrace python on the platform, that would have made for an excellent platform for apps that don't need the heavy development that traditional C based languages require.

Now given that the current SDK is a bit lacking I can understand the lack of Python or anything but Objective C. To me it is a sign that Apple really slipped up bad when fleshing out the original iPhone. The IDE should have been under the same amount of development as the iPhone hardware. It is kinda sad that a company with as much cash as Apple couldn't hire a few more software engineers.

Dave

Dave

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
The one thing that really bothers me about iPhone right now is the XCode based IDE and Objective C. It simply isn't a rapid development platform thus not a good place to try to deploy low volume or limited interest apps.

It is to bad Apple didn't embrace python on the platform, that would have made for an excellent platform for apps that don't need the heavy development that traditional C based languages require.

Now given that the current SDK is a bit lacking I can understand the lack of Python or anything but Objective C. To me it is a sign that Apple really slipped up bad when fleshing out the original iPhone. The IDE should have been under the same amount of development as the iPhone hardware. It is kinda sad that a company with as much cash as Apple couldn't hire a few more software engineers.

Dave

Dave

http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/
you can't use their IDE, but it's there ... not sure how it'd work for deployment onto iPhone... or if there's Cocoa Touch support

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Yes, because every wants to saddle their phone applications with the overhead of an interpreter.

Dave

Dave

iPost

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2003

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion, interpreted languages like Python have no place on a mobile device like the iPhone. Battery life is of prime importance and I don't want my battery drained by programs written in languages like Python that are interpreted at run-time on the phone (and as such will drain the battery more) when they could have been written in a much more efficient language like Objective C. This isn't the desktop or a server... it's a mobile device. I'd rather the programmer spend a little bit more time writing a program that is power-efficient.

Have you used Objective C and the various frameworks (UIKit, CoreFoundation, etc.) that Apple provides? They are incredibly rich and offer a ton of functionality to you. You can do so much by using the built-in classes which offer a lot with typically very little coding. I've written some very useful programs with the SDK in less than a day.

Apple is absolutely justified in their choice of Objective C for the iPhone. I hope they keep Flash (another power-inefficient technology) off of the phone as well.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion, interpreted languages like Python have no place on a mobile device like the iPhone. Battery life is of prime importance and I don't want my battery drained by programs written in languages like Python that are interpreted at run-time on the phone (and as such will drain the battery more) when they could have been written in a much more efficient language like Objective C. This isn't the desktop or a server... it's a mobile device. I'd rather the programmer spend a little bit more time writing a program that is power-efficient.

Have you used Objective C and the various frameworks (UIKit, CoreFoundation, etc.) that Apple provides? They are incredibly rich and offer a ton of functionality to you. You can do so much by using the built-in classes which offer a lot with typically very little coding. I've written some very useful programs with the SDK in less than a day.

Apple is absolutely justified in their choice of Objective C for the iPhone. I hope they keep Flash (another power-inefficient technology) off of the phone as well.

you do have a very good point, but the number of people that know objective C vs the number of people that know python is vastly different

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.