Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released the long-awaited iPhone OS 3.0 (Build 7A341) for both iPhone and iPod touch via iTunes. Users should sync their devices with iTunes and check for updates in order to access the new version.

While many of the features of the new operating system have been detailed over the past few months, a large list of features are detailed by Apple:

- Copy and Paste: Quickly and easily cut, copy, and paste text from application to application. Select entire blocks of web text with a tap. Copy and paste images from the web, too.
- Landscape Keyboard: Want more room to type? Rotate iPhone to landscape to use a larger keyboard in Mail, Messages, Notes, and Safari.
- Spotlight Search: Find what you’re looking for across your iPhone, all from one place. Spotlight searches all of your contacts, email, calendars, and notes, as well as everything in your iPod.
- Safari: Enjoy faster performance, autofill user names and passwords, and more.
- Auto Wi-Fi login: Log in to a Wi-Fi hotspot and iPhone automatically logs you in when you connect again
- Find My iPhone: Find your iPhone if you lose it and protect your privacy with Remote Wipe.
- Shake to Shuffle: Give iPhone a shake and it shuffles to a different song in your music library.

Some site have offered detailed walkthroughs:

- iLounge: Review: Apple iPhone OS 3.0
- Mac|Life: 16 Tips to Become an INSTANT iPhone OS 3.0 Power-User
- Fortune: The 4 new iPhone features I use most
- iSmashPhone: How To Use The Best 40 Features of iPhone 3.0

Article Link: Apple Releases iPhone OS 3.0

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Awesome, I wonder how long this download will take today?

Comment

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
It's downloading relatively quickly considering the pent up demand.

Edit: Download is 230.1 MB. Downloaded in about 4 minutes on my 20 Mb cable connection.

Comment

dyelton

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
Still nothing here in Charlotte. :(

Edit: I take that back...just became available!

Comment

skythefly13

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Woo hoo! About time... Can't wait to try everything out!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.